Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2018, 03:16 AM   #46

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The hotshoe cover is not part of the moisture/dust seals. This is obvious on close examination of the cover and when sliding it into place on the camera. The main benefit of having the cover on is that it helps provide physical protection for the shoe and can assist in keeping the area clean of gross filth.

Steve
I always keep a hot shoe cover in place, indeed I rarely use the hot shoe except for my GPS module.

04-10-2018, 01:05 PM   #47
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nickrs Quote
I always keep a hot shoe cover in place, indeed I rarely use the hot shoe except for my GPS module.
I too always keep it in place, just not with the expectation that it will keep water out.

Steve

(...have actually considered getting a few of these covers for my film cameras, just to keep things tidy...)
04-10-2018, 03:25 PM   #48

Original Poster
I use these rubber spirit level hot shoe covers, cheap as chips on ebay, here's one on my trusty K3.
Attached Images

04-15-2018, 06:49 AM   #49
Veteran Member

That is salt water/mineral water corrosion damage seen on those pictures. I have had it happen two times and both times the damage was too bad for a reasonable repair operation. First time I fell into river with D800E and last year I slipped into the sea with K-1. Nikon actually worked for few days after 2 days of dry-up period but then died for good.

04-15-2018, 01:03 PM - 1 Like   #50
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, that's salt water, it was obvious to the repairer this wasn't snow.

There is no DSLR or MILC that is waterproof AFAIK, they're just WR.
04-15-2018, 05:32 PM - 1 Like   #51
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yep, that's salt water, it was obvious to the repairer this wasn't snow.
That was my impression as well, though the OP was quite firm that exposure to other than precipitation had not happened. It is a challenge to remember to always check railings, walls, and other flat surfaces at the ocean before setting the camera down. Twenty minutes in a puddle may as well be five minutes in the drink.

Steve
04-15-2018, 06:32 PM   #52
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That was my impression as well, though the OP was quite firm that exposure to other than precipitation had not happened.
That was the claim, yes, the photos say otherwise.

04-19-2018, 05:18 PM - 3 Likes   #53

Original Poster
Well the truth is that my KP had never been near salt water and nothing had been spilled over it (as far as I know). I mulled over the evidence for some time racking my brain trying to establish how the hell this mess happened. Part of the reason for me accepting the Ricoh offer of a 50% discount was that I couldn't easily prove there was no user miss-operation involved. Without doing some kind of analysis on the precipitate and having a closer look at the dismantled camera I can't add any more evidence to my version of events. The camera was used in falling snow > the snow had settled lightly on the top of the camera during use> there was a delay of around an hour before the exterior of the camera was dried thoroughly with paper towel > the camera was then left for around ten days before it was used again and the fault discovered > the camera may have been accidentally left switched on with the battery in (not good I know). In a previous life I was a telecommunications engineer and I often saw similar looking damage to circuit boards in PBXs and other telecoms kit that have got damp in use or during careless storage, the usual cause of the mess was assumed to be corrosion or the disintegration of board components due to the dampness, even perhaps a form of electrolysis. Water does not need help from salts or minerals to wreak havoc on electronics, plain old H2O can do the job all on it's own (see: Corrosion in Printed Circuit Boards ? Tempo Automation ? Medium). Whatever happened, the camera leaked!!!

Last edited by Nickrs; 04-19-2018 at 05:19 PM. Reason: punctuation corrected
04-19-2018, 05:54 PM - 4 Likes   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nickrs Quote
to be corrosion or the disintegration of board components due to the dampness, even perhaps a form of electrolysis
Exactly. No need for salt water for the PCB to look like that.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 04-19-2018 at 06:01 PM.
04-21-2018, 04:02 PM - 7 Likes   #55

Original Poster
I'm so pleased to have a KP again so I can play amongst the stars.
Attached Images

05-04-2018, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got the first KP in Denmark. Iit came from Sweden. Sometimes it worked very well, but very often the af was unstable. I spent hours and hours with fine tuning, no positive result. Together with this the battery life was 100 poses.only,
The dealer sent to the danish agent that sent it to Holland, after 7 weeks I got a new camera. Are there perhaps quality issyues with the first samples? I have had some blurru pictures, but tody I am convinced that it was atmosphaeric haze, In Denmark their is pretty often very humid
05-04-2018, 04:33 PM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by niels hansen Quote
Are there perhaps quality issyues with the first samples?
Not aware of any so far.
05-05-2018, 07:06 AM - 2 Likes   #58

Original Poster
100 shots from a battery sounds very poor indeed, I'm sure I get a lot more than that but I've not been counting. Are there quality issues with the early serial numbers? I think this is something that might require investigation, very subjectively I would say that my replacement KP creates better images than my first KP, the output from my first KP did not seem any better than my K3 but my later KP photos seem clearer, sharper and the colours are brighter. Here's a crop from a photograph I took in our garden this morning.
Attached Images

05-11-2018, 04:48 AM   #59
Veteran Member

D-LI 109, default KP Battery, is not very effective when temps drop low. 100 sounds about right in +5-10C temperature. It becomes single digit number quite fast when going subzero. Get the battery grip for proper D-LI90 battery.
05-11-2018, 08:38 AM - 2 Likes   #60
Veteran Member

I am far less likely to ever buy another Pentax camera after reading this thread. What you went through is terrible. Companies that won't honor their warranties BASED ON THEIR OWN MARKETING should be panned. Fortunately, nowadays, most things bought with a credit card have extra protection. A *weatherproof* camera that fails in the light rain or snow... that's got to be a first. And here I have pics of my K-70 all covered in snow, thinking, wow, it's great to have purchased a weatherproof camera. Silly me.

Let this be a lesson to everyone.You might *feel* that Pentax is a kinder, softer, gentler camera company, more friendly that the big dogs out there. But they aren't. They're just as greedy as the next.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 05-20-2018 at 03:47 PM.
Closed Thread