Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
02-13-2018, 05:59 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm kind of, "hooked" by KP size, but I want it even smaller and lighter !
--

The K3 I've got is heavy camera, and I don't feel it right... It's good for some pro work, studio, etc, but if you simply want to enjoy street shooting, and I do, I would love smaller, lighter cameras.

DSLR look, was always been bulky to me, and I never use to it.

---
I don't even like OLY OMD EM1-II look, because of the grip.
--
I invested in some good pentax lens, and to be honest - I found the system not fun, and enjoyable like m43

---

further,

If you buy camera for your Pro Work, KP doesn't have 2 sd card slots, which is must have option in todays PRO photo work. You will never get a second chance to shoot something, and 2 card slots, can save you from SD CARD nightmare...
( it's not often scenario, but yet, who knows ! )

Lack of IR remote control, is something also serious to consider... Let's say it's not crucial thing since you have other methods to manage shooting

in all my cameras to date, flash was must have - KP delivers it, that's a good thing.

---

I'm waiting right now, because I want to see, what will camera industry pushed out from their factorys in 2018... Specially waiting for Oly Omd-5 mark III, and Pentax K-3 III

Last edited by panonski; 02-13-2018 at 07:03 AM.
02-13-2018, 06:35 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
Lack of IR remote control, is something also serious to consider.
Are you saying the KP does not allow IR remote shutter release? That would be difficult to believe because even my old K100D Super had that capability.

I have a Sony a6000 for its small size, but it cannot replace my K-3, it is a supplement only.
02-13-2018, 06:48 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Are you saying the KP does not allow IR remote shutter release? That would be difficult to believe because even my old K100D Super had that capability.
Pentax KP Review - Specifications | PentaxForums.com Reviews

See general section. No IR. WiFi based control is available.
02-13-2018, 08:06 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I agree that you can compare these (and any other cross sensor comparison you want to make). People need to understand what cost that sensor size change may have on their photos, and decide if this works in the context of their needs.

While the APSC crop factor is 1.5x and the m43 crop factor is 2.x I don't think simple subtracting one from the other is the best way to visualize the comparative size and benefits. Another way to think of this is that the delta from m43 to APSC is smaller than the delta from APSC to Full Frame. (1.33x crop for m43 compared to APSC Pentax). This is based on purely size and not based on performance. Performance numbers from DXOmark can give additional insight into the comparables...

EDIT: Since the KP and K-70 ratings are not available on DXO the K-3II is the closest I could come and it falls short of the KP in most ways in terms of sensor ratings. The delta to the Olympus sensor is not quite 2/3'rds of a bit extra on color depth, 1 EV better on dynamic range and about 1/2 stop better on sports ISO. It is likely more than this on the KP. Is that significant? Depends on the work...
I would use the D7200 as your comparison as it is a more modern sensor than is in the K3. The interesting thing is that the big benefit with D7200 versus the Olympus EM1 II is in isos below 3200. At base iso the D7200 has an extra 2 EVs of dynamic range, but sports iso is basically the same between it and the EM1 II. SNR is the same through the range for both sensors.

I still would prefer the APS-C sensor as low iso performance is more important to me than high iso performance, but regardless, micro four thirds has come a long way (I do think the K-P with its accelerator chip could do better perhaps in high iso, but I don't have any numbers to back that up).

02-13-2018, 08:04 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Are you saying the KP does not allow IR remote shutter release?
Nope, no IR. It does have WiFi remote with live view and focus point selection, it actually works pretty well. The remote-release jack now pulls double duty as an external microphone input.
It is no longer the Pentax/Canooon standard 2.5mm, got changed to 3.5mm to accommodate external microphones.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 02-13-2018 at 08:15 PM.
02-14-2018, 07:28 AM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Nope, no IR. It does have WiFi remote with live view and focus point selection, it actually works pretty well. The remote-release jack now pulls double duty as an external microphone input.
It is no longer the Pentax/Canooon standard 2.5mm, got changed to 3.5mm to accommodate external microphones.
I hope the trend does not continue. I'd much rather pull out a remote than play around with an app and phone.
02-15-2018, 10:49 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by amp Quote
Dynamic range and better high iso performance! Those are some reasons I ask about the KP.
Anecdotally from my own tests KP is pretty close to K-5iis for DR and the K-5iis is a DR monster, even today.
So that means at least 1.5 stops of DR over EM5II or EM10II.

High ISO of KP is better than K-5iis and pretty much anything else short of full-frame.

The KP does feel smaller in the hand than the K-5 K-3 lines. When I switch back from KP to the K-5iis it feels huge.
But it is going to feel bigger and heavier than EM5II/EM10II, not even close.

Personally I think the KP + the Limiteds is a really sweet package. If I had to offload all my other bodies and lenses and go down to a one body and three lens kit it would be KP + 15, 20-40, 70.

Last edited by caliscouser; 02-15-2018 at 11:00 AM.
02-15-2018, 07:08 PM   #23
amp

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
Anecdotally from my own tests KP is pretty close to K-5iis for DR and the K-5iis is a DR monster, even today.

