Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2018, 11:53 PM   #1

Feel/Hear Something Sliding Inside KP When Tilting it Side to Side with Hand on Grip

Hi all. New to the forum with my first ever Pentax, and second ever DSLR (after D3100)

Just received my KP today. While playing around with it, I noticed that there's something inside that moves/slides a little when I tilt the body from side to side. Is this normal? I hope I didn't get a poorly assembled body or something... By the way, if it's relevant or useful to know, I've attached the HD DA 21mm Limited lens to the body. It's the only lens I have as of now.

02-15-2018, 12:33 AM - 1 Like   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi CPL, welcome to the forums. What you are feeling and hearing is the SR ( shake reduction ) mechanism working. Perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. Enjoy your KP.
02-15-2018, 01:25 AM - 1 Like   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi CPL, welcome to the forums. What you are feeling and hearing is the SR ( shake reduction ) mechanism working. Perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. Enjoy your KP.
Thanks for the clarification pjv!
02-15-2018, 01:50 AM   #4
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by CPLTarun Quote
Thanks for the clarification pjv!
No problem.

02-15-2018, 03:39 AM   #5
Pentaxian

CPLTarun - for reassurance, see page 8 of the Pentax KP Operating Manual (English version).

Cheers.
Philip
02-15-2018, 11:22 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks MrB1. The rattling, as described in page 8, also occurs when the camera is turned off. That's also normal and part of the design, I assume? Might be a stupid/obvious question, but I just want to be safe haha.
02-15-2018, 05:30 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CPLTarun Quote
Thanks MrB1. The rattling, as described in page 8, also occurs when the camera is turned off. That's also normal and part of the design, I assume? Might be a stupid/obvious question, but I just want to be safe haha.
It's all good, now get out there and start shooting for crying out loud!

02-15-2018, 05:58 PM - 3 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Perfectly normal- whether the camera is on or off. I have other fine Pentax DSLR bodies, but I like the KP so much, I recently bought a second body! The DA 21mm limited is a wonderful lens, fine image quality, and a very versatile FL.

I recommend adjusting sharpening in the Custom Image menus. Put your camera in "P" Program mode (not "Auto"). Access via the "info" button to bring up the quick links screen for implementing adjustments of various factors. Now the 4 buttons surrounding "ok" will be for navigation. Custom Image should be the first section, and you should be already on it. Hit "ok' to open its categories. The first category will be "Auto" where the camera will select which of the other categories will be in use, according to what it senses as appropriate. I never use this category, and have not tried it. The second category is "Bright", which is the default palette for most shooting situations. Move to it, if not already on it. Hit "info" again to open its adjustments. Scroll down to Sharpening, which will be up +1 by default in this category. Now, using your rear thumb dial as shown, put an "F" by the "S" to implement Fine Sharpening. You are done so hit "ok" returning to all categories. Move next to "Natural", hit "Info" and go down to "S" then I recommend advancing it also up to +1, then put an "F" by the "S". Leave the other adjustments as-is. Hit "ok" then move back to set the camera back on "Bright" for general shooting. These adjustments are done, so just turn the camera off, which will also exit the adjustments screen. You are now set for maximum fine detail in your images. These settings were also recommended in some lab tests, but I've been using Fine Sharpening in other models as well for years.

The "Auto" setting on the mode dial is actually for people who know nothing about photography or a DSLR. Good when handing the camera to a friend just to shoot in a fully programmed operation, so if any control is mistakenly nudged, nothing will be altered to ruin the results. Otherwise, for normal full- program operation, use the "P" mode, which allows all adjustment options, including the uniquely useful, exclusive Pentax Hyper System. Unfortunately, these days, this unique feature is neglected or under-explained in camera manuals. When in P mode, if you see the camera has set a shutter speed or aperture where you'd rather have a different one set, simply go right ahead and select what you want, using your thumb or finger dial! Simple as that. You are now in Hyper Program operation. The first click freezes current value, subsequent clicks will change value. The camera is instantly switched to Av or Tv mode in the process, without your having to first set the mode dial and then make your selection. Very fast and efficient for making adjustments on the fly. A touch of the green button instantly returns full "P" operation.

In Manual mode, you can use the green button to instantly set meter-centered exposure instead of having to twirl the thumb and finger dials as usual. This is referred to as Pentax Hyper Manual operation. It is great for taking spot meter readings around a scene quickly. If a shutter speed or aperture is set differently than your wish, hit the AE-L button first to freeze the exposure value, select your choice of shutter speed or aperture, and the other will follow along, keeping the exposure correct. The AE-L button is programmable, but I keep mine functioning as AE-L because that is the way I like using it instead of a back AF button. The half-press shutter button for AF works fine for me. Same with the exposure comp button- I use it fairly often in its classic role. Unlike the larger, heavier, Pentax bodies, which have multiple dedicated controls, the dual-purpose button options of the KP allow its more compact design.

I hope this info is of help. Any more questions, don't hesitate to ask. No need to feel that your question may not be worthwhile. And welcome to Pentax and Pentax Forums!

Last edited by mikesbike; 02-16-2018 at 12:54 PM.
02-16-2018, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
It's all good, now get out there and start shooting for crying out loud!
Will do rob! Finally got a chance to step out and shoot today

And thanks for those insightful tips, mike. I'm going to try shooting with those settings

---------- Post added 02-16-18 at 02:57 PM ----------

And right now, I just have the HD DA 21mm Limited. I like the challenge of pushing myself to be creative in shooting different subjects and environments with just one prime. Let's see how that goes, I'm optimistic.
02-17-2018, 12:54 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Enjoy! You can comfortably just use highest-quality JPEGs (I believe this is set by default) for your shots without feeling you are losing any resolution, etc. at least while you become totally at home and familiarized with your new camera. The image quality is still excellent, as the JPEG processing engine of the KP is great! It would be hard to beat even by an experienced RAW post processor when converting RAW to JPEG- it is that good.