Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2018, 09:34 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Ya. It may work for some but not for others. I had huge facepalm moment after using K-1 in the past for quite a long time and then picking a DSLR again to complement my film camera setup.

03-10-2018, 09:51 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Ya. It may work for some but not for others.
I agree, that's why I like the fact that Pentax makes cameras to suit different users, I'd hate being stuck with only a K-1 or K-3 size body/grip/etc to choose from.
03-10-2018, 11:37 AM   #18

Original Poster
Thanks. I do like the grip on my K5 and the KR. Have taken the ergonomics for granted on Pentax cameras until now. Photo quality however is the prime consideration. The 55-300 will probably never come off of it. How does it balance with this camera ?

Thanks everyone !

John
03-10-2018, 01:01 PM   #19

Original Poster
Thanks Bob
I may just order it. If it has 3 grips surely one of them will be satisfactory.

John

03-10-2018, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by John A. Quote
Thanks. I do like the grip on my K5 and the KR. Have taken the ergonomics for granted on Pentax cameras until now. Photo quality however is the prime consideration. The 55-300 will probably never come off of it. How does it balance with this camera ?

Thanks everyone !

John
Anyone who could use a 'long lens' on one of the cameras that inspired the KP will have no issues with KP itself - the 'balance' is provided by user's left hand

03-10-2018, 02:55 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by John A. Quote
Thanks Bob
I may just order it. If it has 3 grips surely one of them will be satisfactory.

John
Have a KP with the battery grip, it is a must have for my hand size, plus holding a D-Li90 in it makes a world of difference in battery life.
So far finding the economics just fine comparing to K5, it is skinnier but not bad at all.

Have been using a K1 with 24-70 2.8 for about a week or so, it is a beast as far as image quality goes but IMO the KP with the 20-40 ltd is better.
I have no difficulty switching between the bodies as far as handling goes, the different button placement does make me pause and think sometimes.

Cheers, Mike
edit: reh321 inspired image upload. The KP is actually pretty chunky compared to old film bodies.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 03-10-2018 at 03:22 PM. Reason: adding images inspired by reh321 post.
03-10-2018, 03:19 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would say don't make a snap judgment regarding the grip when you feel it, because there may be some adjustment in the way the camera/lens is held compared with the K-5. And there are 3 standard grips for the KP (unique). However, since you already own the K-r (which I used to have also), I don't think the transition will be any problem for you. I've had the K-5 and K-5 IIs for some time, both bought new as closeouts. Last year I bought the KP and I love it. I got the silver version, which is different and beautiful. As others have done, I took advantage of recent specials and bought a 2nd one also! And I bought the battery grip as well.

I still keep my K-5 IIs for times when I want its features, like the deeper buffer, etc. but now it is the KP most often by far. The DA 55-300mm is a great little tele zoom lens, and will serve very well on the compact, but well-built and well-designed KP. But to more fully realize all the IQ it is capable of, a premium-quality lens will deliver that! Just be sure to implement Fine Sharpening in the Custom Image menus for both the "Bright" (default for most uses), and the "Natural" categories.

03-10-2018, 06:35 PM - 1 Like   #23
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I did the January 2018 Single In Challenge with my new KP and DA 55-300 PLM. By the end of the month, the KP and DA55-300 PLM had supplanted my K-1 and DA*60-250 for my upcoming Galapagos (and other places) trip. The high IQ and focusing speed of the KP and DA55-300 PLM, combined with their much lighter weight, made the choice easy. My K-3 will be the backup/2nd active camera, and will usually be sporting the DA16-85. The matching of sensor sizes between these 2 was a bonus, making final lens selection easier.

The large grip for the KP is a necessity for me, and didn't take too long to get used to (still not the rock-solid feel of the K-3, however). Battery life is shorter, as many have noted, so more, but lighter and faster charging, batteries will be taken. And I have the D-BG7 battery grip to use the larger D-Li90 battery if necessary. I've always liked the top LCD of the K-5 and K-3, but maybe the smaller top LCD of the K-1 got me used to not so much information available on top. I don't miss a top LCD on the KP at all. Buffer size and burst speed is lower than the K-3, but I rarely hit the notorious buffer limit on the K-1, so not a concern for me.

As most KP owners, with no stores within a zillion miles having one, I bought my KP on Pentax faith. And am happy I got over desperately waiting for the K-3 "flagship" replacement.
03-11-2018, 11:29 AM   #24

Original Poster
Thanks to all. The pic of the telephoto and the thin film camera sure put it in perspective. And yes...a bit of "Pentax Faith' ( like that term ) Once I do the unboxing of everything, will let you know.

tks

John