Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2018, 12:59 PM - 1 Like   #1

Mattias Burling on the KP

Fantastic review by Mattias Burling on the KP.

After the Q, this. Mattias picks out exactly those features of the KP that make it compelling to a particular set of users, particularly those who frequent his site. Looking for value, accustomed to mirrorless and favoring smaller bodies, willing to use legacy glass. Even beyond that price range he argues its is just about the best APS-C dlsr body out there. The comparisons he makes with mirrorless are particularly valuable. He reviews without regard for the latest and the greatest, and favors small cameras, but he also knows when a dslr is needed. Instead of going with the mirrorless-is-the-future-and-nothing-else-herd, he shows what the KP can do for people who want a powerful yet compact package.
Even as K5iis user, he makes me want to get a KP.

Last edited by m0n0; 03-28-2018 at 01:05 PM. Reason: typo and clarity
03-28-2018, 01:19 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some people have always liked the concept of a small DSLR as a mirrorless alternative - maybe more so now because mirrorless cameras keep getting bigger?... When the K-S1 came out I thought it was the perfect example of that, and eventually I got one. But it was misunderstood... the K-P seems to have better acceptance. Which is good.
03-28-2018, 02:56 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Just saw the same video on the DSLR forum. Very good and very true review!
03-28-2018, 03:35 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A very warm review for the KP. Pair it with the coming DA*11-18mm f2.8, and you will have a very nice ultra wide to wide travel package.
I use the KP on the other end of the spectrum (super tele), and would like to see an electronic first curtain implementation on the KP, instead of the less useful electronic shutter. The electronic shutter really only becomes useful with much faster sensor readout.
I wonder if EFCS can be implemented through a firmware uggrade? No new hardware is needed.
The mechanical shutter on the KP induces some visible blur with the DA560 when comparing with the electronic shutter.

Chris

03-28-2018, 05:40 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a K-70 and I'm trying to figure out where the KP sits in the lineup. I love my K-70 for landscape, but I'm a bit frustrated with the AF for wildlife. I was tracking a mink on the weekend (granted, a difficult subject), and the focus was always just behind where it needed to be. I did manage to keep the mink in the center, but by the time it had caught focus and fired the shutter, the mink had moved on. Would the KP be an improvement? Or is that just not a Pentax forte?
03-29-2018, 02:53 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by whafrog Quote
I have a K-70 and I'm trying to figure out where the KP sits in the lineup. I love my K-70 for landscape, but I'm a bit frustrated with the AF for wildlife. I was tracking a mink on the weekend (granted, a difficult subject), and the focus was always just behind where it needed to be. I did manage to keep the mink in the center, but by the time it had caught focus and fired the shutter, the mink had moved on. Would the KP be an improvement? Or is that just not a Pentax forte?
I cannot help you there, I only use the KP in S-AF with the DA560, which is not a capable lens when it comes to tracking anyway.
I will be switching to Canon myself after the summer, for BIF tracking with a 400mm lens.
It all depends on what you want from your camera regarding AF, Pentax is slowly improving, but they are very far behind regarding AF, mainly with fast focus acquisition and rescanning, which are important for good C-AF tracking, but which need dedicated processing power and programming. I read that the K1mkII has undergone improvements in C-AF.

Last edited by Chris Mak; 03-29-2018 at 02:59 AM.
03-29-2018, 03:04 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Already posted elsewhere.
03-29-2018, 08:41 AM   #8
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

The KP has more autofocus points than the K-70 so the answer is, maybe. I would recommend using rear button focus for critters and with the KP, the 4-way buttons move the focus points very quickly when set up in the menus.
I am not experienced enough to say either way but I suspect you would be likely to have better results with a KP, but I wouldn't hop out and buy one just for that difference.

03-29-2018, 08:56 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

. I did manage to keep the mink in the center,
Well, that's not how any PDAF system works, Whafrog - you put a focus point on a line, not some mass of colour.

That might mean in your scene the edge of its body against the snow or whatever.