Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-01-2018, 07:48 AM   #16

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by kindion Quote
Hey Everyone, I picked up a new Pentax KP Black Body last night for $904.16 CAN ($699.37 US) from Amazon Canada. It arrived today and I’m just setting it up now! Exciting

https://www.amazon.ca/Pentax-Ultra-Compact-Weatherproof-Black-Body/dp/B01N5R...ords=pentax+kp
Congrats on the new camera. I just got one also, to supplement an aging K5. The 55-300 plm is on back order.

Happy Easter & Happy shooting

John

04-03-2018, 07:47 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by John A. Quote
Congrats on the new camera. I just got one also, to supplement an aging K5. The 55-300 plm is on back order.

Happy Easter & Happy shooting

John
Thank u! I’m really enjoying it
04-04-2018, 12:26 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
They are a step up from previous models. ISO 3200 is extremely usable if you don't feel like using a flash indoors with f4 and slower lenses. The sensor is very low noise even at higher ISO. And the shake reduction improvement means you can go longer exposure with a lower ISO. Yes it is a step up low light wise!
Image is SOOC, 1/1250s f1.8 FA 77 Limited, at 3200 ISO. Any graininess is visible in the out of focus areas. This is not edited at all.
I've taken a comparable image (although my kettle is not as nice), but haven't been able to get to computer before falling asleep to post for comparison. Maybe tonight...

---------- Post added 04-04-18 at 12:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You weren't around 6 years ago when the K-5 was released. At the time it was one of the best low light cameras out there, it still has better dynamic range than most Canons, that sensor was one of the first to break 13 EV dynamic range.The K-3 was a half stop worse. So you tell me, what APS_c images are better. It was ranked slightly higher than even the Nikon using the same sensor at the time leading to this ongoing bogus nonsense about baked images that people still repeat with every new Pentax release.

It still stacks up nicely compared to my K-1, one stop lower DR, which is what you'd expect of the different sensor sizes. So I have to ask.. "not that impressive" compared to what?
I thought K-5 was released earlier, in 2010... Regarding comparisons, I will admit that until K-1 came out I never really paid attention to camera specs. I got my first camera as a gift from my grandfather. I got my second camera (MZ-7) because a salesperson suggested it. I bought my third camera because it was a Pentax, it was digital (K 100D), and Henry's had it used. I bought my fourth camera because it was newer than the K 100D, and because I found it on kijiji. I can't claim that I did a thorough study and concluded that the k-5 was good (or not) in low light high ISO settings. I never really paid attention to camera specs too much as I never felt it was a limiting factor to my photography. But now that I started taking some night photos and noticed a lot of noise, I began to wonder if there is a better tool than the k-5. Similarly, as you know winters are long here and I take some indoors photos during long winter evenings. I find that in those settings given the lighting I have and using the same amount of processing that I usually use, my kids come out looking like wax dolls from the Tate museum. Since I don't like the look of those photos, I started looking around at other options. One of them is to get a flash, which I heard is a whole new art, or maybe I am not processing low light, high ISO images correctly. And I was really interested in the KP given how well it performs in low light. I was surprised that K-5 stacks up nicely when compared to your K-1...

Maybe I just need to clean the sensor?

I will post a couple of photos tonight, if I don't fall asleep before. Curious what you guys would make of them.
04-04-2018, 06:50 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Here are a couple of unprocessed photos at 6400 and 3200 ISO

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo