Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
02-01-2018, 01:04 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I do not have lot of options. KP will be going for sale that is for sure. My main system will change from Intrepid 4x5 to Intrepid 8x10 now that it is available. I got KP mainly for winter period and night exposures. I may purchase K-1 again to complement 8x10" setup or, perhaps not as probable, sell everything and get the 645Z but I will not be amused if it fails in similar conditions next year.

02-01-2018, 01:50 PM   #17
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
I got KP mainly for winter period and night exposures. I may purchase K-1 again to complement 8x10" setup or, perhaps not as probable, sell everything and get the 645Z but I will not be amused if it fails in similar conditions next year.
You have two critical tasks prior to buying another K-1 or 645Z, IMHO... to consider the manufacturer-specified operating conditions versus the conditions you expect to shoot in, and suitable precautions you can take to keep the camera within the specified conditions (such as heated covers etc.). Even though your last K-1 may have continued to work on previous shoots, don't expect a second K-1 to do so if the shooting conditions breach the manufacturer's stated specifications. Who knows, it may work fine - but you'd be depending on nothing but good fortune. The same will hold true for the 645Z or any other alternative, Pentax or otherwise.

My recommendation would be to expect and plan for the worst. I do this with regard to WR... I keep my camera dry and protected as much as possible, and only allow it to get briefly wet from light rain or sea spray, after which I immediately wipe it down and protect it once more. That may be overkill, but I've never had to post a "WR fail" message here on the forums - and I'm happy about that.
02-01-2018, 02:19 PM - 3 Likes   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Main release worked okay when camera had warmed up overnight to room temp this morning. Today, we shot for 7 hours in -20 to -28C (with windchill over -40C) and in the end...

We stopped as everything was covered in hoarfrost. I also broke a Sirui ballhead and pair of snowshoes which was quite weird as both failed under 24 hours due to binding pivots snapping in half under load. That pair of Faber snowshoes lasted only for 3 years.
02-01-2018, 02:30 PM - 1 Like   #19
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Main release worked okay when camera had warmed up overnight to room temp this morning. Today, we shot for 7 hours in -20 to -28C (with windchill over -40C) and in the end...
Seven hours' operation way outside of manufacturer's specification is impressive... and not just good, but amazingly good fortune.

I also broke a Sirui ballhead and pair of snowshoes which was quite weird as both failed under 24 hours due to binding pivots snapping in half under load. That pair of Faber snowshoes lasted only for 3 years.
Which rather puts into perspective the temporary failure of a camera designed to operate at a minimum of -10C

Sure does look cold there!

Last edited by BigMackCam; 02-01-2018 at 02:40 PM.
02-01-2018, 02:43 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Limited 35mm macro looks cute full of snow. I made some wrong turns in accident and camera ended up face towards a huge hoarfrost covered tree. I will present a huge amount of pictures after returning home from this trip.

02-01-2018, 03:56 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I may purchase K-1 again to complement 8x10" setup or, perhaps not as probable, sell everything and get the 645Z but I will not be amused if it fails in similar conditions next year.
Even the 645Z may fail if you take it too low. It has the same operating temperature range as the KP. I suggest the very faithful Sony you used in the past.

Steve
02-01-2018, 04:09 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I also broke a Sirui ballhead and pair of snowshoes which was quite weird as both failed under 24 hours due to binding pivots snapping in half under load. That pair of Faber snowshoes lasted only for 3 years.
That reminds me of doing outdoor electrical stuff in Montana many years ago. It was -15F and the electrical tape would break as it was taken off the roll. We put it in our pockets to keep it warm, but the glue failed as the tape cooled. Eventually we had to move to special low-temp tape with a backing. That worked.

Are the Sirui ballheads metal or resin?

Steve

02-01-2018, 04:25 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

.......perhaps not as probable, sell everything and get the 645Z but I will not be amused if it fails in similar conditions next year.
645Z is "only" rated to -10degC.
02-01-2018, 09:21 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Limited 35mm macro looks cute full of snow. I made some wrong turns in accident and camera ended up face towards a huge hoarfrost covered tree. I will present a huge amount of pictures after returning home from this trip.
So you are way up there, sweet!
You are really pushing your gear... Looking forward to your images.
02-02-2018, 11:52 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Evidently the larger heavier-duty batteries were more durable, and possibly better-insulated in the grip. if using this setup, adding the battery grip with the more durable battery, is the only penalty you must pay to face such extreme conditions, I think it speaks well of the KP's versatility- either being an unusually compact but capable DSLR, or able to convert to an even more capable and heavy-duty rig. Your photos of those conditions are pretty dramatic! I too would like to see some of your results!
02-02-2018, 12:18 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I just want to clear up a point here. Was the battery grip with battery attached to your camera the whole time, or did you attach it to the camera after the built in shutter button stopped working?

People have mentioned it might be a battery related issue, but if you had the grip on the whole time then cold batteries can be ruled out. It would also be mean that both shutter buttons saw the same temperatures, so it would indicate that maybe the grip's button is a little bit more cold proof.

Either way, from what I've seen it looks like you've probably snapped some real cool pictures. (pun intended!)
02-02-2018, 04:24 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Grip has been attached since I got it and for this trip I used D-LI90 batteries in there. Original D-LI90 is large enough to survive most of the day and I only compose using live view which is quite power hungry feature both in KP and K-1. Between exposures camera always stays off.