Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
04-08-2018, 02:22 PM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thee's nothing wrong at all in using Tav or Av especially when dealing with landscape, architecture, or portraits. These cases usually involve a studied composition, and except for candid portraiture, do not involve needing responsiveness upon the very moment for an instant capture, under varying lighting conditions.

My first Pentax camera was the ME super, which had both M mode and what we now call Av, which was the only automation back then. Of course, with film you can't keep changing the ISO. Then came the Super Program model having full automation. As time went on, better programs were designed having more sophistication and accuracy. Then came the Pentax Hyper System for greatest flexibility and control for instantly adapting to changing situations.

Although I sometimes face a situation where Tav is most beneficial, for the most part I prefer to control ISO. I rarely set auto-ISO to on. When I sometimes shoot fast action like indoor roller hockey, I generally require at least 1/500 sec. shutter speed. In order to achieve that, I set my ISO to 2000 or 2500 depending, keeping it as low as I can to get the shutter speed I need in a certain venue. I haven't used the KP yet for this, but I expect I'll increase as high as 3200 when I do. Then I use the M mode, because one end of the usual venue has a wall of large windows, so if I used any auto mode, the backlighting at that end would throw off the exposure, when the action goes over in that direction. After dark, or at a different venue, I'll either stay with M mode or switch to Tv. I use a zoom lens of f/2.8 aperture.

But everyone has their own way of doing things.

Last edited by mikesbike; 04-08-2018 at 02:28 PM.
04-08-2018, 11:47 PM   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
mikes bike
after your last statement i think we are very close in our practical performence. I understand your cocern about big windows, bur I have been positive surpriced how the centerweighed auto exposure works under extreme conditions, spotmetering for exposure is exact but difficult to practise. I still use my 50 year old spotmatic for black and white.
Till now my results with b/w in digital are not remarkable, improvement is nessecary, especially with low contrast motives with subtle tones
regards

Last edited by niels hansen; 04-10-2018 at 07:04 AM. Reason: bad information abut autoexp