Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2018, 03:22 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
KP SAFOX AF MODULE vs previous models

So, the bootom line, is I'm very well awared of limitations in AF , that can be tricky in shooting.

My K3 behaviour in AF-S is very incosistent... from 10 shoots, spotted on the same AF target place - several of them would consider well focused, after that, several would be slightly out of focus - and maybe one or two in best way would have maximum sharpness...

Of course I'm talking about shooting and focusing throught the mirror - or shooting with OVF ...

Results in AF vary to much for my personal taste, and that's not a so good thing, when you have exscesive shooting of model, or more of them, and later in desktop you find out - that most of the pics, are - well - slightly out of maximum sharpness, while some of them reach that level.

---

I read in Kp official Ricoh page, that KP has a new SAFOX 11 AF module, with lower apperture pass at 2.8, vs older version which is only 5.6....

Pentax statements here are :

" SAFOX 11 New-generation AF sensor module with a high-speed algorithm

The PENTAX KP incorporates the high-performance SAFOX 11 AF sensor module in its autofocus system. This dependable module features a diffraction lens to effectively compensate for chromatic aberration and assure pinpoint focus on the subject, even under adverse conditions such as when shooting against backlight or photographing high-contrast subjects.
High-speed AF algorithm

This latest autofocus algorithm assures a faster autofocusing speed than the one used in the conventional SAFOX 11 module. It lets you react more swiftly and effortlessly to unexpected shutter chances."

Features4 | PENTAX KP | RICOH IMAGING

----

i WOULD LOVE TO SEE SOME REVIEWS FROM KP USERS HERE..., specially from ones who are still engage with older K 3 or different bodies

--
Thank yOU ALL

Last edited by panonski; 04-03-2018 at 06:46 AM.
04-03-2018, 07:34 AM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
I read in Kp official Ricoh page, that KP has a new SAFOX 11 AF module, with lower apperture pass at 2.8, vs older version which is only 5.6....
The K-3 and KP have the same AF system (SAFOX 11) with the same number and types of AF sensor points. The KP is supposed to have improved AF algorithms, but whether those improvements will translate into better performance for your demanding style of photography is hard to say. The KP review on this site does a direct comparison of the KP with the K-3 under controlled conditions:

Pentax KP Review - Focusing | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Those tests indicate a significant improvement for tracking and consistency over the K-3. One might also suggest that the conspicuous lack of complaints regarding AF performance on the KP might be an indication of user satisfaction. OTOH, Imaging Resource's field test report suggests little, if any, improvement over the K-3II with up-to-date firmware. Go figure.

Pentax KP Review

P.S. Poor AF consistency on a static high-contrast target may be the result of a lens problem* and/or a dirty AF sensor. My K-3 does pretty well under those conditions, though I sometimes wish I had something like the LensAlign with FocusTune to satisfy my curiosity regarding statistical analysis.

Steve

* PDAF is only as good as the lens in front of the sensor. A defect in centering and/or axial alignment may severely affect consistency.

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-03-2018 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Removed extra word
04-03-2018, 07:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't know, sometimes it's seem is quite sharp, sometimes don't...

I auto fine adjust all my lens, and I can see improvement , but sometimes is hard to nail ti... 24 mpix is quite big for even smallest errors in sharpness, I believe
04-03-2018, 08:47 AM   #4
Pentaxian

You must be shooting at wide apertures to be getting such results. I personally always widen my depth of field to the point where I get acceptable focus most of the time.

04-03-2018, 09:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You must be shooting at wide apertures to be getting such results. I personally always widen my depth of field to the point where I get acceptable focus most of the time.
yeah, I know that trick, but when I do portarits, - I want bokeh
04-03-2018, 09:04 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I used to do portraits MF, so that doesn't even make any sense to me. To me "portraits " are images taking in controlled circumstances with every aspect under control... subject movement, lighting, camera place meant etc. I would call images requiring fast AF candids. But I see where you are coming from.

