Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2018, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Nickrs's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: "The Green Desert"
Photos: Albums
Posts: 174
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
For the benefit of the OP, I will say this - hopefully as helpful information, and not to scare:

Weather resistance in any camera from any brand is not "weather proofing". It's merely an additional level of protection over non-weather-resistant cameras. And it can vary from copy to copy, as even in supposedly-clean manufacturing environments, contaminants can be present between weather seals, and tolerances differ slightly between body and sealing components that mate together. This is why even fully waterproof cameras designed for underwater use (and from various manufacturers) still suffer a percentage of failures due to water ingress.

To extend further Nick's comment, I would say "don't fully trust weather resistance on any camera"... simply consider it to be an additional level of protection. Use of any camera (or any piece of electronic equipment) in less than fine, dry, low-humidity weather has risks attached, however small. Which shouldn't stop you from enjoying your camera and shooting as intended, so long as you're aware of the risks.

@stevebrot wrote an excellent post on maximising the benefits of our equipment's weather-resistant capabilities, but even following all of the good advice therein, there can be no guarantees.
Spot on Mike!

I have my replacement KP and I've bought some plastic bags!

Nick

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
GR II  Photo 
04-11-2018, 03:53 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wangaratta, Victoria
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,524
I went from K5 to KP. It hasn't had a solid workout yet (only 230 clicks - but off to the coast on Sunday!).
The two disappointments are the small grip (fixable for about $70!) and placement of the back AF button - going for a quick focus I usually hit the green button! (fixable with a lot of patience and concentration and experience and...)
But otherwise, it is marvellous.
04-11-2018, 03:55 PM   #18
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 12,749
QuoteOriginally posted by Nickrs Quote
Spot on Mike!

I have my replacement KP and I've bought some plastic bags!
If the typical British weather continues as it has been, Nick, I'll be doing the same very soon!!
04-11-2018, 04:15 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Nickrs's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: "The Green Desert"
Photos: Albums
Posts: 174
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
If the typical British weather continues as it has been, Nick, I'll be doing the same very soon!!
As you might remember Mike, I live in Wales.

What have whales in common with Wales? WATER!

American tourist says to local child on the sea front in Aberystwyth "Does it always rain in Wales?", child replies "I don't know I'm only eight years old".

What has the Welsh weather, my Pentax KP and the "Borg" aliens off Star Trek TNG got in common? "Resistance is futile!".


Attached Images
 
04-11-2018, 04:31 PM   #20
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 12,749
QuoteOriginally posted by Nickrs Quote
As you might remember Mike, I live in Wales.
Yes, much the same here, Nick A bit dryer, perhaps, but here on the edge of the fells, we never trust the forecast
Attached Images
 
04-11-2018, 05:25 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Nickrs's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: "The Green Desert"
Photos: Albums
Posts: 174
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Yes, much the same here, Nick A bit dryer, perhaps, but here on the edge of the fells, we never trust the forecast
I once opined to elder daughter that "We don't get extreme weather in Britain"; being a bit of smarty pants and an atmospheric chemist who works for a windfarm consultancy she retorted, "very few parts of the planet experience three seasons in a day during all four seasons of the year but it happens somewhere in the British Isles all the time". Umbrellas are wonderful things. I bought into Pentax many years ago because of their weather resistance and the KP is strongly marketed as such too, but Welsh weather must be special, Welsh snow must contain more water. The Lake District is determinedly drizzly too of course.

Last edited by Nickrs; 04-11-2018 at 06:56 PM. Reason: correct spelling.
04-11-2018, 06:37 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Ex Finn.'s Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Southern Maryland.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,491
Yes, the feel is different coming from the K7 K5.
I think the handling and battery life are good with the D-BG7 battery grip, little skinnier than the K5 but not too much so.
The D FA 150-450 is right at home on the KP and focuses faster and more decisively than when on K1!
Low light image quality and focusing are on a different level, my favorite lens on the KP is the DA 20-40 ltd zoom.
This is my travel camera, all I have to do now is some traveling.
04-11-2018, 07:06 PM   #23
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,890
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
For the benefit of the OP, I will say this - hopefully as helpful information, and not to scare:

Weather resistance in any camera from any brand is not "weather proofing". It's merely an additional level of protection over non-weather-resistant cameras. And it can vary from copy to copy, as even in supposedly-clean manufacturing environments, contaminants can be present between weather seals, and tolerances differ slightly between body and sealing components that mate together. This is why even fully waterproof cameras designed for underwater use (and from various manufacturers) still suffer a percentage of failures due to water ingress.

