Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2017, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #31
f22

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You obviously need to buy the optional Pentax KP Wrist Splint for only $385...

12-19-2017, 11:15 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just picked up a lightly used Kp, and have been experimenting with all three grip sizes. Moving from a K-5/K-3 grip, I am still getting used to the feel. My preference is for the mid size grip, mainly due to the placement of the shutter release button on the Kp. I found with the larger grip that the button was too far back from the front of the grip for me to comfortably use (the K-5/K-3 button is much closer to the front of the grip).

One other issue I noted was the position of the strap attachment on the right side. With my finger positioned to cover the shutter button, I found the split ring for the strap was pressing against my finger. Removing the ring solved the problem but obviously prevents the use of a standard strap. Whilst everyone's hands are different, I was curious if anyone else had found this to be an issue?
12-19-2017, 12:01 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reduno Quote
I just picked up a lightly used Kp, and have been experimenting with all three grip sizes. Moving from a K-5/K-3 grip, I am still getting used to the feel. My preference is for the mid size grip, mainly due to the placement of the shutter release button on the Kp. I found with the larger grip that the button was too far back from the front of the grip for me to comfortably use (the K-5/K-3 button is much closer to the front of the grip).

One other issue I noted was the position of the strap attachment on the right side. With my finger positioned to cover the shutter button, I found the split ring for the strap was pressing against my finger. Removing the ring solved the problem but obviously prevents the use of a standard strap. Whilst everyone's hands are different, I was curious if anyone else had found this to be an issue?
With the small grip* the strap lug digs into the web between my thumb and index finger. I use BB autofocus which necessitates my grip location. With the medium grip I can use my fingers more so there is less pressure on the web.

My biggest (only real) issue with KP is my muscle memory is trained to the (more natural) K-1 button locations, especially back AF button, which is poorly placed on KP. I can’t even feel for it. I have to look, and bend my thumb.

* has anyone noticed an iPhone randomly capitalized words and phrases? It auto-capped ‘small grip’
12-21-2017, 09:23 PM - 2 Likes   #34
Pentaxian

I wonder if reaction to the KP is related to experience in handling manual focus systems, which expected you'd have left hand in the vicinity of the lens and had virtually no grip. The KP reminds me of my beloved Super Program.

12-22-2017, 11:59 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I wonder if reaction to the KP is related to experience in handling manual focus systems, which expected you'd have left hand in the vicinity of the lens and had virtually no grip. The KP reminds me of my beloved Super Program.
Good point !

01-09-2018, 07:32 PM   #36
Forum Member

My first Pentax was a K30 followed by a K-3, they both have superior ergonomics. I agree that the shutter button and the AF/AE-L of the KP needs some practice. I use a leather hand/wrist strap on the right side of the KP that eliminates the bulk of a shoulder strap. I prefer the medium grip.
My first camera was a MF Minolta X-700 which I loved. It had a tiny grip, was small and compact. The KP is a more capable tool than the Minolta with plenty of features and better ergonomics, but it still reminds me the days of cool looking cameras.

Last edited by Caribe; 01-09-2018 at 08:25 PM.
01-09-2018, 08:12 PM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The KP tech. is great. Still working on getting used to the handling.

01-10-2018, 03:17 AM   #38
Veteran Member

With small grip and 18-135 it was a pain a day after but then I used medium grip and it's fine them

01-10-2018, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Since one of the main reasons I bought a KP was compactness I was happy with the small grip. But after using the largest grip with my DA300 I think I'm leaving it on. It's great having a choice!
01-11-2018, 05:11 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have pretty much settled with using the large grip. If there was the option for a XL grip, I would get it.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 01-11-2018 at 06:47 PM.
01-12-2018, 08:16 PM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
If there was the option for a XL grip, I would get it.
In a sense, there is an XL grip. It's called the D-BG7 battery grip.
01-12-2018, 08:34 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
In a sense, there is an XL grip. It's called the D-BG7 battery grip.
I just re-read the thread and realized that everyone was talking about the body grip specifically.
Already have the D-BG7 with the L and in my case it could benefit from even larger one.
01-29-2018, 07:18 PM   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by reduno Quote

I had the KP and the strap ring and lug bothered me considerably. I removed the ring, but the lug still affected me some. I returned it but now, some months later, I'm thinking about trying it again. The performance of the KP was the best from a Pentax (though I have never tried the K1). I really liked the quick autofocus (especially with the 55-300 PLM lens), the metering, the color rendition, and the 5-axis IBIS.
01-29-2018, 08:32 PM - 1 Like   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Given the obvious design cues suggesting the Asahi Pentax AP I would expect (older) shooters familiar with classic SLR ergonomics and two-handed, palm-support grip to have an immediate affinity for KP. I’ve settled on the small grip; using KP with small lenses; and using K-1 for more substantial lenses and with support.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-29-2018 at 08:40 PM.
01-30-2018, 02:17 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Given the obvious design cues suggesting the Asahi Pentax AP I would expect (older) shooters familiar with classic SLR ergonomics and two-handed, palm-support grip to have an immediate affinity for KP. I’ve settled on the small grip; using KP with small lenses; and using K-1 for more substantial lenses and with support.
Long time I‘ve been using a ME Super. So this would also be the way I‘d use a KP or a KP based mirrorless.

The changeable grip is a nice choice we get with this model. I think we won‘t get it with any other model. But we also pay a price for it - smaller battery and less ergonomic placement of the trigger. I held the KP in hands in May 2017 and liked it very much.