Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-23-2017, 08:35 AM   #1

KP issues in Live View

I do not know how many of you have this happened to, but my KP seems to hang up or freeze when using Live View and landscape shooting.

Initially, everything works as expected, and all of the sudden, let`s say, after processing an image, you want to review the picture, and no button respond, or you get to have the camera in live view, but the cursor does not move.

IŽd have to reset the camera many times for it to come back to normal. One time, I hade to entirely remove the battery.

In a couple of weeks I am going hiking, and need to pack light, hence my Pentax KP and some wonderful Limited lenses, however, this situation is making me doubt whether or not leave the KP and take the K3 with me.

Anyone else with a similar story_

12-23-2017, 05:24 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have a KP yet. I have not heard of this issue with it . Does it not do it with live view turned off and using the VF? Is there a reason you do not use the VF for landscape shots? I personally very seldom use LV. I know my cameras eat the batteries fairly quick when I do use LV.
I am wondering if it might be a battery issue. Losing some power after heavy use. I would try a different battery first,
12-23-2017, 06:55 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting. Sounds like a lot of corrections are taking place.
I try to avoid any "in camera processing" because of the lack of processing power.
12-24-2017, 04:30 AM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
I don't have a KP yet. I have not heard of this issue with it . Does it not do it with live view turned off and using the VF? Is there a reason you do not use the VF for landscape shots? I personally very seldom use LV. I know my cameras eat the batteries fairly quick when I do use LV.
I am wondering if it might be a battery issue. Losing some power after heavy use. I would try a different battery first,
Interesting. It could be a battery issue. Usually, I use LV for low angle shots with the help of the tilt screen, or just to get an idea of the end result before hand. Given your answer, I wonder if I was using one of the generic batteries I bought recently to complement the Pentax one that came with the camera. I'll check. Thx.

12-24-2017, 06:26 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eruizmiro Quote
Interesting. It could be a battery issue. Usually, I use LV for low angle shots with the help of the tilt screen, or just to get an idea of the end result before hand. Given your answer, I wonder if I was using one of the generic batteries I bought recently to complement the Pentax one that came with the camera. I'll check. Thx.
Let us know how it turns out.
I do like the articulated screen on the K-S2 for really low or really high hand held shots and use LV for those the rest of the time I prefer/ use the VF.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Interesting. Sounds like a lot of corrections are taking place.
I try to avoid any "in camera processing" because of the lack of processing power.
I do very little in camera processing as well. It cuts down on my battery charge as does LV. The main reason tho is I don't like using the small camera screen for such things. I prefer my monitor it is a lot larger ( Obviously ) so I can see thins a lot better plus my processing software is better. Only thing I do in camera is to occasionally change to a B/W filter.
12-24-2017, 06:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eruizmiro Quote
I do not know how many of you have this happened to, but my KP seems to hang up or freeze when using Live View and landscape shooting.

Initially, everything works as expected, and all of the sudden, let`s say, after processing an image, you want to review the picture, and no button respond, or you get to have the camera in live view, but the cursor does not move.

IŽd have to reset the camera many times for it to come back to normal. One time, I hade to entirely remove the battery.

In a couple of weeks I am going hiking, and need to pack light, hence my Pentax KP and some wonderful Limited lenses, however, this situation is making me doubt whether or not leave the KP and take the K3 with me.

Anyone else with a similar story_
What memory card are you using?
12-25-2017, 08:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Live view is the only way to nail focus where it is wanted as there is no EVF available. If making sharp images is important, that is.

I managed to crash K-1 few times when removing lens while live view was enabled. Not in purpose but accidentally. Maybe there are some loose contacts at play here?

Another thing that comes to mind is remote control which has stuck shutter release in half way position. This will freeze the camera UI every time.