To extend further Nick's comment, I would say "don't fully trust weather resistance on any camera"... simply consider it to be an additional level of protection. Use of any camera (or any piece of electronic equipment) in less than fine, dry, low-humidity weather has risks attached, however small. Which shouldn't stop you from enjoying your camera and shooting as intended, so long as you're aware of the risks.

@stevebrot wrote an excellent post on maximising the benefits of our equipment's weather-resistant capabilities, but even following all of the good advice therein, there can be no guarantees.
For the first time in my life, my K-30 has allowed me to take my camera out in any weather I'm willing to take myself out in. With it I'm more concerned about aperture control than about weather. I've had it for 34 months now. I don't know how I'll feel when I actually do get a KP, but right now I'm enjoying this new-found 'freedom'.


added: I'm not talking heavy rain here - but at the south end of a really 'great' lake, which results in much 'lake effect' clouds and precipitation, we get a lot of snow flurries and drizzles that don't stop me as consistently as they did.


Last edited by reh321; 04-11-2018 at 07:23 PM.
04-11-2018, 07:47 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Wingincamera's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Spanaway, WA. USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 739
My first Pentax was the K-5 II, then the KS-2 and now the KP. The KP is a little smaller form factor, but I quickly got use to that. My main reason going to the KP was the added iso ability, which hasn't disappointed me.
If I have to make one complaint of the KP it is the location of the rear button for "back button focus." I keep missing it and sometimes have to physically look at it to place my finger on it. On my Canon camera and both prior Pentax's it was more natural to locate. I think the problem for me is the small form factor of the KP. If you use the shutter button for pre-focus then this wouldn't effect you.
While I did sale the K-5 when I got the KS-2, I had decided to keep both the KP and the KS-2 thinking I might have a use for both cameras. I am now thinking about just keeping the KP and sale the other. The KP is all the camera I need.
I think you will really enjoy the KP and it's outstanding capabilities.
04-11-2018, 08:21 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Nickrs's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: "The Green Desert"
Photos: Albums
Posts: 174
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
For the first time in my life, my K-30 has allowed me to take my camera out in any weather I'm willing to take myself out in. With it I'm more concerned about aperture control than about weather. I've had it for 34 months now. I don't know how I'll feel when I actually do get a KP, but right now I'm enjoying this new-found 'freedom'.


added: I'm not talking heavy rain here - but at the south end of a really 'great' lake, which results in much 'lake effect' clouds and precipitation, we get a lot of snow flurries and drizzles that don't stop me as consistently as they did.
My first KP that suffered water ingress after use in snow was an early serial number and I suspect that something wasn't sealed properly, I never had a weather resistance problem with either of my K50s and haven't yet with my K3. Pentax met me half way on my warranty claim very quickly, so rather than fight on to prove a point I accepted a brand new replacement KP with a contribution of £400 from me. Bearing in mind the three thousand frame count on my soggy KP and that I retained my original Pentax branded battery worth £70 because I couldn't return it with the camera through the post in the UK, I don't feel too upset, just a bit disappointed. From now on when I use my new £900.00 KP in bad weather I will be more cautious and keep a £000.09 plastic bag over the top of it. It was an expensive lesson but life seems to be full of expensive lessons.
04-11-2018, 09:14 PM - 3 Likes   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Frazier Park, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 871
I love my KP. Right now itís my main camera, though thatís not why I bought the camera.

I love the ergonomics of the KP, it has all the things I liked about the K-S1 (small size and relatively small weight), along with better grip (Iím using the middle grip, perfect for my small hands) and two control wheels. My other camera is a K1, which I find more comfortable than the K3, strange for someone like me who has is small with small hands.

I bought it to use primarily with the 1.4 TC and DA300 then keep the 28-105 on the K1 as I drive the Alaskan Highway this summer. Iím beginning to think that the KP is going to get a lot more use with the Limited lenses as a walk-about camera than I had originally expected. It hasnít taken me long to adjust to the controls and they are similar enough to the K1 that going back and forth between cameras isnít confusing. Iím really happy, a lot happier than I had expected to be when I first started looking for a second camera and long telephoto option.

