Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2018, 10:33 AM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The KP, like the K-3 II, does show some algorithmic improvements when shooting moving subjects. In other scenarios isn't essentially the same as the K-3.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-03-2018, 10:36 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Flux rate from KP is 2.8, while on K3 is 5.6, or ?
04-03-2018, 10:46 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
yeah, I know that trick, but when I do portarits, - I want bokeh
...and the eye glint in focus...without having to do anything...

Steve
04-03-2018, 10:48 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...and the eye glint in focus...without having to do anything...

Steve

yes, exactly that

04-03-2018, 10:50 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Flux rate is a strange term.

As with all SAFOX 11 bodies, both models have three detectors with f/2.8 focus sensitivity in a vertical row at center with the rest being f/5.6.

Steve
04-03-2018, 10:53 AM   #21
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The sensitivity of the hardware itself is the same for both the KP and K-3.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-03-2018, 10:59 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The sensitivity of the hardware itself is the same for both the KP and K-3.

so K-3 have also 2.8 flux rate ?

04-03-2018, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #23
Administrator
Site Webmaster

so K-3 have also 2.8 flux rate ?
Yup.

Adam

04-03-2018, 11:13 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yup.

and Pentax said it's a new thing in KP
04-03-2018, 11:17 AM - 5 Likes   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Let's say - the time changed Norm, the time changed
What has not changed is the need to know the limitations of gear and apply that to one's technique. There are cameras on the market that will nail focus on an eye* every time, but not using PDAF and even the best PDAF systems will not nail focus on anything consistently at maximum apertures much wider than f/2.8.

A few comments from another "old guy"
  • If one cannot use manual focus as a back-up, even for action, there will be a ton of shots simply missed **
  • Using manual focus is an essential skill, sort of like figuring exposure, calculating flash, and reading instructions
  • Deep manual focus experience helps one understand what may be expected of auto-focus
  • If one depends on the camera to find and attain the intended plane of focus, one will seldom be happy with the camera. The camera does not read minds.
  • An awful lot of serious portrait work is done with AF turned OFF
  • An awful lot of seriously good portraits with incredible bokeh are done at apertures capable of returning both ears and eyebrows in acceptable focus (repeat five times...there will be a test)
  • An awful lot of aspiring pros are lazy and seriously deficient in basic skills and knowledge
  • Pixel peeping leads to overspending on gear
Of course, I am a little biased, having done most of my photography since the late 1960s without AF or even programmed auto-exposure.

Steve

* Pity if it's the wrong eye or the wrong face

** I have shot bicycle racing with the K10D in low light long after the Canon and Nikon guys packed it up for the day. I even got a few keepers.

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-03-2018 at 11:22 AM.
04-03-2018, 11:20 AM - 1 Like   #26
Administrator
Site Webmaster

and Pentax said it's a new thing in KP
They pretty much always say the AF is new in every press release

But the specs and reviews don't lie.

Adam

04-03-2018, 12:44 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
IBIS is really nice to have for primes and legacy glass. Lens optical stab helps a lot for AF acquisition and tracking. The best is to have both IBIS and optical stab., but that combination isn't widely available.
04-03-2018, 12:53 PM   #28
Pentaxian

They pretty much always say the AF is new in every press release

But the specs and reviews don't lie.
And I'm sure their engineers can quote measurements to demonstrate it is, I think you have to jump a models or two to see it. If you use a K20D then a K-3 you will be mightily impressed at the progress. (And then sell your K20D because you don't like it any more.

So in the next release of an APS-c flagship, K-1, K-3ii, the next model, maybe you'll be able to pick that up and say "ya this K-3 really sucks" Let's discuss this in 2023, by then the slow incremental change might be noticeable.
04-03-2018, 01:58 PM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Lens optical stab helps a lot for AF acquisition and tracking.
Thanks for noting this obvious advantage to OIS when shooting hand-held.

Steve
04-03-2018, 02:31 PM - 2 Likes   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
So, the bootom line, is I'm very well awared of limitations in AF , that can be tricky in shooting.

My K3 behaviour in AF-S is very incosistent... from 10 shoots, spotted on the same AF target place - several of them would consider well focused, after that, several would be slightly out of focus - and maybe one or two in best way would have maximum sharpness...

Of course I'm talking about shooting and focusing throught the mirror - or shooting with OVF ...

Results in AF vary to much for my personal taste, and that's not a so good thing, when you have exscesive shooting of model, or more of them, and later in desktop you find out - that most of the pics, are - well - slightly out of maximum sharpness, while some of them reach that level.

---

I read in Kp official Ricoh page, that KP has a new SAFOX 11 AF module, with lower apperture pass at 2.8, vs older version which is only 5.6....

Pentax statements here are :

" SAFOX 11 New-generation AF sensor module with a high-speed algorithm

The PENTAX KP incorporates the high-performance SAFOX 11 AF sensor module in its autofocus system. This dependable module features a diffraction lens to effectively compensate for chromatic aberration and assure pinpoint focus on the subject, even under adverse conditions such as when shooting against backlight or photographing high-contrast subjects.
High-speed AF algorithm

This latest autofocus algorithm assures a faster autofocusing speed than the one used in the conventional SAFOX 11 module. It lets you react more swiftly and effortlessly to unexpected shutter chances."

Features4 | PENTAX KP | RICOH IMAGING

----

i WOULD LOVE TO SEE SOME REVIEWS FROM KP USERS HERE..., specially from ones who are still engage with older K 3 or different bodies

--
Thank yOU ALL
I share your experience with the K3 auto focus behavior. I no longer have the K3, but used it for four years with the DA560, and worst was initial focus acquisition. When there was little time for a single shot, I would aim, focus and shoot, and often the focus would be just off, or sometimes even far off. When abundant time to pamper the shutter button, I could also get a reasonable amount in focus, but many shots would often still have an amount of blur. I am not alltogether sure though, if it was only the AF inaccuracy leading to slightly blurred shots. It may also be sometimes due to SR or shutter shock, even if that should not be the case with shutter times like 1/500s.

Now with the KP, everything feels much more secure, less buggy, more confident. That also goes for AF. Without doubt, focus is more responsive and faster with the DA560, but also hunts less around the subject, something which my K3 did a lot, many small corrections, and although too early to give any solid opinion, I already trust my KP much more than I ever did the K3.
Energy supply seems much more stable: even on a nearly depleted battery, the KP still performs exactly as with a full battery. My K3 would start acting up on a battery less than half charged: fits of unresponsiveness out of the blue, irratic misfocussing. Not all the time, but it does indicate, that stability was not my K3's forte. The KP feels much more "high end" to me than my K3 ever did.
So to me, Ricoh/Pentax is on the right path with the KP. I hope they advance further.
Also, experimenting with the electronic shutter, that automatically disables SR, I find that many shots have less blurring. I hope Pentax will also get access for the next APS-C body to a sensor with faster readout time to make the electronic shutter more practical.

Chris