Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
02-27-2018, 09:27 AM - 1 Like   #16
Forum Member

I heard of the somewhat lower battery life. Solved it myself by simply buying 6 DSTE batteries on Ebay for the same price of 1 original Pentax one.

03-01-2018, 08:41 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
You do then need the charger as well for the larger capacity D-Li90 battery, which is not a given when you have no other Pentax lying around...
Forgot about that...
03-19-2018, 09:17 AM - 1 Like   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Memory, page 2, "shooting info display"
very good hint! Thanks
03-19-2018, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #19
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
The lower battery life in winter condition is particularly low in the liveview. I´ve bought 4 original Pentax batteries and one Ansmann battery (german brand). The Ansmann-battery don´t have the same battery power than the original Pentax batteries. Panaoramaphotography at dusk with liveview ist tricky, i love my Pentax KP, but at liveview, the batteryperformance of my Pentax K-1 is really more usably. Maybe there are some really good third party battery brands, i´ve tried Ansmann, Patona and VHBW (propably german brands too) and not one of this batteries are like the originals.
Today with 4 batteries there are no more problems on location in winter condition.

03-19-2018, 02:11 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DirkWitten Quote
Maybe there are some really good third party battery brands, i´ve tried Ansmann, Patona and VHBW (propably german brands too) and not one of this batteries are like the originals.
Like you, I've yet to find a third party battery with the same capacity as the OEM model. The OEMs are pricey, but worth it - although it's nice to have a few decent third party batteries for backup, which is how I tend to use them in any of my cameras.

I think the real answer to extended battery life with the KP is to use the grip. I don't own a KP, but I do have a Sony A7 MkII mirrorless which I suspect is even worse than the KP in terms of battery life (it certainly can't be much different), and I almost always have the battery grip fitted to it.
03-19-2018, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Two wasabis and a charger for the battery grip were about 33.00 USD so, easy fix if you don't mind the weight of the grip, and especially if you have large hands with the KP.
03-19-2018, 04:30 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Two wasabis and a charger for the battery grip were about 33.00 USD so, easy fix if you don't mind the weight of the grip, and especially if you have large hands with the KP.
The Wasabi`s seem to work OK in normal temperatures. At night in winter the original D-LI90`s are it.

03-19-2018, 04:42 PM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

The Wasabi`s seem to work OK in normal temperatures. At night in winter the original D-LI90`s are it.
I just wanted to have the extra juice over the standard battery. I never had an issue in -15C doing astro with my K-50 and the smaller battery or ever actually needing to change batteries with my K-50 even shooting over 600 images in a day. I am adjusting to how the handling changes with the grip though. Since I am only to 300 images and only a dozen or so with the grip, I have a lot of adjusting to do yet.
03-19-2018, 04:52 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I just wanted to have the extra juice over the standard battery. I never had an issue in -15C doing astro with my K-50 and the smaller battery or ever actually needing to change batteries with my K-50 even shooting over 600 images in a day. I am adjusting to how the handling changes with the grip though. Since I am only to 300 images and only a dozen or so with the grip, I have a lot of adjusting to do yet.
I am coming from the K5 battery life (spoiled) camp... The KP is petite and does come with a cost. It`s good for what I got it for, travel.
05-28-2018, 01:01 AM - 1 Like   #25
Forum Member

Use Function dial

If you use C1, C2 or C3 no the function dial for lcd display, you can then use the Setting dial to chose no lcd display.
If you do that, then the lcd display will be turned off after shutting down and on.

Mvh
Kjell Vikestad
05-28-2018, 08:28 AM - 2 Likes   #26
Veteran Member

It is nice that the grip has the adapter for either size of battery so you can use whatever is close at hand. With heavier lenses it seems to balance better with the grip on. YMMV.
07-14-2018, 09:29 AM   #27
Forum Member

Memory, page 2, "shooting info display"
GOD BLESS YOU Finn..... "unremowable" status screen was driving me crazy, and I had no idea where to change it. Manual didn't help at all. So good that you did found it.