Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2018, 11:21 AM   #1

KP settings

Have a KP and the 55-300 plm on the way. $230.00 off the lens if you order the camera and lens together. ( Henry's in Toronto Canada ) The plm will probably never come off, and will be used for nature photography. Kayak, mountain bike etc. Shots mostly Jpeg. I have read at time to elect for SHARP image for setup. Are there any other setting that should be instated for this type of photography. I also have the K5 with 55-300 DA ( this is replaced by the KP, but will be kept )

Thanks, in advance for any information.

John A.

03-28-2018, 03:38 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

I also am keeping my K-5 IIs, although I now use my KP most of the time. The K-5, with its deeper buffer, is still more capable for extensive action-shooting when often using burst mode instead of single shot mode. Otherwise it is the KP for me.

As to settings, "SHARP image for setup"- perhaps you are referring to implementing Fine Sharpening in the Custom Image menus, using your rear thumb dial, especially in the "Bright" (default) and "Natural" categories. Then put the camera back on "Bright" for most of your shooting needs, scenics, etc. I also recommend doing this with your K-5. On the K-5, Custom Image menus can be accessed directly via a dedicated button on the back to the right of the "ok" button. I also recommend increasing the sharpness level on the K-5 up to +2. Its 16mp sensor will handle that well. If you see that this is introducing any artifacts, just set it back on +1, but I have not found a problem with mine. In the"Bright" category, default is +1.

But on the KP with its incredible 24mp sensor, leave the "Bright" sharpening level at default +1 and just implement the Fine Sharpening with your thumb dial. You can increase sharpening level to +1 also in "Natural" too if you wish, as well as the Fine Sharpening.

Your KP should be ideal for your activities! As to other adjustments, with the KP there are many control and imaging options, which as time will tell, you can set according to your needs. I like to use a belt/shoulder camera holster case for carrying with my camera/lens setup.

I am wondering which lenses you've been using with your K-5? It would seem that your activities might call for something more than just a tele zoom lens!

Last edited by mikesbike; 03-28-2018 at 03:49 PM.
03-29-2018, 09:32 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I also am keeping my K-5 IIs, although I now use my KP most of the time. The K-5, with its deeper buffer, is still more capable for extensive action-shooting when often using burst mode instead of single shot mode. Otherwise it is the KP for me.

As to settings, "SHARP image for setup"- perhaps you are referring to implementing Fine Sharpening in the Custom Image menus, using your rear thumb dial, especially in the "Bright" (default) and "Natural" categories. Then put the camera back on "Bright" for most of your shooting needs, scenics, etc. I also recommend doing this with your K-5. On the K-5, Custom Image menus can be accessed directly via a dedicated button on the back to the right of the "ok" button. I also recommend increasing the sharpness level on the K-5 up to +2. Its 16mp sensor will handle that well. If you see that this is introducing any artifacts, just set it back on +1, but I have not found a problem with mine. In the"Bright" category, default is +1.

But on the KP with its incredible 24mp sensor, leave the "Bright" sharpening level at default +1 and just implement the Fine Sharpening with your thumb dial. You can increase sharpening level to +1 also in "Natural" too if you wish, as well as the Fine Sharpening.

Your KP should be ideal for your activities! As to other adjustments, with the KP there are many control and imaging options, which as time will tell, you can set according to your needs. I like to use a belt/shoulder camera holster case for carrying with my camera/lens setup.

I am wondering which lenses you've been using with your K-5? It would seem that your activities might call for something more than just a tele zoom lens!
Thank you so much for the email. Camera arrived today, the 55-300 plm, perhaps next week. I think they will be a great combo. I also have a Pentax KR, an 18-55, and 35mm macro. and for some underwater shots & rainy, choppy days have Panasonic TS3.I can see a big learning curve with the KR, and will be out with it this afternoon.

I really like the small size as it will fit nicely in a pack I have on the mountain bike and a small cubby hole in the kayak.
Thanks again !!
John
03-29-2018, 11:43 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

On the KP, which does not have the direct access button, your settings screen for various sections is via the "info" and "ok" buttons, with then the surrounding buttons being for changes. The default for the Custom Image section might already be on "Bright" but could be on "auto select" which you don't want. That should only be for green mode users who don't know anything about DSLR use. The camera may switch itself to that category when the mode dial is put on the green mode. Make your adjustments with the mode set on "P". With the "P" mode, which is fully automatic for both aperture and shutter speed, you can intercede at any time and change either to your liking just by using your thumb and finger e-dials. Full Program mode is restored by a touch of the green button. (the unique Pentax Hyper System) Just like your K-5. Then of course you have all the other modes, including the unique Pentax TAV mode.

