Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2018, 04:30 PM - 2 Likes   #31

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Well, just remember that things like warranty cost are built into the selling price of a product. This, no doubt drives up the retail cost of products in Europe. But since you are paying for it, I would hold them to it.
I will do my best to get Ricoh/Pentax UK to honour their weather resistance marketing hyperbole.

Here you hit upon the topic of perceived value, true costs, hidden costs etc, etc, in the US there is currently a political retreat from international free trade because it is perceived as being bad for US workers, on the other hand those same US workers want the low prices under-regulated free trade produces, hmmm, tricky. "And ye shall hear of trade wars and rumours of trade wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass". Low prices usually have hidden costs, meat raised on antibiotics may be (is) leading to unstoppable human infections in the future, but who cares when the price of a burger is such good value at the moment?

03-25-2018, 05:52 AM - 1 Like   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nickrs Quote
I will do my best to get Ricoh/Pentax UK to honour their weather resistance marketing hyperbole.

Here you hit upon the topic of perceived value, true costs, hidden costs etc, etc, in the US there is currently a political retreat from international free trade because it is perceived as being bad for US workers, on the other hand those same US workers want the low prices under-regulated free trade produces, hmmm, tricky. "And ye shall hear of trade wars and rumours of trade wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass". Low prices usually have hidden costs, meat raised on antibiotics may be (is) leading to unstoppable human infections in the future, but who cares when the price of a burger is such good value at the moment?
Not stepping any deeper into this morass. All we need to know is that there are bureaucracies involved and this never makes anything less expensive.

Good luck on your dealings with Ricoh.
03-27-2018, 04:17 AM - 2 Likes   #33

Original Poster
Okay here is the latest update on my mad KP.

Pentax have countered my warranty claim for water damage to my KP by offering a brand new KP for £400. Although I am very disappointed with my old KP's weather resistance I am cognisant that Ricoh-Pentax UK only has is my word that I was not misusing the camera, therefore I've decided to take the offer.

So the moral of this story is that the weather resistance claims for the KP by Ricoh-Pentax should be treated very sceptically. I bought the KP especially for astrophotography and astrophotography in the British Isles often requires working a dewy conditions, from now on my old K3 is going to be my foul weather friend.
03-27-2018, 06:04 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Where is now MackCam to show you - how good PEntax WR is .
_____
shame from Pentax

In your place Nickrs, I would not accept to buy a new KP for 400... I would rather turn that proposal down, and made contact to some of the bloggers to publish Weather Resistance - false or not claims - from Pentax marketing.

I was in your boat - and had WR issue with K-3 - and now I see how luckily I was, because I insisted in local service - to cover me in hole damage - because it's their fault ( Pentax ) . I told them I bought a weather resistant camera, and that means little water - with imidiattely dry with blanket - could ( would ) not harm the camera.

I succeded, and the damage was covered in warranty - 100 %.

Last edited by panonski; 03-27-2018 at 06:38 AM.
03-27-2018, 11:05 AM - 2 Likes   #35

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
Where is now MackCam to show you - how good PEntax WR is .
_____
shame from Pentax

In your place Nickrs, I would not accept to buy a new KP for 400... I would rather turn that proposal down, and made contact to some of the bloggers to publish Weather Resistance - false or not claims - from Pentax marketing.

I was in your boat - and had WR issue with K-3 - and now I see how luckily I was, because I insisted in local service - to cover me in hole damage - because it's their fault ( Pentax ) . I told them I bought a weather resistant camera, and that means little water - with imidiattely dry with blanket - could ( would ) not harm the camera.

I succeded, and the damage was covered in warranty - 100 %.
Well that's made me feel a whole lot better (not) !!!

