Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2018, 01:02 PM   #16
Pentaxian

There was a recent post by someone who was using his KP extensively in the most severely cold and wet conditions. it was shown on a tripod covered in ice and snow! The conditions being so severe, the shutter button was giving him trouble, but since the battery grip was being used, its shutter button remained fully functional. Other than that, the camera was fine. My comment regarding coming in from cold into warm conditions pertains to any equipment, including lenses, because of possible interior condensation occurrence.

I doubt very much that any environmental conditions were responsible for your problem.

03-13-2018, 02:26 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
There was a recent post by someone who was using his KP extensively in the most severely cold and wet conditions. it was shown on a tripod covered in ice and snow! The conditions being so severe, the shutter button was giving him trouble, but since the battery grip was being used, its shutter button remained fully functional. Other than that, the camera was fine. My comment regarding coming in from cold into warm conditions pertains to any equipment, including lenses, because of possible interior condensation occurrence.

I doubt very much that any environmental conditions were responsible for your problem.
I tend to agree Mike, I would be surprised and disappointed if the weather was the cause of my KP's madness, it has not been maltreated if you take Pentax's claims for the KP's operating parameters seriously. Luckily I still have my K3 to play with.

Nick
03-14-2018, 12:38 PM - 1 Like   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
There was a recent post by someone who was using his KP extensively in the most severely cold and wet conditions. it was shown on a tripod covered in ice and snow! The conditions being so severe, the shutter button was giving him trouble...
QuoteOriginally posted by Nickrs Quote
I tend to agree Mike, I would be surprised and disappointed if the weather was the cause of my KP's madness, it has not been maltreated if you take Pentax's claims for the KP's operating parameters seriously. Luckily I still have my K3 to play with...
The user in question had taken his camera far below the advertised temperature range and posted a mild rant critical of the failure. Their KP recovered with an overnight warming despite the mistreatment.

Moisture incursion is another matter. Despite advertising stunts, Ricoh as well as Hoya and Pentax before them have not generally honored warranty claims where evidence of moisture was found inside a failed body. It makes no difference whether a sealed lens was mounted. The same is true all other makers, regardless of price or reputation. With any luck, your problem will be a garden-variety board failure.

Steve
03-15-2018, 04:07 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
If my KP's problems have been caused by water ingress I WILL NOT BE IMPRESSED!

Pentax's marketing here in the UK relies heavily on the range's all weather reputation, my KP was not subjected to anything like the torture pictured in the brand's advertising, just a little light snow. If Ricoh try to blame the fault on user mis-operation I will remind them that I have spent thousands of ££s on Pentax cameras and lenses over the last five years and I have encouraged others to support the brand too, hopefully it won't come to a dispute as my experience with the brand has been wholly positive so far.

03-22-2018, 01:05 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Angry!!!!!

THE WEATHER RESISTANCE CLAIMS FOR THE PENTAX KP ARE DEEPLY SUSPECT!

Well the report is back from the UK service centre with an offer to replace my four month old KP for £802.80. I have received photographs (attached) purporting to show water damage on a large circuit board which considering my camera was only exposed to a small amount of snow and is heavily marketed as weather resistant makes me unbelievably angry. If I hadn't invested so much in the Ricoh/Pentax platform I would consider ditching all my kit, I feel conned. Weather resistant? My a-rse.

If you have a KP my advice would be only use it indoors and if don't have a KP I would say buy something else. I have used my K3 and my K50 in far worse conditions without any problems, this is not good.

I have now raised a formal warranty claim with Ricoh UK through the service centre, see below.
"Dear Paula,

Thanks for your assessment, to be honest I am shocked and gravely disappointed that my Pentax KP has suffered "fluid" damage. The Pentax KP is sold as being as weather resistant and all the product marketing by Ricoh makes a great play of this attribute. The only "fluid" my KP has been exposed to was a little light snow a couple of weeks ago, at the time it was fitted with my Pentax D-FA 28-105 DC WR lens and my Pentax DA - Rear Converter 1.4X AW both of which claim to be weather resistant. I was using my KP well within the conditions and parameters set by the manufacturer, taking great care with it, the camera is in otherwise excellent condition.