The DA 18-55 WR (I hope) is a nice little kit lens. I gave mine to friends with my old K-r, since I now have the DA 18-135mm DC WR. I love that lens. It is so well-built and has such a nice versatile zoom range, and even with that it is also so compact! Very nice on the KP. A big advancement is its AF, which is very fast, quiet, and sure. I also have the older 55-300mm WR lens, which I like very much. I consider myself part-Canadian, BTW- because I was born and raised in Detroit right across from Windsor, Ontario. Happy biking and kayaking!

Mike

Last edited by mikesbike; 03-29-2018 at 11:51 AM.
03-29-2018, 12:28 PM   #5

Original Poster
On the KP, which does not have the direct access button, your settings screen for various sections is via the "info" and "ok" buttons, with then the surrounding buttons being for changes. The default for the Custom Image section might already be on "Bright" but could be on "auto select" which you don't want. That should only be for green mode users who don't know anything about DSLR use. The camera may switch itself to that category when the mode dial is put on the green mode. Make your adjustments with the mode set on "P". With the "P" mode, which is fully automatic for both aperture and shutter speed, you can intercede at any time and change either to your liking just by using your thumb and finger e-dials. Full Program mode is restored by a touch of the green button. (the unique Pentax Hyper System) Just like your K-5. Then of course you have all the other modes, including the unique Pentax TAV mode.

The DA 18-55 WR (I hope) is a nice little kit lens. I gave mine to friends with my old K-r, since I now have the DA 18-135mm DC WR. I love that lens. It is so well-built and has such a nice versatile zoom range, and even with that it is also so compact! Very nice on the KP. A big advancement is its AF, which is very fast, quiet, and sure. I also have the older 55-300mm WR lens, which I like very much. I consider myself part-Canadian, BTW- because I was born and raised in Detroit right across from Windsor, Ontario. Happy biking and kayaking!

Mike
Thanks again Mike
. My 18-55 is not WR, will probably sell it with the KR. Do you have or ever considered the Battery grip for your KP. Guess it adds allot to the size, which takes away from one of the main advantages. I find the grip will take a bit of getting use to coming from the K5. I live on the Ottawa River shore, and we are just getting our first flock of geese and other waterfowl migrating. So it has been in action already, just on the default settings. Will be spending the rest of the afternoon in front of a fire and read the manual. Still all iced and snowed in, but saw the first robin today.
Regards
John
03-29-2018, 08:55 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

I do have the battery grip. Mainly for any extensive vertical shooting, and/or larger, heavier lens use, and/or a lot of shooting without needing a battery change, all of which is really not often. And you are right about the compactness. The advantage being it's convertibility and expandability to doing what larger bodies can do better in their handling. Not every compact body has such an advantage available. That said, I find I can get by fine using virtually any of the 3 supplied grips, because with a heftier lens I tend to hold and support around the lens itself anyway with my left hand while shooting. It is while holding the camera but not shooting where the balance and convenience is different for me with different grips and lenses. If I shoot with my FA* 300mm f/4.5, or my DA*200mm f/2.8, for example, the balance is best for general handling with the battery grip with these beefier lenses, even with or because of the added grip weight in addition to more gripping area. I prefer the larger supplied grip when I'll be using my DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 (mainly when I need the f/2.8), and coupled with a fast shorter lens. Otherwise I like the 2 smaller grips when using more compact lenses. But everyone is different in their preference.

If you do as I suggested regarding the Fine Sharpening, it will result in better fine detail in your shots. I have been using this feature in various Pentax DSLR models for a number of years. I have seen at least 2 reviews of the KP making the same recommendation.

It is advisable to get at least one spare battery to have along with the KP. They are very small, so carrying one is not inconvenient. When going out in watery circumstances, it is a good idea to have that spare in a protective case or container. But I suspect since you do kayaking you've got all that figure out!

