Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35 Likes Search this Thread
02-28-2018, 08:32 PM   #1
Forum Member

First new glass for my KP is a DA 20-40 Limited and Im very excited !

Since buying the KP , as most likely the last Camera I will eve use . I have decided that I also need to update some of my old glass for something more modern and up to date !
I have a drawer full of various Pentax primes , and a few old Pentax Zooms , but nothing even remotely considered recent since about the 80's.

Today that has changed , and Ive moved into the modern world ! I ordered a DA 20-40 limited from B&H and cant wait to try it out.
My decision was based largely on two criteria. First being size and weight , and second being the high ratings in the review section for this lens.

Is there anything to watch out for , or to check , when I get my copy in a few days ?
I read that a few lenses have de-centering issues ? I ordered from B&H so returns arent an issue.

I have always liked wide rendering , and although I still need a 15mm lens to make me happy , I rarely go wider than about 80mm on Aps-c.
Most likely I will add the HD DA15 limited , and the HD DA 77 limited next week , but still shopping , and doing my homework for now.

This most likely will be my only modern zoom lens.

If there is anything someone would like to contribute with my choice ? Please feel free.
I feel confident in it , but there may be something I havent considered.

02-28-2018, 08:43 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just take some shots at varied apertures and see what it looks like. Then you can see if you need to do any in camera focus adjustments. If so then you can use a focus checker. I can heartily recommend the FA 77 for portrait length. It is a very capable lens.
02-28-2018, 08:44 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Congrats... I am confident you will like the DA 20-40 limited lens, especially on the KP. I had this lens since 2015 on my k-3 and now often left on the k-1. I do mostly event photography and I do find this lens to be quite good as a walk-around indoor lens. Here is an example of the ones I did recently.
02-28-2018, 08:51 PM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Congratulations, HJ, it's always seemed to me do be a great choice for a walkabout lens.

02-28-2018, 09:02 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Just take some shots at varied apertures and see what it looks like. Then you can see if you need to do any in camera focus adjustments. If so then you can use a focus checker. I can heartily recommend the FA 77 for portrait length. It is a very capable lens.
I meant to say the HD DA 70 , not the 77.
I have used the FA 77 lens in the past , and yes it is a spectacular lens. I dont know "why" I never replaced it after I absent mindlessly , left it in the bathroom cabinet while on a cruise to the Antarctic . Somebody got real lucky !

---------- Post added 02-28-18 at 10:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Congratulations, HJ, it's always seemed to me do be a great choice for a walkabout lens.
Great ! Thats Exactly why I wanted one. Thanks.

---------- Post added 02-28-18 at 10:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
When you say a focus checker ? You mean a front/back focus scale ? If so , Ive got that covered for any lens adjustment. Thanks.

Last edited by HelenJo; 03-01-2018 at 01:25 PM.
02-28-2018, 09:08 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The DA 20-40 quickly became one of my favorite lenses after I bought it. I used it on my K-1 at the last wedding I shot with stunning results. That and the 77 (I don’t have the 70) make a great 2 lens walk around kit.
02-28-2018, 09:10 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You'll love the DA 15 Limited.

02-28-2018, 09:17 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HelenJo Quote
If there is anything someone would like to contribute with my choice ? Please feel free.
I feel confident in it , but there may be something I havent considered.
It's a superb lens, and has been my most used on APS-C more or less since it was released.

On some no longer fresh bodies (e.g., K-50), there could be issues with PDAF (viewfinder) focus at wider angles.
This seems to be the root cause of some early testers' negative attitude to the lens.
(That, and the fact that it wasn't the Sigma 18-35, which was the big excitement at the time.)
So I normally used CDAF from live view to focus it when zoomed out to below 30mm.

