Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2017, 05:47 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AV Bracketed Shooting Mode

So i'm going through my User Modes on the KP, I'm wiping them out one by one as I customise the KP for my own purposes. User 2 is by default set up to be a 'MACRO' mode, looking through this I discovered a new shooting mode that doesn't seem to be on the K-1, it's called 'Depth of Field Bracketing' and uses a Av bracketed Icon.

I do recall using my own K-1 on some landscape bracketing and recall the actual shots varying in aperture, which at the time I did not want at all! This was in Manual mode on the K-1 I believe, I think I changed the Program Line or something and that forced the bracketed shots to now be taken with different shutter speeds but same ISO and Aperture, I did find it odd that 'out of the box' it wasn't set up like that however. Usually 'bracketed' to me means tripod and landscaping really...

But yeh the K-1 can still take bracketed shots with varying degrees of aperture/DoF settings, but it seems as tho the KP has a better way of managing this by giving a nice dedicated shooting mode, complete with allowing the user to vary the steps of DoF with the rear dial wheel. I shall definitely suggest this to be implemented on the next K-1 firmware update as I can't see why the K-1 couldn't do this also, it's just a rather neat shortcut in a way.

I have to admit, I've never thought to shooting purposefully like this, but seeing it in the MACRO mode now makes a little more sense. In the past when I have hand held my shots I have had to compromise on DoF to get the shot, this way I might be able to post process the shot with a greater DoF impression.

I'm also wondering how else it might be used 'artistically'. Could you for example take a shot of a macro chess board game, use a very wide DoF to capture one piece on the board, and then the subsequent shots focus on other pieces behind? How would that look? Might have to try.

Anyway... anyone else using this Av Bracketing mode to good effect?

Cheers,

Bruce

12-09-2017, 02:51 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Relevant info relating to our stripped down version of it on the KP; Utilising the OM-D E-M1 Ver. 4.0's Focus Stacking and Focus Bracketing Modes in Insect Photography, with Professional Photographer Kazuo Unno
12-09-2017, 08:37 AM - 1 Like   #3
f22

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Absolutely using this. I set my U4 for this and the U5 for Motion bracketing (3 consecutive exposures at different speeds). For the Aperture Bracketing I chose 0.7 EV and did some experiment shots. I think that works well for outdoor shots. I would probably recommend 0.3 for flash or lower lit scenes.

This is a very handy feature especially for portraiture, and landscape. If you set your scene exposure to the Av you want and then take the other 2 at smaller f stops (smaller DoF) I can later choose in PP which shot gives me the best result. It also is nice for macro work with a tele lens (or my 18-135 set to 135mm).

The Motion Bracketing is handy for action photography. I set these to be in order of speed -fastest, faster, fast so that I don't wind up with my subject exiting the focus. I also suggest using AF.C if your subject is moving toward or away from you, with this. I usually get at least 2 of the 3 compositions centered with the subject. It's good for controlling how much blur you want, or if you're panning, how much your background blurs.
12-09-2017, 12:34 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by f22 Quote
Absolutely using this. I set my U4 for this and the U5 for Motion bracketing (3 consecutive exposures at different speeds). For the Aperture Bracketing I chose 0.7 EV and did some experiment shots. I think that works well for outdoor shots. I would probably recommend 0.3 for flash or lower lit scenes.

This is a very handy feature especially for portraiture, and landscape. If you set your scene exposure to the Av you want and then take the other 2 at smaller f stops (smaller DoF) I can later choose in PP which shot gives me the best result. It also is nice for macro work with a tele lens (or my 18-135 set to 135mm).

The Motion Bracketing is handy for action photography. I set these to be in order of speed -fastest, faster, fast so that I don't wind up with my subject exiting the focus. I also suggest using AF.C if your subject is moving toward or away from you, with this. I usually get at least 2 of the 3 compositions centered with the subject. It's good for controlling how much blur you want, or if you're panning, how much your background blurs.
Interesting, good to see someone using this in a way I have not thought about. It's set up as default to being intended for 'Macro' work, I never really considered how useful it might be for Portrait shots etc. I regularly try to shoot some ridiculously wide shots (f1.4-1.6 etc), and sometimes I get lucky and the eye I want is sharp, other times I miss it. How useful it might be to get a 'safer' guaranteed shot from the moment if I fail to hit my mark with the wide shot.

I shall also consider the Motion Bracketing for action shots also.

Thanks for the feedback!

12-11-2017, 04:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I have not used these bracketing features yet, but this has been an interesting post. There is a lot to explore with this advanced, yet compact camera!