Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-14-2018, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I agree with the careful tripod-test chart method here. But I'll also suggest you don't need to be so formal.

You can simply sit down outside on a sunny day (giving you very high shutter speed) and photograph a scene, with the lens wide open, that includes a detailed object (could be a traffic sign or license plate) at the distance you're most interested in optimizing for. Zoom in to 100 percent on the LCD to see how it looks. Then try an adjustment of +5 and -5 and photograph the scene again. That will give you a notion of which way to go. Then gradually close in on the setting that gives you the sharpest result.

After the first or second iteration changing the settings becomes second nature, so it goes quite quickly. Further, you can't harm anything. If you screw it all up, just put everything back to zero and try a different method.

Works very well for me.

03-14-2018, 05:08 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bkpix Quote
... at the distance you're most interested in optimizing for...
A good point worth highlighting. Some zoom lenses require different adjustment at different focal lengths and for different subject distances. Most lenses work decently all around if you adjust for the middle of the zoom range and at a normal subject distance, but some need extra attention. I have one lens in particular that requires extra adjustment when the subject is within three feet, so I just dial it in when I know I need it.