Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2018, 08:14 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
KP and the DA 20-40 ltd feel very good together. The zoom is "well damped" taking two fingers to move.
Only thing that concerns me about the lens is the front cap using friction-fit to hold it on the lens.
I can see me loosing it at some point because of it accidentally getting snagged on something.
Mine has held well over the years.
Comparing with the DA 35 Ltd Macro cap,
I think the larger diameter is helping.

03-01-2018, 08:19 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My thing is that every time I pull the camera out of the bag, the lens cap gets left behind.
Luckily this is happening in the bag.
03-01-2018, 08:42 PM - 1 Like   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mike.hiran Quote
So many good choices, but the DA20-40 seems like the perfect match for the KP. I recently traveled with the KP and the 16-50 because I thought the weather could get pretty bad (February in Denver) and it just doesn't have the same feel as the 20-40 in terms of balance. I too have the FA77 and it's amazing on the KP. The FA43 and DA15 are also a really good fit if you're wanting a small kit. Speaking of small, you might be familiar with the 40mm pancakes Pentax made - well the new version, the DA40 f2.8, is super sharp and it still retains it's pancake form.

Hope you enjoy getting familiar with the KP! It really is a special little camera that takes stunning photos!
I got to reading , investigating , and looking at images with the DA 40 and Im liking it alot ! Thank you for turning my attention to a somewhat forgotten , and not so popular lens.

---------- Post added 03-01-18 at 09:46 PM ----------

My thing is that every time I pull the camera out of the bag, the lens cap gets left behind.
Luckily this is happening in the bag.
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Im somewhat of a lens cap looser anyway , so today I ordered a used one off the internet. Expensive little buggar to say the least , but at least I have it covered (pun) when I do. Haha ! Thank you.

Last edited by HelenJo; 03-01-2018 at 08:58 PM.
03-04-2018, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #19
PEG Gallery Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Hielands o' Scootlund....... Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand................William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by HelenJo Quote
I have a drawer full of various Pentax primes
I'm pretty interested about what you've stashed in your drawers... if you'll please excuse the terminology.

My harem of Pentax "Ladies" are no youngster these days, but for me they are still able to produce the goods when asked.

03-05-2018, 09:03 AM - 1 Like   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I'm pretty interested about what you've stashed in your drawers... if you'll please excuse the terminology.

My harem of Pentax "Ladies" are no youngster these days, but for me they are still able to produce the goods when asked.
I think yours might be more recent ?
My Lingerie chest has 7 drawers , all are packed full of lenses ! Ha !
My Takumar 35mm 2.3 , 85mm 1.8 , and 58mm Takumars are favorites ! A few also produce "The Goods". Haha !

---------- Post added 03-05-18 at 10:13 AM ----------

I can hardly wait ! My lens is being delivered in the next two hours by Fedex. I keep looking out the window , and listening for the truck....Im so excited !

Last edited by HelenJo; 03-05-2018 at 09:08 AM.
03-05-2018, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

I hope you like your new DA 20-40mm LTD on your KP as well as I like mine! Marvelous compact design and superb imaging. Very versatile and capable for its compactness, and very well-built, having WR as well, and a quiet, accurate AF. You are right that the DA 15mm and FA 77mm Limiteds make a fabulous quality kit together with the DA 20-40mm LTD. I have carried that very kit numerous times.
03-06-2018, 01:13 PM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I hope you like your new DA 20-40mm LTD on your KP as well as I like mine! Marvelous compact design and superb imaging. Very versatile and capable for its compactness, and very well-built, having WR as well, and a quiet, accurate AF. You are right that the DA 15mm and FA 77mm Limiteds make a fabulous quality kit together with the DA 20-40mm LTD. I have carried that very kit numerous times.
I loved it ! That is until I took a few images. Its now on its way back to B&H photo and a replacement is on its way . The lens was horribly de-centered. I had Rony come over and check it out , and he said it was severe also. Im very disappointed , but not ready to give up.
03-06-2018, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I loved it ! That is until I took a few images. Its now on its way back to B&H photo and a replacement is on its way . The lens was horribly de-centered. I had Rony come over and check it out , and he said it was severe also. Im very disappointed , but not ready to give up.
It was very strange the way it was decentered. When you focused the blur changed every time to a different edge. at infinity it was the same , and at close focus it was the same , but in between it was all over the edges ? Ive never seen anything like it at all.
HJ..."""please""" stop with the Rony name thing..."""please""" !

Last edited by Ronald Oakes; 03-06-2018 at 01:51 PM.
03-06-2018, 03:17 PM - 3 Likes   #24
Pentaxian

Oh, now, coming from her the Rony name thing is cute.

There are some lab tests of this lens, especially from Ephotozine and Imaging Resource. The latter also provides test mages- a standard test chart, and a shot they always use for various tests, done at different focal lengths and apertures. This one is especially interesting because it is of actual objects. The lens wide open is not great at the edges, but not terrible. Especially at 20mm, but it is great beyond the 15% or so from the edge to center, even wide open. Then stopped down to f/5.6 it becomes very sharp throughout. You can click on the image, and then any portion of it to examine a blowup. Check the brush in the cup at the far right, and the edge of the basket at the far left to get an idea.

As is typical, however, the tests are good for evaluation to a point, although not usually revealing of the exceptional rendering of some highly-regarded lenses in actual picture-taking.

Hopefully, the replacement will be ok.

Last edited by mikesbike; 03-06-2018 at 03:25 PM.
03-06-2018, 06:11 PM - 1 Like   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry to hear that. The lens is one of my favorite ones.
03-06-2018, 07:21 PM   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
HJ..."""please""" stop with the Rony name thing..."""please""" !
Oh , I forgot , sorry Rony.

---------- Post added 03-06-18 at 08:23 PM ----------

Sorry to hear that. The lens is one of my favorite ones.
I will have another on friday, Will try again.
03-10-2018, 06:32 AM - 2 Likes   #27
Forum Member

Original Poster
All is well with my World...Ha.
I got the replacement lens yesterday. After spending 3 hours with it , I am so Happy !
I did do a lens correction of +3 after alot of testing.
The first was badly de-centered , and had a little "rattle/click" sound inside when focusing. This one is quiet , and after the +3 adjustment its absolutely spot on !
Almost went with the 16-85 instead of this one. Sure glad I didnt because this little Baby has Class and Style !
I absolutely could not be Happier with any lens Ive ever owned in my life. Period !

Last edited by HelenJo; 03-10-2018 at 06:43 AM.
03-10-2018, 06:40 AM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

Front element rattle seems common with Pentax ltd lenses. My 43mm/1.9 did it and now 35mm macro ltd does it. It has large impact in IQ which is easy to see when using high magnification in live view during precision focusing.
03-10-2018, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

Fortunately, I haven't experienced such problems, rattle, etc with my Pentax lenses. But anything made by humans can come out imperfect.

HelenJo, I am so glad you got a good copy of this exceptional lens! It is just so perfect on the KP! And the IQ rendering, etc is truly great!
03-18-2018, 11:18 AM - 2 Likes   #30
Pentaxian

Glad the new lens worked out for you. I love mine on the KP.

FWIW i got tired of losing my lens cap. i tried a lens keeper but it really looked unsightly so I ended up buying an inexpensive screw on lens hood with cap from Amazon. it definitely adds a bit to the size of the lens but no more lost caps. Here's a shot of it in my camera bag.