How can I make a warranty claim? Do I make the claim through you as the recommended (by SRS Microsystems) warranty repair centre or do I have to contact Ricoh-Pentax directly?

I am a loyal customer of Ricoh-Pentax and have purchased a large number of their products , this is the first time I have had a problem with anything, I am completely surprised by and did not foresee this camera's fragility at all.

Thank you for assistance.

Nick"
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio WG-2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio WG-2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio WG-2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio WG-2  Photo 
03-22-2018, 02:19 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's rough. I had a feeling this was going to be the outcome.

I will make this point. I wonder if the early build cameras had some kind of build quality issue (This is why I asked about your serial number). TCSTV did note panel gap issues with their review camera.
Might be worth pursuing that angle with Ricoh.
03-22-2018, 02:34 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
That's rough. I had a feeling this was going to be the outcome.

I will make this point. I wonder if the early build cameras had some kind of build quality issue (This is why I asked about your serial number). TCSTV did note panel gap issues with their review camera.
Might be worth pursuing that angle with Ricoh.
That is helpful, thanks.

I have spoken with SRS Microsystems (Pentax main dealer) where I bought my KP and they have said they would fight in my corner if necessary, I have always had excellent service from them and they emphasised the quality of Ricoh-Pentax UK's customer service yesterday.

Nick
03-22-2018, 03:23 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Luckily for you, you live in a country with very good consumer laws. See, for instance, Consumer Rights Act 2015 - Which? Consumer Rights

And Ricoh's marketing materials: http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/kp/feature/02.html and https://www.adorama.com/alc/first-look-pentax-kp-enthusiast-dslr-is-speed-demon

03-22-2018, 03:36 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Help, help.

I went to use my KP yesterday and I discovered the battery was flat so I charged it, so far so normal. When I put the recharged battery in my KP and switched it on the beast goes mad. A second after "on" the shutter starts firing without any human intervention and the only way to stop it is by powering down, the screen is dead and all controls don't work. Before I send it back to Pentax has anybody any insights into what has happened?
Do you have the vertical battery grip on it as well? If you do is it a Pentax or a less expensive aftermarket. I had an issue once with a "aftermarket" vertical grip for my K-3ii and I had a similar battery drain issue. Had to ditch that for a Pentax more costly grip
03-22-2018, 03:38 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Luckily for you, you live in a country with very good consumer laws. See, for instance, Consumer Rights Act 2015 - Which? Consumer Rights

And Ricoh's marketing materials: Features2 | PENTAX KP | RICOH IMAGING and First Look: Pentax KP Enthusiast DSLR Is Speed Demon - ALC
One of the benefits of being in the EU, but for the sake of national unity I really shouldn't say that because it is unpatriotic, or so I'm told.

"The Consumer Rights Act 2015 seeks to consolidate in one place key consumer rights covering contracts for goods, services and digital content, and the law relating to unfair terms in consumer contracts. These are areas where there has been considerable activity at both a national and an EU level. In particular, the Consumer Sales Directive 99/44/EC, the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Directive 93/13/EEC and the Consumer Rights Directive 2011/83/EU have all made significant changes to Member State law, promoting the idea of the ‘informed consumer’, able to assert his or her rights in entering consumer contracts."

---------- Post added 03-22-18 at 10:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Buhlmann Quote
Do you have the vertical battery grip on it as well? If you do is it a Pentax or a less expensive aftermarket. I had an issue once with a "aftermarket" vertical grip for my K-3ii and I had a similar battery drain issue. Had to ditch that for a Pentax more costly grip
Nope, it was snow apparently!!

Last edited by Nickrs; 03-22-2018 at 03:42 PM. Reason: missed out a word.
03-22-2018, 03:55 PM - 1 Like   #26
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

That white dried crusty stuff made it look like salt water or at least mineral water dried there. That is not logical at all. Your camera was not a demo or refurb, correct?
03-22-2018, 05:46 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
That white dried crusty stuff made it look like salt water or at least mineral water dried there. That is not logical at all. Your camera was not a demo or refurb, correct?
Yes that worried me, as far as I know my KP has never been near the sea and certainly the snow it was exposed to wasn't salty, I really can't explain it. I bought the camera from a main dealer as brand new, the more I think about it the worse it gets. I wish I hadn't bought the bloody thing now!
03-23-2018, 01:31 AM   #28
Pentaxian

In my time on this forum I've seen a few similar cases reported and while I understand the manufacturer's resistance to honour such claims, I think that if they're going to make claims of weather resistance then they need to be prepared to stand by them. Imagine if a medicine was sold but didn't do what it claimed to.

