Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2018, 11:59 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does anyone have the battery grip?

How do you like it?

03-03-2018, 12:19 PM   #2

I have a battery grip for a K5 and for a K3. I find it gives the camera a nice balance with both my 31mm and 77mm lenses. Having the extra controls on the grip makes vertical shooting nicer but it does add some weight, although not too much. The K3 grip is nicer because it has an adapter that will take 3 AA batteries, I have never used it, but it could be useful if you kill both of your batteries.

The thing I don't like is I had a grip for the K5, then I had to get another for the K3 and if I move up to a K1 - another grip! At least they kept the battery the same.
03-03-2018, 01:57 PM   #3
Pentaxian

It is mandatory accessory when shooting @ 0C or colder. Best served with original brand DLI90 battery which powers the KP for hours down to -30C.

Funny note about the grip - holding the combo from the vertical grip makes me wonder why the camera's main grip was ruined with BAD ergonomics.
03-03-2018, 02:04 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
why the camera's main grip was ruined with BAD ergonomics.
Because RI marketing guy thought it was cool: the cool factor is important in Japan, but sometimes it turns out to be not so cool in practice.

03-03-2018, 03:17 PM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Funny note about the grip - holding the combo from the vertical grip makes me wonder why the camera's main grip was ruined with BAD ergonomics.
You can say it has bad ergonomics for you - but it's a personal thing. For some, it's just fine. I tried the KP out at a show, and whilst I prefer the feel of my K-3 / K-3II, the KP felt OK to me.

It's as if the KP was designed to appeal to those on the DSLR vs mirrorless fringes... the slimmer body and grip are almost Sony A7-like (the A7 series also receives criticism for its ergonomics with larger lenses). But there are plenty of people with the KP that have absolutely no issues with the main grip. Like I said, it's down to the individual's tastes and use-cases...
03-03-2018, 03:52 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
But there are plenty of people with the KP that have absolutely no issues with the main grip.
Put me in that group, in fact, I love it!
I do use the largest one most of the time.
03-03-2018, 06:19 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
How do you like it?
Have it and like it a lot! The D-BG 7...
03-03-2018, 06:36 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is mandatory accessory when shooting @ 0C or colder. Best served with original brand DLI90 battery which powers the KP for hours down to -30C.

nothing has changed.

03-03-2018, 07:28 PM - 1 Like   #9
Forum Member

I have the KP with grip and the K-3 with grip. I don't think that comparing them is a good idea because in my opinion they are two separate breeds. But for the sake of sharing, I would say that the K-3's grip has better ergonomics. Other than that, they are both helpful with the extra batteries. It is easier to hand carry them, and they are great for portrait mode photos. They also make your camera look cool! For me the only negative would be the added bulk. The KP's size, form and weight are some of the main reasons I keep using the KP more than the K3 these days.
03-03-2018, 08:14 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Caribe Quote
I have the KP with grip and the K-3 with grip. I don't think that comparing them is a good idea because in my opinion they are two separate breeds. But for the sake of sharing, I would say that the K-3's grip has better ergonomics. Other than that, they are both helpful with the extra batteries. It is easier to hand carry them, and they are great for portrait mode photos. They also make your camera look cool! For me the only negative would be the added bulk. The KP's size, form and weight are some of the main reasons I keep using the KP more than the K3 these days.
The KP ergonomics are fine for me with the medium grip. I appreciate the opportunity to fit the camera to my hands rather than the other way round.

I just carry extra batteries.
03-04-2018, 12:02 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I tried it out from another Forum member and just found the whole setup too big for me. Now I don't really need it at all , so I just bought extra batteries instead.
It did look very nice , and I cant say anything was designed wrong with it as I found it quite nice. Guess it all boils down to need , and what type of shooting you do !
03-04-2018, 01:25 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I have it, and I like it when I need it for what it can do. It certainly does enlarge the grip area, but for me that is generally unnecessary, although somewhat better for balance with large lenses. It also greatly extends battery capacity, and it is very good for extensive vertical shooting.

For some, the battery grip feel may be preferable for overall use, and get it so they can enjoy all the other advanced features offered by the KP. For me, I like the option so I can also take advantage of the KP's compact design aspect, especially with compact lenses.
03-04-2018, 02:52 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Of course I have issues with the main grip because I need to use the large grip which is edgy (versus pleasant to grip). And the D-BG7 is designed to fit the large grip (comes included in case your KP did not have all 3 grips).

Using vertical grip feels a mess because the combination actually feels good to hold and as you switch orientation it feels like holding a different camera alltogether.
03-04-2018, 03:40 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Wow, not only can I not seem to locate a silver grip anywhere, but on the Ricoh Imaging web page, the silver KP seems unavailable now as well
03-05-2018, 01:21 PM   #15
Pentaxian

There is no silver grip. B&H has the silver KP in stock, and currently offering a very good deal. The black grip matches just fine, however, as the silver KP is actually black and silver.

Due to the fact Pentax has been on-and-off concerning their silver bodied camera designs and their availability, and since I like my silver KP so much, both for appearance and for performance, I took advantage of such a deal and bought a 2nd silver body!