I did consider fighting it out with Ricoh-Pentax UK but to be honest I can't really be bothered, my KP was beyond repair, so they are supplying a brand new replacement, hopefully not one of the early serial numbers. I will ring the original dealer tomorrow and express my displeasure, the repair centre was not particularly bothered whilst the dealer has been much more supportive. On the plus side I get a new camera, without a 2.6K shutter count, another new OEM battery (I've kept the original one because I was not allowed to post it), no stress and no more time wasted writing emails and making phone calls. It is not the result I wanted but at least I will get a KP back next week.

So to recap:

DON'T BELIEVE THE MANUFACTURER'S WEATHER RESISTANCE CLAIMS FOR THE PENTAX KP!!

Last edited by Nickrs; 03-27-2018 at 01:30 PM.
03-27-2018, 01:24 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glad you got some kind of resolution. Not entirely satisfactory, but sometimes you just have to move forward.

Maybe it was an isolated early build issue or maybe it was just plain old bad luck. Stuff happens.

We should be careful about generalizing in these situations given this is the only known weather sealing failure of a KP that we know about.

I would not hesitate to take mine out in inclement conditions. I believe the the build quality is as good as my K-5iis. But there is always calculated risk when we do this.
03-27-2018, 01:50 PM   #37

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
Glad you got some kind of resolution. Not entirely satisfactory, but sometimes you just have to move forward.

Maybe it was an isolated early build issue or maybe it was just plain old bad luck. Stuff happens.

We should be careful about generalizing in these situations given this is the only known weather sealing failure of a KP that we know about.

I would not hesitate to take mine out in inclement conditions. I believe the the build quality is as good as my K-5iis. But there is always calculated risk when we do this.
You are quite right of course, one leaky KP does not mean all KPs leak.

The photographs sent to me by the repairers seem to suggest that the ingress point for the water was the top plate, this would make sense as the only parts of my camera that were exposed to snow were the top plate and the top of the lens barrel. I attach a view of the top plate of a KP in all its knobby glory, each of those knobs must require a seal and I wonder if one of those seals failed?

Attached Images

03-28-2018, 01:25 AM   #38
Pentaxian

tell me,

is this letters on function and mode round buttons just printed, or they have some shape, or are they engrave ?
03-28-2018, 05:22 AM   #39

Original Poster
tell me,

is this letters on function and mode round buttons just printed, or they have some shape, or are they engrave ?
I'll tell you when I get my replacement KP.
04-09-2018, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #40

Original Poster
tell me,

My new KP has arrived and they are engraved.
04-09-2018, 04:00 PM - 2 Likes   #41

Original Poster
I still think it shouldn't have leaked, grrrr!!

I received my replacement KP (serial number 7350110) today!

I'm delighted to have a KP again but I must admit I've enjoyed using my old K3 for the last couple of weeks. I suspect I will be apprehensive about using my KP in snow or rain from now on, my old K3 will be my foul weather friend.

Attached is a photo of my new KP straight out of the box (taken with my K3) alongside the first image taken with my new KP (DA f1.8 50mm) this evening.

The young lady with the big nose is called Agnes.

Nick
Attached Images

04-09-2018, 06:17 PM - 1 Like   #42
Veteran Member

You need to keep a hotshoe cover in place when there is not an external flash mounted. There is the possibility of water ingress through the top. I mention this because the picture of your KP from the top is missing that piece.
04-09-2018, 08:35 PM   #43
Pentaxian

I really dig the black version of the KP as it is somewhat safe in the streets, but man, the silver copy is an on-looker.
04-09-2018, 10:30 PM   #44
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
You need to keep a hotshoe cover in place when there is not an external flash mounted.
The hotshoe cover is not part of the moisture/dust seals. This is obvious on close examination of the cover and when sliding it into place on the camera. The main benefit of having the cover on is that it helps provide physical protection for the shoe and can assist in keeping the area clean of gross filth.

Steve
04-10-2018, 12:43 AM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nickrs Quote
My new KP has arrived and they are engraved.

THANK YOU NICK !

i HOPE you will be satisfied with new KP
Closed Thread