My newest APS-C body is a K-S2, where I still tend to use the CDAF technique.
However, I've recently been trying the DA 20-40 on a K-1,
and that camera's more modern PDAF seems to cope better.
So you may not need to worry about this on your KP.
But if the wide end does look soft, you could try using live view to focus.
02-28-2018, 09:17 PM - 1 Like   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
The DA 20-40 quickly became one of my favorite lenses after I bought it. I used it on my K-1 at the last wedding I shot with stunning results. That and the 77 (I don’t have the 70) make a great 2 lens walk around kit.
Yes. Im thinking the 15 limited , 20-40 , and the 70 or 77 . I just found that they still sell the FA 77 Limited ! This was the last lens my husband bought me (and I lost it about 5 years ago ) before he passed away. I had NO idea it was still in production ? Im so excited , i wont be able to sleep tonight...Ha.
Ive used the 77 on film and digital , I agree that is simply "stunning" to say the least.

---------- Post added 02-28-18 at 10:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
It's a superb lens, and has been my most used on APS-C more or less since it was released.

On some no longer fresh bodies (e.g., K-50), there could be issues with PDAF (viewfinder) focus at wider angles.
This seems to be the root cause of some early testers' negative attitude to the lens.
(That, and the fact that it wasn't the Sigma 18-35, which was the big excitement at the time.)
So I normally used CDAF from live view to focus it when zoomed out to below 30mm.

My newest APS-C body is a K-S2, where I still tend to use the CDAF technique.
However, I've recently been trying the DA 20-40 on a K-1,
and that camera's more modern PDAF seems to cope better.
So you may not need to worry about this on your KP.
But if the wide end does look soft, you could try using live view to focus.
Im a PRO at live view ! I shoot in M mode with manual lenses. Thats going to change very soon.
02-28-2018, 09:43 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So many good choices, but the DA20-40 seems like the perfect match for the KP. I recently traveled with the KP and the 16-50 because I thought the weather could get pretty bad (February in Denver) and it just doesn't have the same feel as the 20-40 in terms of balance. I too have the FA77 and it's amazing on the KP. The FA43 and DA15 are also a really good fit if you're wanting a small kit. Speaking of small, you might be familiar with the 40mm pancakes Pentax made - well the new version, the DA40 f2.8, is super sharp and it still retains it's pancake form.

Hope you enjoy getting familiar with the KP! It really is a special little camera that takes stunning photos!
03-01-2018, 01:17 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I have all the (old SMC) DA limited primes and they're fantastic. I'd love a 20-40mm too, I'm sure you'll like it.
03-01-2018, 06:39 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mike.hiran Quote
So many good choices, but the DA20-40 seems like the perfect match for the KP. I recently traveled with the KP and the 16-50 because I thought the weather could get pretty bad (February in Denver) and it just doesn't have the same feel as the 20-40 in terms of balance. I too have the FA77 and it's amazing on the KP. The FA43 and DA15 are also a really good fit if you're wanting a small kit. Speaking of small, you might be familiar with the 40mm pancakes Pentax made - well the new version, the DA40 f2.8, is super sharp and it still retains it's pancake form.

Hope you enjoy getting familiar with the KP! It really is a special little camera that takes stunning photos!
Yes , I want a small kit of small lenses. However I will most likely forego the 40mm. Probably go with the 15mm , 20-40mm , and follow up with the 70 or 77mm lens.
03-01-2018, 09:14 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by HelenJo Quote
Yes , I want a small kit of small lenses. However I will most likely forego the 40mm. Probably go with the 15mm , 20-40mm , and follow up with the 70 or 77mm lens.
I have 15, 21, 35, 40xs, and 77. (I really should sell a couple of these...) I bought 20-40 because I often want weather sealing while traveling. 15, 20-40 plus 70 or 77 is great 3 lenses travel kit!
03-01-2018, 11:46 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Love the 20-40 on my K3. The typical K3 bag is the 10-17, 20-40 and the 55-300PLM/50-135. I like the funkiness of the fish-eye. And I've migrated towards stitching a few 20mm shots together for wide angle shots. The 15mm lens takes great shots - I love the lens thread for that one, but I've never owned one.
03-01-2018, 07:27 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

KP and the DA 20-40 ltd feel very good together. The zoom is "well damped" taking two fingers to move.
Only thing that concerns me about the lens is the front cap using friction-fit to hold it on the lens.
I can see me loosing it at some point because of it accidentally getting snagged on something.