Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In case you haven't seen my KP compared to my old film SLRs post:
The KP's pedigree - PentaxForums.com

02-28-2018, 10:20 AM - 2 Likes   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HelenJo Quote
Athens is one of my favorite places in the entire world ! Plaka and Mount Lycabettus are wonderful places to visit in your lovely city. I wanted to retire there someday , but it simply wasnt meant to be.
I can still smell the Orange blossoms.
From the time I read your post I knew what kind of person you are and you have enjoyed a great life so far. This reply just confirms my initial feeling! Thank you for your beautiful words, it was a joy to read this reply and the entire thread and took me away from the quite often pointless equipment controversies I’m sure Athens is still waiting for you and also people with your mentality! Take care, it’s a pleasure to meet you!
03-01-2018, 08:34 PM   #33
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
In case you haven't seen my KP compared to my old film SLRs post:
The KP's pedigree - PentaxForums.com
Oh Yes I have ! Love it too !
03-03-2018, 07:48 PM - 3 Likes   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Love your story Helen Jo.... you're kinda a Pentax GodMother... ;-) Hope you have many years enjoying your new Pentax. There are sooo many wonderful and helpful members on the forum. There are also some fantastic women photographers. I'll mention my favorite so that you might take a look at her work. She really is amazing. Her name is Keitha McCall Tell Us About Your Photo, Keitha McCall - Columns | PentaxForums.com

As a fairly old guy I love to see young photographers grow and refine their talent. Keitha has a lot of talent! Enjoy the Pentax Forum and happy shooting!

Bob

03-05-2018, 08:32 AM - 3 Likes   #35
Forum Member

Original Poster
I would like to thank everyone for making my day a bit brighter , with all your very nice and warm replies.
03-05-2018, 09:42 AM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HelenJo Quote
I would like to thank everyone for making my day a bit brighter , with all your very nice and warm replies.
Turnabout is fair play.
03-05-2018, 09:57 AM - 3 Likes   #37
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
Love your story Helen Jo.... you're kinda a Pentax GodMother... ;-) Hope you have many years enjoying your new Pentax.
As a fairly old guy I love to see young photographers grow and refine their talent. Keitha has a lot of talent! Enjoy the Pentax Forum and happy shooting!

Bob
That is the most kind thing anyone here has said to me. Thank You Sincerely.
Ive helped more than a few aspiring photographers to succeed along the way also. At this age it is almost my duty to do so.

03-05-2018, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #38
Veteran Member

Wow, you have seen a lot of advancements! You are someone who can fully appreciate how far we have come in the amazing technology we now have available.

Like you, when I first began in photography, (I was already 38 and knew nothing about it) and bought my first SLR, a Vivitar with a screw lens mount, there was no auto-anything. Needle/bracket-centered metering, and of course setting your own shutter speed and aperture via the lens aperture ring, as well as manual-focusing. I had a 50mm lens and later a 135mm tele lens. I shot with that camera setup for 6 years, starting with shooting mostly slide film. An experienced friend was my coach.

My camera finally became dysfunctional, so rather than considering repairing it, I shopped camera stores for a new camera. I then discovered the affordable, very compact, beautiful Pentax ME Super. I was shocked at the fact it could set shutter speed automatically, according to the aperture selected! I couldn't get over it- how could such a thing be possible?

Now look where we are! Just about any camera out there is a marvel. But Pentax has the best quality in the price range. I also have the MZ-S as well as the PZ-1p, bought new way back. I've now had a number of Pentax DSLR bodies and lenses over the last dozen years. I currently shoot with 3 models- K-S2 (smallest, lightest- mainly for casual social use, which I bought over 2 years ago for only $508 in a B&H special with the smallest kit zoom lens ever!), my excellent K-5 IIs of over 3 years (bought new from B&H at an incredible price as a discontinued closeout), and now my incredibly compact but well-built, amazingly powerful KP.

i am pretty well-set for a good while. I too shoot a lot of JPEGs. My other 2 bodies deliver very fine JPEG quality, but the KP's JPEG engine is great!. My attitude is, if it turns out just as wanted, why fiddle with it, especially when they turn out so well as with the KP. In case you haven't already, be sure to implement Fine Sharpening in the Custom Image menus, both for the "Bright" and the "Natural" categories, for exceptional fine detail in your images. But put the camera back on the "Bright" category when you are done. It is the best setting for most uses.

