Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2018, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #1

KP or not

Bit of a decision. I presently have a K5. Have plans to replace it this year, as it has 133,000 on it. I use this camera exclusively with the DA 55-300. Am relatively satisfied with the results.

This camera and lens are taken mountain biking, kayaking, snowshoeing etc. Had planned on a K3ii before they area all gone. But now I see Henry's cameras in Toronto have a special. Buy the KP and get $230.00 off the 55-300 plm. Had planned on the PLM anyway, just wondering any advice going to the KP instead of K3ii. Can anyone advise. Is there someone with experience in both ? I do realize the larger buffer,better battery life, and a 200,00 shutter.

I do anticipate a quicker auto focus just because of the lens. I would use the K5( with the DA 300) as a backup and possibly get rid of my KR.

Hope this is the correct forum

Thanks

John

03-09-2018, 12:54 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, the lens will deliver much quicker AF, with the same results on the K-3 II or KP since they share the same AF system.

The key difference to consider IMO is image quality. The KP delivers better high-ISO results than the K-3, and it has a more modern UI, but on the other hand it lags behind in ergonomics, buffer size, and the aspects you mentioned. What's most important to you?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-09-2018, 01:12 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I suggest you pick up a KP to see if you like the ergonomics before making the choice. I had a chance to play with one at Bic Camera in Japan & I really didn't like the way it felt in my hands. I could probably get used to it, but I much prefer the way my K-50 fits in my hands.

But yeah, out of all the Pentax APS-C bodies ever made, the KP has the best image quality hands down. The K-70 is a very close second. The K-3II still offers a ton of bang for the buck & it's built like a tank. I would still pick a K-3II over a KP or a K-70.
03-09-2018, 01:14 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The change in ergonomics from a K-5 to a K-3II is going to be much less impacful than jumping to a KP. I second the notion of holding a KP first although I realize that's not always so easy.

03-09-2018, 02:02 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks to all. Thee is no Pentax Dealer near where I live. Have heard of the ergonomic issue. But the image quality the special price are tempting.
03-09-2018, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

^ You can always order it, try it out, & in case you don't like it, send it back. Who knows, you might end up liking it a lot.
03-09-2018, 02:59 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
^ You can always order it, try it out, & in case you don't like it, send it back. Who knows, you might end up liking it a lot.
Yes you are correct. That may be the path to take.

Thanks

John

03-09-2018, 03:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Go KP with the special price it is an awesome camera. Especially since you wanted the 55-300 PLM anyways.
03-09-2018, 05:11 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I have a K-3II. It does very well as far as image quality, AF, and overall control setup. I like that it has a top of body lcd screen to view control settings (ISO, Aperture, Shutter Speed, EV, and other). That is something the KP does not have. That is something I would not want to do without because it allows almost immediate viewing of settings while I am adjusting them, which is very nice for on the move.

Last edited by C_Jones; 03-09-2018 at 05:40 PM.
03-09-2018, 05:42 PM   #10
Forum Member

I have the k-3 and the kp. I generally agree with comments here. But the kp is lighter, somehow smaller and the ergonomics is fine in my opinion. KP's autofocus is better than the k-3. And the kp has the image quality I wanted the k-3 to have (I guess the k3ii successor will have). The KP has a more versatile lcd display. If money holds you back you'll be fine with the K-3ii.
03-09-2018, 09:03 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I have a K-3II. It does very well as far as image quality, AF, and overall control setup. I like that it has a top of body lcd screen to view control settings (ISO, Aperture, Shutter Speed, EV, and other). That is something the KP does not have. That is something I would not want to do without because it allows almost immediate viewing of settings while I am adjusting them, which is very nice for on the move.
I anticipate operating a KP in TAv mode, so I wouldn't be controlling ISO directly. When using my K-30, I use the e-dials to adjust shutter speed and aperture - I'm looking either at the back or through the viewfinder when so doing, so a top LCD would be of no use to me, and I cannot imagine using a KP any differently - in fact, I cannot envision any time when I'd be staring at the top of the camera.
03-10-2018, 06:15 AM   #12
Forum Member

If your undecided ? Hold off until you can handle one in person.
I was undecided until I went into B&H and got Up-Close and personal with the KP.
Of course it was all over with after that and I now own 2 !
03-10-2018, 06:35 AM   #13
Veteran Member

KP does not have a "grip". It is more an edgy piece of rubber and plastic designed to follow thin mirrorless form of recent competing offerings from other brands. Be sure to order version which comes with all three swappable "grips" to find one which is okay for your needs.

Getting the battery grip is recommended for medium-to-large hands.
03-10-2018, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HelenJo Quote
If your undecided ? Hold off until you can handle one in person.
I was undecided until I went into B&H and got Up-Close and personal with the KP.
Of course it was all over with after that and I now own 2 !
wow..bought 2 of them. Shows that it really impressed you. Thanks

John

---------- Post added 03-10-18 at 10:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
KP does not have a "grip". It is more an edgy piece of rubber and plastic designed to follow thin mirrorless form of recent competing offerings from other brands. Be sure to order version which comes with all three swappable "grips" to find one which is okay for your needs.

Getting the battery grip is recommended for medium-to-large hands.
MJ Thanks for that advice. I thought they all came with the 3 grips. Will certainly ask if I place an order.

John
03-10-2018, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
KP does not have a "grip". It is more an edgy piece of rubber and plastic designed to follow thin mirrorless form of recent competing offerings from other brands.
Boy Howdy do I ever love the KP's "grip"!!!
After owning 4 different Pentax film SLRs, and DSLR's K-10D, K-5, K-S2, the KP is my favorite by a fair amount.
I'm tempted to do like Helen and get another one, and probably will if or when they start a clearance sale on them.