Pentax are not well known for the quality of their customer service, it seems to be well below the general quality of their products. I've had my K3 and 18-55 WR out in quite heavy snow for a considerable time without ill effect but I suspect that luck has as much to do with it's survival as anything else.
03-23-2018, 09:23 AM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I think that if they're going to make claims of weather resistance then they need to be prepared to stand by them. Imagine if a medicine was sold but didn't do what it claimed to.
First of all, my deepest sympathies to the OP. Nobody goes out shooting in inclement weather with the intent of ruining their camera, though almost all of us have shot under conditions where this is possible. I personally have even gotten a small warning in the form of transient bad behavior after 20 minutes of soaking (waterfall) mist.

A few pertinent quotes from previous discussions on similar topics:
QuoteQuote:
"Resistance is futile"...The Borg
QuoteQuote:
"Time and/or pressure will defeat all barriers"...taken from underwater photography site
QuoteQuote:
"It was only a light rain...more of a mist, actually"...PF member*
QuoteQuote:
"I had the camera out for about 20 minutes, max"...multiple PF members**
QuoteQuote:
"People think weather resistant means waterproof because they want to believe that."...Roger Cicala, noted WR cynic at LensRentals.com
QuoteQuote:
"I guess I now know the limits of the seals"...British user regarding dead K10D in first report of failed seals on this site that I recall, ca 2007
QuoteQuote:
Weather resistant – A term that consumers falsely define as ‘weather proof’ and camera companies accurately define as ‘the warranty doesn’t cover water damage’...From the Cynic's Photography Dictionary, Roger Cicala
QuoteQuote:
"Bad Weather Makes Good Pictures", title for a photo theme thread on this site LINK
QuoteQuote:
"Water resistant means...?", title for earliest question regarding seal effectiveness on this site LINK
QuoteQuote:
"Reasonable and prudent precautions"...legal jargon
Again, my sincerest sympathies go out to those with water-compromised cameras. It is tempting to point out that expected life-span of a Canon in the rain is measured in seconds, but that would not be helpful. I remember a (spoken) conversation where the other person likened seals to rugged construction. Many camera makers make enhanced build a marketing point, though none warranty failure due to rough handling. Most of us will node grimly when this is pointed out.

Again, like most of the other members of this site, I am guilty of pushing the limits of "reasonable and prudent" in regards to wet conditions. Sadly, I am also dumb enough to not have robust "drop 'n spill" insurance for my gear. I guess being a little cheap is also part of being a Pentaxian.

For the OP, I hope your dealer is able to work something out for you. It may also be that Ricoh/Pentax may opt to provide remedy. There have been rare reports on this site where the "water inside" rule was waived.

Steve

* Photographic evidence from the outing showed something more akin to a tropical downpour. The member lives in a wet area of the globe and was apparently desensitized

** The 20 minute span is fairly ubiquitous...go figure

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-23-2018 at 09:46 AM.
03-24-2018, 09:04 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
One of the benefits of being in the EU, but for the sake of national unity I really shouldn't say that because it is unpatriotic, or so I'm told.

"The Consumer Rights Act 2015 seeks to consolidate in one place key consumer rights covering contracts for goods, services and digital content, and the law relating to unfair terms in consumer contracts. These are areas where there has been considerable activity at both a national and an EU level. In particular, the Consumer Sales Directive 99/44/EC, the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Directive 93/13/EEC and the Consumer Rights Directive 2011/83/EU have all made significant changes to Member State law, promoting the idea of the ‘informed consumer’, able to assert his or her rights in entering consumer contracts."

---------- Post added 03-22-18 at 10:41 PM ----------

Well, just remember that things like warranty cost are built into the selling price of a product. This, no doubt drives up the retail cost of products in Europe. But since you are paying for it, I would hold them to it.