The DA 18-135mm DC WR is great in combo with a 55-300mm WR on the K-5 or KP for an anti-drippy, anti-splash ensemble. Both are relatively compact. You would also not need to change lenses as often, or could have both your cameras along with each lens mounted. Something to think about. Your DA 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited is a real gem! The new 55-300mm WR PLM lens should serve very well for those waterfowl shots! How nice that you live there along the Ottawa River! I grew up about 3 blocks from the Detroit River. Now I live near Lake St. Clair. The geese are already plentiful around the lake areas, robins showed up about 2 weeks ago, and it rained all day here, washing away the last of the remaining snow (for now at least). Maybe it is over for this season!

Mike

Last edited by mikesbike; 03-29-2018 at 09:09 PM.
03-30-2018, 08:39 AM   #7

Original Poster
I do have the battery grip. Mainly for any extensive vertical shooting, and/or larger, heavier lens use, and/or a lot of shooting without needing a battery change, all of which is really not often. And you are right about the compactness. The advantage being it's convertibility and expandability to doing what larger bodies can do better in their handling. Not every compact body has such an advantage available. That said, I find I can get by fine using virtually any of the 3 supplied grips, because with a heftier lens I tend to hold and support around the lens itself anyway with my left hand while shooting. It is while holding the camera but not shooting where the balance and convenience is different for me with different grips and lenses. If I shoot with my FA* 300mm f/4.5, or my DA*200mm f/2.8, for example, the balance is best for general handling with the battery grip with these beefier lenses, even with or because of the added grip weight in addition to more gripping area. I prefer the larger supplied grip when I'll be using my DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 (mainly when I need the f/2.8), and coupled with a fast shorter lens. Otherwise I like the 2 smaller grips when using more compact lenses. But everyone is different in their preference.

If you do as I suggested regarding the Fine Sharpening, it will result in better fine detail in your shots. I have been using this feature in various Pentax DSLR models for a number of years. I have seen at least 2 reviews of the KP making the same recommendation.

It is advisable to get at least one spare battery to have along with the KP. They are very small, so carrying one is not inconvenient. When going out in watery circumstances, it is a good idea to have that spare in a protective case or container. But I suspect since you do kayaking you've got all that figure out!

The DA 18-135mm DC WR is great in combo with a 55-300mm WR on the K-5 or KP for an anti-drippy, anti-splash ensemble. Both are relatively compact. You would also not need to change lenses as often, or could have both your cameras along with each lens mounted. Something to think about. Your DA 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited is a real gem! The new 55-300mm WR PLM lens should serve very well for those waterfowl shots! How nice that you live there along the Ottawa River! I grew up about 3 blocks from the Detroit River. Now I live near Lake St. Clair. The geese are already plentiful around the lake areas, robins showed up about 2 weeks ago, and it rained all day here, washing away the last of the remaining snow (for now at least). Maybe it is over for this season!

Mike
Mike
Once again thanks for the info. Can tell there is a learning curve on this one.Wish lived closer. Not many avid nature photographers around here. Let alone folks that own a Pentax ! Am pleased with results so far, but will take lots more pics to say it performs better that the K5. Going out again today with it, try out the setting you suggested.

I may order the battery grip, but it is fairly expensive if I don't use it much. Will just take a spare battery with me, they are small.

Regards
John
03-30-2018, 09:35 AM   #8
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by John A. Quote
Mike
Once again thanks for the info. Can tell there is a learning curve on this one.Wish lived closer. Not many avid nature photographers around here. Let alone folks that own a Pentax ! Am pleased with results so far, but will take lots more pics to say it performs better that the K5. Going out again today with it, try out the setting you suggested.

I may order the battery grip, but it is fairly expensive if I don't use it much. Will just take a spare battery with me, they are small.

Regards
John
I have a tendency to tilt my cameras to one side or another when shooting and I have found that using the battery grip has actually reduced that tendency by lowering the center of gravity on the camera. Strange but in my case, true.

03-30-2018, 12:13 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I have a tendency to tilt my cameras to one side or another when shooting and I have found that using the battery grip has actually reduced that tendency by lowering the center of gravity on the camera. Strange but in my case, true.
Thanks
Just thought of another point in favour of the grip...I s that it takes the larger L-190 battery, which is a better performer in the cold winter. I see you live in a colder part of the U.S....Like wise you too Mike. Do you agree ?

Thanks
John
03-30-2018, 04:48 PM - 1 Like   #10
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do but used the same smaller battery in my K-50 and never had issues with power even while doing astrophotography on very cold nights here in Maine. I did want it for portraits and as a back up power wise, and it takes either battery in the grip since there is an adapter for the L-109 battery included in the grip.