High ISO of KP is better than K-5iis and pretty much anything else short of full-frame.

The KP does feel smaller in the hand than the K-5 K-3 lines. When I switch back from KP to the K-5iis it feels huge.
But it is going to feel bigger and heavier than EM5II/EM10II, not even close.

Personally I think the KP + the Limiteds is a really sweet package. If I had to offload all my other bodies and lenses and go down to a one body and three lens kit it would be KP + 15, 20-40, 70.
Thanks for the post. I was hoping for some words regarding the feel of the KP as compared to the K3 as well as the Olympus' .
Thanks so much.
02-16-2018, 08:45 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
I agree about the KP being pretty close in DR to the K-5iis. I would, however, rate both the K-5iis and the KP has 2 stops better in DR than the EM-5ii, and the KP as being at least a stop and half better in ISO.
03-02-2018, 10:04 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

lI just went through the same dilemma . The Oly EM 5 was quite tempting. Its small size , and the fact I had 4 lenses didn't win out in the end.
I bought the KP and sold the Olympus and lenses.
It was a very hard decision. But the fact of the smaller sensor , slightly less DR , learning another system , and that I'm a Pentax guy , helped me make the choice.
03-04-2018, 06:22 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Olympus have a quite good cameras, and I'm just sit and wait their next move after M1-II...
I think they have beatifull camera line till now, very capable in anything, and so sweet to work with
03-19-2018, 02:20 PM   #27
Forum Member

I´ve the Pentax KP an the Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II and last year at my holidays i´ve used the Olympus OM-D at greece (Crete) wiht a couple of lenses - unfortunately the Olympus OM-D is not really the best equipment for photography at dusk or at caves or gorges.
This year i´ll take the Pentax KP for Crete with a couple of the small Limiteds with me. Maybe some more weight, but the really better choice.
But i love my Olympus Equipment too, it´s really lightweight.

EDIT: The package whith a couple of Limiteds, i need not really much more space in the bag.

Last edited by DirkWitten; 03-19-2018 at 02:40 PM.
03-20-2018, 12:41 PM   #28
Pentaxian

@amp

My wife has the EM1 and is trying out the KP with DA 70 all this week: she's been shooting it today.

Size wise, the two bodies are about same width, but KP is a bit taller and deeper. It is smaller than the K5 and a lot smaller than the K1!

She has a large range of Olympus glass; the small primes are smaller than equivalent Pentax ltds and are nice and sharp. The Olympus Pro zooms are larger and heavier, but still compact compared to equivalent Pentax glass.

In good light or with flash the Olympus is very good. However, when the light fades, the KP shines. The KP seems to just have the edge against my K1 in a dimly lit room - its focussing a little quicker and silly high ISOs are a bit cleaner. It is substantially better than the M1.

The DA 70 ltd is a very sweet lens - it complements the KP well. We've both handled it with the 20-40 too; that is a nice combination - plus WR and quiet.

Battery wise, I think both cameras could take about the same number of pictures on a charge, but the KP wins on walking around with power on - ready to shoot; that really kills the M1. Autofocus is great on the M1, providing you don't want too fine control on what is the target. Optical (PDAF) focussing is pretty good on the KP using AF-S centre point focus and recompose means you can be very selective about what is sharp.

My wife is looking for a second camera for a wedding later this year - the obvious (cheap) choice is a 2nd user M5 or M1, but she's exploring the KP purely for the low-light capability (plus she can raid my lenses...)

I don't know how the M1ii compares - but it costs almost the same as a K1!!!!

PM me if you have any specific questions.

Chris
03-20-2018, 01:16 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Personally, I think the KP is a bit small to handle comfortably. Even with the medium grip my fingers are cramped around the controls and under the lens uncomfortably. Same with K-3, though just my right pinky finger slides off the grip. .

I can’t imagine using anything smaller. I’ve never understood the small size fetish

AFA comparing APSc vs. m43 sensor cameras, an APSc sensor is nearly 65% larger by area than an m43 sensor*, so one really shouldn’t compare the two platforms on body size.

* 368 sq. mm vs. 225 sq. mm | 23.6mm x 15.6mm vs. 17.3mm x 13mm

Last edited by monochrome; 03-20-2018 at 01:22 PM.
03-20-2018, 01:38 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Personally, I think the KP is a bit small to handle comfortably. Even with the medium grip my fingers are cramped around the controls and under the lens uncomfortably. Same with K-3, though just my right pinky finger slides off the grip. .

I can’t imagine using anything smaller. I’ve never understood the small size fetish

AFA comparing APSc vs. m43 sensor cameras, an APSc sensor is nearly 65% larger by area than an m43 sensor*, so one really shouldn’t compare the two platforms on body size.

* 368 sq. mm vs. 225 sq. mm | 23.6mm x 15.6mm vs. 17.3mm x 13mm
With the large grip it is pretty easy to hold with a heavier lens on and with the battery grip added, it is a beefy chunk of Gear! But it still handles nicely. (To me at least,
) I have not played in portrait mode yet and I do not have an L bracket that fits her yet. Now I can sell my extra large grip so if you are looking, PM me.