Last edited by mikesbike; 03-05-2018 at 02:42 PM.
03-05-2018, 02:43 PM - 1 Like   #39
Veteran Member

great story! love that you found this place and are going to participate and hopefully share your knowledge and experience. I just got my KP today and only have about 100 images with it but it feels so right when shooting. Welcome!
03-09-2018, 02:24 PM - 2 Likes   #40
Veteran Member

My 65 year photography journey ends with the KP !

I had to take a deep breath after reading your story ...
This is a very touching story and I enjoyed every word of it.
Thank you for joining this forum and welcome here HelenJo.
04-28-2018, 09:50 AM - 1 Like   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Helen,

I do not have a KP (yet) so I came to this thread late. Your account of your life with Pentax and the people who influenced you was inspiring. Hope you continue to share stories of your photography adventures with us. It is clear that we all appreciate it, and need it!
04-28-2018, 10:30 AM - 2 Likes   #42
Pentaxian

I was thinking, I liked my K20D so much, I so much I'd keep it forever. 8 years later I sold it. I end up thinking every camera will be my last one.

My Program Plus was used for 15 years, and it's still functional, and I still have it. I see digital cameras as much more disposable items. I really like my K-3 and K-1 but I've had way to many "this will be my last camera ever " moments to believe myself when I say stuff like that anymore. My old SV also lasted me 15 years. How times change. More disposable income, more disposable products. 67-94 with three camera bodies. 2004 to 2018 with 8. Time is accelerating.
04-28-2018, 01:30 PM - 1 Like   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
How times change. More disposable income, more disposable products. 67-94 with three camera bodies. 2004 to 2018 with 8. Time is accelerating.
Yeah, but with film you could upgrade to a 'newer sensor' just by changing a roll of film, and 'focus improvements' were developed by improving the photographer behind the camera. I think auto metering was a big jump initially, but today metering only improves incrementally.

Today you buy a new camera for improved high ISO, more resolution (megapickles), and AF performance. Unfortunately that means replacing the whole shebang, but at least the old lenses are still compatible!

That said, I'll drool over the K-1 and KP, but I'm still quite satisfied with my K-3. (At least for another year or two )
05-06-2018, 12:26 AM - 1 Like   #44

Photos: Albums
Me too, i started with an SV.

Just got a K-P. Spent a few days dicking with it, taming the front/back focus for my various lenses, building up the grip, etc. Nice cam.

So far abt the only feature i'd want added would be the ability to map the AF actuation to the configurable buttons instead of limiting it to the AE lock. i'd want to be able to map it to the EV button so i can move my index finger slightly over and actuate AF by pressing the EV button.
05-17-2018, 11:34 PM - 1 Like   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you for a wonderful story about your interest in photography through the years. I too had my interest in photography when I was in my teens. I started off with a Canon AE-1 Program with a Canon 28mm and a Vivitar 75-200mm lenses my late mom got for me from a government auction. I used it and also started reading up on the use through books.

During my late teens while serving the nation through compulsory conscription, an army buddy introduced me to a camera shop that he frequents outside the army camp. Bought myself a Cosina CT-1 Super in K mount and used it until I "upgraded" to a Chinon CP-7m. Then I started working and bought a Pentax Z-20 (PZ-20 in USA) and used that for the next 13 years.

Fast forward to the 2000s and I got a 2nd hand K10D, bought a K20D and I have bought all the models from Pentax except the Km, K50, K5II, and K3II. I currently have the K1 and bought for my son the KP.

I am still enjoying photography although I don't shoot that much nowadays.