Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2018, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bui Quote
If there is a way to make hundreds of photo after an outing look better than in-camera-jpg in a batch job, please let me know.
LR has a quick develop feature as part of the library module that can be used for batch processing. It is a handy feature.

The above being noted, I will volunteer my own experience. When I first started doing digital photos with a Canon G2, my process was to shoot RAW and batch convert using Canon's default settings to 16-bit TIFF. I figured the TIFF would be best for a future-proof archive. I then discarded all of the RAW files. It was not until I started using Lightroom (v1.x) that I realized that I had effectively thrown away my negatives and kept the equivalent of excellent excellent prints. Since then, I have been able to post-process many of those TIFF images and while glad I did not archive as JPEG, I do regret not keeping the the RAW.

That history in mind, this is what I do for my K-3 output:
  • Except for obvious junk shots, I don't cull images in-camera
  • I capture as RAW and import a single session at a time with the files copied to a physical directory referenced by the catalog. To speed things up, I usually copy the directory from the camera to the computer desktop before doing the import.*
  • I apply the initial set of keywords as part of the import. This help ensure it is done and is much easier that doing it later. Keywords are important.
  • After import, I make an initial pass to cull unusable images. These I mark with a black flag and delete as a batch, both from the catalog and the filesystem.
  • I then do another pass to evaluate images that have potential. These I mark with a white flag for future processing.
  • I often do a third pass to add additional keywords to related images. This may be done on a range of images to save time.
  • I only edit flagged images. There is no sense wasting hours of time creating the equivalent of a deck of snapshot prints.
  • I avoid applying edits against the capture image. I strongly prefer and suggest editing virtual copies. Virtual copies are virtually "free" from a storage perspective and there are multiple advantages to this approach that become very evident when one starts doing multiple interpretations (e.g. monochrome, "for print", "for cards", etc.).
  • I often also group related virtual copies into a "Quick Collection" for convenience before doing a editing session.
  • I strongly suggest becoming familiar with the "Soft Proof" feature of the develop module. It allows for a preview of how export/printing to a different colorspace (e.g. sRGB) or ICC profile will affect the final appearance.
  • Collections are our friends and very valuable from a curation perspective
The above is probably a little overwhelming and I will confess that it is the result of over a decade of experience with the Lightroom product with the assistance of an excellent book. I have benefited immensely from Martin Evening's Lightroom book. There is one for every major version of Lightroom with every feature of the product presented from a practical perspective. He is also good enough to suggest that some features are best not used. The book is not cheap, but much worth it.
Adobe Press Book: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC / 6
At this point, it is also probably good to put in another good word in regards to keywords. When done properly, they can make it much easier to find a particular image or even a set of virtual copies. They are also retained in the EXIF metadata on export and are available for use by Flickr and other sharing sites both for display and search purposes.

Good luck and have fun!

Steve

* I also do a preparatory step after copying the folder to my desktop, that being to do some minor edits to the EXIF metadata to provide lens identification for lenses whose ids are not recognized by Lightroom as well as my vintage lenses that don't provide ids.

02-10-2018, 04:48 AM   #32
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I will volunteer my own experience.
Thank you. This is pretty much how I would do it - in an ideal world In practice my workflow is a tad too inconsistent, though, and the catching-up that has to be done is steadily growing. The lesson to be learnt: Follow Steve's advice right from the start - it will save you a lot of grief later on.

Of all the great advice listed above I'd like to re-iterate the importance of tagging and also the use of "quick collections".
02-10-2018, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Picasa and/or Google Photos still suits my needs for touching-up JPEGs.
I've tried shooting raw, using LR, and PS Pro X7 and found that I would not jump through all those hoops even if I understood half of what I was trying to do with them.
I enjoy the taking photos part, not the making photos part, although I do see how wonderful the right PP touches can greatly enhance a photograph.
02-11-2018, 07:22 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Well, there is an option with every shot to save as RAW in addition to the JPEG file. I have found with my KP, that I rarely ever feel a need to revert to the "Natural" category, because it does not seem to exhibit the magenta color cast previously common in Pentax DSLRs, some more than others, and in the "Bright" category, although saturation is bumped up some, it is not really so exaggerated as in previous models. So for the most part, I leave it on "Bright" and always have F added to sharpening for Fine Sharpening. As I understand it, the in-camera settings can be saved when processing RAW with the supplied Silky-Pix software.

I have done touch-up work of JPEG images successfully many times. The degree of latitude is less, but normally my shots are not in much extreme need anyway.

The KP's JPEG engine seems uncommonly good, which is great as a time-saver for many uses. Even with JPEG images, I've noticed improved DR, color balance, lower noise at higher ISO, and all around better IQ.

Last edited by mikesbike; 02-11-2018 at 07:48 PM.
02-12-2018, 06:21 AM   #35
Bui
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Oh, thank you very much for the advance guide. I will have something to try learning. Can't wait to go out, take some photos, and try to workout a new workflow this weekend :-)

Highly appreciate your comments :-)