There was a test in Pop Photo a while ago that rated the K-5 the highest in it's class at producing images with acceptable focus. If what you want is the famous "one eye in focus" shot, then you probably need an A9, with an eye focus setting.I generally do not discuss such cameras in the same sentence as I discuss Pentax. it's a totally different class of camera, for people willing to trade IQ or action shooting capability.

I hope you get one so you can do side by side tests and compare results with your target. The fact that you didn't like the Pentax results in no way implies that you'll find something else better. Although it it's like the case,

Last edited by normhead; 04-03-2018 at 09:15 AM.
04-03-2018, 09:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I used to do portraits MF, so that doesn't even make any sense to me.
good for you
04-03-2018, 09:16 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
good for you
There was no AF in those days, we had no choice... but we still produced professional quality work. It's not about being good, it's about WTF?.

Have many many , situations where I could do better with cameras with better AF... the question is not "can you pay more and do better?" The question is, "do you want to pay for that?" If the answer is yes, go for it, if the answer is "no" then learn to get what you want with what you have. How much are those extra keepers worth to you, and are you even sure another system will do what you want? Winder has posted that his A9 is vasrtly superior to his K-1 for eye tracking and weddings etc..... but if you don't want to pay the big bucks, that's irrelevant information.

Most of these conversations masquerade as, "this system isn't good enough" when the real question should be "how much do you have to pay to get better results?"

Winder is happy with his A9 results. I would be extremely unhappy having paid A9 and lens prices. I'd rather take lot's of images, 3 or 4 for each one ended and select, rather than expect each image to be perfect. But others will want something different.

You can upgrade your gear, at great cost, or lower your expectations and learn to work within the parameters defined by your gear. Both are workable choices, unless you have unlimited resources to spend on camera equipment. No matter what you buy, there are going to be some things other systems do better, and often made by the same manufacturer.

Last edited by normhead; 04-03-2018 at 09:35 AM.
04-03-2018, 09:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
There was no AF in those days, we had not choice... but we still produced professional quality work. It's not about being good, it's about WTF?.
Let's say - the time changed Norm, the time changed
04-03-2018, 09:39 AM   #10
Forum Member

Try live view with face detection
04-03-2018, 09:43 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Some things change, some things don't.
04-03-2018, 09:50 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ascencio Quote
Try live view with face detection
Since having this DSLR, I'm more into OVF framing,

altough LIveView is better for compositieng and framing...

Then again, Pentax LCD Live View is a litlly bit washed out in daylight, with low contrast, it's not even close to those one from Oly I also have...

And clip clap clip clap, every time I want to get into Live View, or Playback photos, drive mu nuts

I really dont know why the mirror traveling upside down, and do that clip clang sound - when you just want to play your photos to check the qulaity on the field...

there would be an option to stay in Live View, and mirror could be all the time locked in upper position
04-03-2018, 09:59 AM   #13
AoCo
Loyal Site Supporter

That’s a novel complaint.*

* Added to the list of reasons not to like Pentax.
04-03-2018, 10:26 AM   #14
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

I shot some ducks in flight with my KP and the DA 55-300 PLM and the only reason I had the shot was because I had turned on the camera and extended the lens to 300mm so I could scan distant trees for eagles when the ducks flew by, as they were both in focus but the first was blurry do to a slower shutter speed as I was in AV mode, I was pleasantly surprised that the second shot turned out quite well since the sun allowed the camera to choose 1/1250s. The focus on my KP has been very, very, good but as I had a K-50 previously, I cannot tell you about any difference from the K-3.

It should be better in any lower light situations due to improved high ISO performance though, shouldn't it?
04-03-2018, 10:30 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I shot some ducks in flight with my KP and the DA 55-300 PLM and the only reason I had the shot was because I had turned on the camera and extended the lens to 300mm so I could scan distant trees for eagles when the ducks flew by, as they were both in focus but the first was blurry do to a slower shutter speed as I was in AV mode, I was pleasantly surprised that the second shot turned out quite well since the sun allowed the camera to choose 1/1250s. The focus on my KP has been very, very, good but as I had a K-50 previously, I cannot tell you about any difference from the K-3.

It should be better in any lower light situations due to improved high ISO performance though, shouldn't it?
thanks for the info, I'm glad your shoots did up well