Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
02-07-2018, 09:13 PM   #1

KP size compared to Olympus?

Hi guys and gals.
I was curious if anybody here had both the KP and Olympus em1 or em10 with grip? I was curious if there was a significant difference in size between them? The KP is very tempting with the 70mm limited attached to it!
Any info is appreciated.

02-07-2018, 09:25 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is the physical size comparison - KP and the OM-D-E-M10
02-07-2018, 11:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I have the Kp and the em-5 (mk 1) - the Kp is pretty big by comparison, they make a nice complimentary pair.
02-07-2018, 11:42 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The real tell will be weight and thickness. Also based on crop factor the oly should be fitted with a 45-50mm lens roughly f1.6 for comparison sake.

Use that sure but add the lenses using that special view and it will be more clear. The k-3 I have is significantly larger than the Panasonic gx-1 I have particularly comparing similar crop lenses. 16-50 vs 12-35 f2.8 for example.

02-08-2018, 02:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The gx1 I have is much smaller feeling than my em5, but yeah the Kp is much thicker and heavier then my em5 - the build quality is similar, they're both quite solid for their size, but the em5 feels much smaller then my Kpp, and the lenses tend to be much smaller also - They're kinda built for different things, or I wouldn't have both.
02-08-2018, 08:31 AM   #6
amp

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick answers.
I've read different opinions about the size. Portability is a huge thing for me. Weight is not that big of an issue. I'd love to be able to hold one, especially with a limited prime attached.
02-08-2018, 11:32 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by amp Quote
Hi guys and gals.
I was curious if anybody here had both the KP and Olympus em1 or em10 with grip? I was curious if there was a significant difference in size between them? The KP is very tempting with the 70mm limited attached to it!
Any info is appreciated.
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Here is the physical size comparison - KP and the OM-D-E-M10
EM-1 and EM-10 are quite different in size. Compare camera dimensions side by side

Thanks for the quick answers.
I've read different opinions about the size. Portability is a huge thing for me. Weight is not that big of an issue. I'd love to be able to hold one, especially with a limited prime attached.
Grip is hugely important to me. I wanted a small camera to go along with my K-3. I went to the shop intending to pick up an RX100, but it was uncomfortably tiny. I tried an OMD EM-10 next and quickly rejected it because it had no grip. Without a grip, you need to pinch the camera in your fingers constantly, or it will slip out of your hand. Even with a small camera this gets very tiring. There's no excuse for this IMO, even my small Canon A720 p&s and my Q7 had decent grips. I ended up buying an a6000.

02-11-2018, 07:42 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Olympus uses a smaller sensor, so the comparison is really not fair. We don't seriously compare the K-1 with the KP for size without taking the format into account. A better comparison is with mirrorless designs having APS-C sensors. And then what about a built-in flash, control features, the OVF and its quality, etc? And yes, there is such a thing as an overly small design degrading handling and ergonomics. An optional battery grip can address some of these issues, if available.
02-12-2018, 12:48 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Olympus uses a smaller sensor, so the comparison is really not fair. We don't seriously compare the K-1 with the KP for size without taking the format into account. A better comparison is with mirrorless designs having APS-C sensors. And then what about a built-in flash, control features, the OVF and its quality, etc? And yes, there is such a thing as an overly small design degrading handling and ergonomics. An optional battery grip can address some of these issues, if available.

It can be fair to compare the two especially if you compare the kp to the em1. There is only a .5 crop factor difference between the two, even smaller if you compare m43 to a canon apsc body (.4 in that case). I havent used the kp, but from what i hear it punches above its weight class, so does the em1. Low light would go towards the kp, af speed the em1 wins. Both have great image quality in good light, the m43 on average will have smaller lenses (not always the case, but to the most part).

To the op on camera size, there is a main difference between the em10 and the em1. Id place the em1 in overall size similar to the k3 just not as thick (not all m43 cameras are small). The em10 on the other hands is going to be very small and compact for an ilc and more then likely much smaller then the kp (think coat pocket size). The kp will have the better features in comparison to the em10, especially with weather sealing where the em10 has none. The em1 on the other hand has more to it, decent weather sealing, af speeds faster, but from what i hear a more complicated menu system then the kp.

02-12-2018, 01:31 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I have a K5 IIs and an Oly OMD em-5 Mk II (or whatever this ridic name is). The K5 is perfect for me. I have average sized hands, I would say. The Oly without any grip attached, is almost to small for me. Its somehow not comfortable. With additional grip (but without battery grip part), its ok. With complete additional grip, including battery part, its ok too but almost the same size as the K5 IIs.

This mft thing has its size advantage (for me) only with small lenses and w/o additional grip. If I add a larger (premium) lens, I need a grip for convenience and size & weight advantage vanishes.
02-12-2018, 05:06 AM   #11
amp

Original Poster
Once again, thanks for the responses. Just to be clear, I have an Olympus em10ii with the OEM grip as well as the em1i model with the bottom grip plate. I was curious how the physical size of these cameras compares to the KP. I've read the spec sheets, but I wanted to get a first hand report from someone who might have the cameras.
Thanks.
02-12-2018, 12:05 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
It can be fair to compare the two especially if you compare the kp to the em1. There is only a .5 crop factor difference between the two, even smaller if you compare m43 to a canon apsc body (.4 in that case). I havent used the kp, but from what i hear it punches above its weight class, so does the em1. Low light would go towards the kp, af speed the em1 wins. Both have great image quality in good light, the m43 on average will have smaller lenses (not always the case, but to the most part).
I agree that you can compare these (and any other cross sensor comparison you want to make). People need to understand what cost that sensor size change may have on their photos, and decide if this works in the context of their needs.

While the APSC crop factor is 1.5x and the m43 crop factor is 2.x I don't think simple subtracting one from the other is the best way to visualize the comparative size and benefits. Another way to think of this is that the delta from m43 to APSC is smaller than the delta from APSC to Full Frame. (1.33x crop for m43 compared to APSC Pentax). This is based on purely size and not based on performance. Performance numbers from DXOmark can give additional insight into the comparables...

EDIT: Since the KP and K-70 ratings are not available on DXO the K-3II is the closest I could come and it falls short of the KP in most ways in terms of sensor ratings. The delta to the Olympus sensor is not quite 2/3'rds of a bit extra on color depth, 1 EV better on dynamic range and about 1/2 stop better on sports ISO. It is likely more than this on the KP. Is that significant? Depends on the work...

Last edited by UncleVanya; 02-12-2018 at 12:11 PM.
02-12-2018, 02:04 PM   #13
Pentaxian

... Portability is a huge thing for me ... I have an Olympus em10ii with the OEM grip as well as the em1i model with the bottom grip plate ...
Why are you considering a Kp? What do you want to improve on your Olympus cameras? If you need better low light performance or more dynamic range then the Kp is a good choice.
02-12-2018, 02:06 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And what regarding DOF control?
02-12-2018, 02:10 PM   #15
amp

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Why are you considering a Kp? What do you want to improve on your Olympus cameras? If you need better low light performance or more dynamic range then the Kp is a good choice.
Dynamic range and better high iso performance! Those are some reasons I ask about the KP.