But the one thing Iíve learned about cameras, whatís perfect for one person is wrong for someone else. The KPís ergonomics are different than any of the other Pentax cameras Iíve owned, and they turn out to be just about perfect for me. Just my opinion but I think the grip and size makes it closer to the K-S1 than any other Pentax dSLR Iíve owned, but much, much better.

Iím a very happy camper.
04-12-2018, 06:55 AM   #27
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Eureka, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,214
QuoteOriginally posted by Rockbox Quote
How do you find the handling? What are your favourite lenses to use with it. How do you find the focusing? etc. etc.
I went from the K-5iis to the KP. In terms of ergonomics and handling, I find them about on par. Perhaps the K-5 series of cameras were a bit more comfortable to hold, but with the largest grip on the KP I don't have any issues. With the KP I find the e-dial a step forward in terms of handling, but the flyover menus in the status and playback screens a step back.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rockbox Quote
As soon as I can get out and about I'm looking forward to comparing KP and EM-1ii. I have certain expectations, for example about continuous auto focus and tracking and about low light performance but I'll have to be patient for a while. Anybody any experience of similar comparisons?
I have the E-M5ii, and I had the E-M5 before that. For years, I used these m43 cameras for the bulk of my hand-held work at wide to normal focal lengths because of the superb 5-axis stabilization. Since acquiring the KP, I've used the m43 less. The KP's 5-axis stabilization, while not quite as good as the E-M5ii, is nonetheless close, and the image quality of the KP, even at base ISO, is flat out better. I'm keeping my m43 stuff around primarily for video use, where that format really shines.
04-12-2018, 07:29 AM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member
panonski's Avatar

Join Date: May 2015
Location: Zagreb
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 444
QuoteOriginally posted by Rockbox Quote

ironically my new 'lightweight' kit weighs 1262 g whereas the KP and 18-135 weighs 1212 g, with the large grip. Includes straps, hood and lens caps. As soon as I can get out and about I'm looking forward to comparing KP and EM-1ii. I have certain expectations, for example about continuous auto focus and tracking and about low light performance but I'll have to be patient for a while. Anybody any experience of similar comparisons?
---
Anyone else have both Pentax and M4/3 kit? What do you find to be the advantages and disadvantages. I would have said the big advantage of M4/3 for me was light weight for the Olympus kit, but a bit worse IQ especially at high ISO, compared to my K5. But that no longer holds with the EM-1ii kit; the KP and 18-135 is now my 'lightweight' kit! It's all relative I suppose. But I do wonder how the IQ of these two will compare
please do such comparison, I'm very interested ! Because I'm also m43 parallel user, and want the KP , and want to know which suits you better... I was just ask in Facebook pentax group today the very same question

Last edited by panonski; 04-12-2018 at 07:53 AM.
04-12-2018, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #29
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter
TedH42's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Colorado
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,138
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
I went from K5 to KP. It hasn't had a solid workout yet (only 230 clicks - but off to the coast on Sunday!).
The two disappointments are the small grip (fixable for about $70!) and placement of the back AF button - going for a quick focus I usually hit the green button! (fixable with a lot of patience and concentration and experience and...)
But otherwise, it is marvellous.
Get used to the new position of the back AF button - the current Pentax cameras (K-3ii, K-1 (original & ii), K-70, KP) all have it near the top edge of the back, where the thumb hits it very comfortably. I found the AF button positioning on the K-5 to be quite awkward (always hitting the green button instead), so am glad for the change.
04-12-2018, 12:42 PM - 3 Likes   #30
Pentaxian
robtcorl's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: St Louis, MO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,298
QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
I bought it to use primarily with the 1.4 TC and DA300
I don't have the 1.4, but I love this combo.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
40mm, body, da, dog, handling, hope, ii, iq, k-5, k5, kit, kp, lens, light, m4/3, olympus em-1ii, pentax, pentax kp, performance, photo, transition, weather, wonder
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I just bought a CZJ Biometar 80mm f/2.8 (M42 fitting) - Anyone have experience of it? HarisF1 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 10 3 Days Ago 09:34 PM
KP vs K-70 - to KP or not to KP, that is the question OldChE Pentax DSLR Discussion 19 02-04-2018 09:43 AM
My K-70 Decision Made For Me lectrolink Pentax K-70 9 11-25-2016 03:36 AM
Hello - I have just bought the Pentax K1 Rutti66 Welcomes and Introductions 12 05-06-2016 03:33 PM
Have I made the right decision? Igilligan Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 02-03-2008 11:32 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:42 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top