Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2018, 07:44 AM   #1

Just bought a KP have I made the right decision?

I've been using Pentax DSLRs for years, for the last 7 my trusty K5 and 18-135WR lens has been my most used combination. To cheer myself up after recent medical issues I decided to upgrade my Pentax kit with a KP body. I've just got it and teamed it with the 18-135. I'm unsure about the handling, it doesn't feel as good as my K5 but is that just a matter of getting used to it? Haven't had chance to use it since I got it yesterday ( I'm recovering from an operation so a bit immobile). I'm looking forward to comparing its performance with the K5. I'd be very interested to hear of other people's experiences of upgrading to the KP. How do you find the handling? What are your favourite lenses to use with it. How do you find the focusing? etc. etc.

I also upgraded my lightweight kit (Olympus OMD EM-5 and 12-50mm) with an EM-1 Mark2 and 12-100mm lens (yes it was a lot of money to splash out but you only live once and where I come from, Burnley in Lancashire, they say "thi don't pu' pockets i'shrouds tha' knows, geddit spent"). Ironically my new 'lightweight' kit weighs 1262 g whereas the KP and 18-135 weighs 1212 g, with the large grip. Includes straps, hood and lens caps. As soon as I can get out and about I'm looking forward to comparing KP and EM-1ii. I have certain expectations, for example about continuous auto focus and tracking and about low light performance but I'll have to be patient for a while. Anybody any experience of similar comparisons?

Anyone else have both Pentax and M4/3 kit? What do you find to be the advantages and disadvantages. I would have said the big advantage of M4/3 for me was light weight for the Olympus kit, but a bit worse IQ especially at high ISO, compared to my K5. But that no longer holds with the EM-1ii kit; the KP and 18-135 is now my 'lightweight' kit! It's all relative I suppose. But I do wonder how the IQ of these two will compare.

04-11-2018, 07:51 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you really want to go lightweight with high IQ, what about an FA 43 or DA 21 to mate up with your KP? Or a 40XS, or a DA 70....

I do wonder about a new body and how it would "fit" me. Whatever comes after the K-3 II may actually retire my K-5 II. But the K-5 body has such great fit-to-hand and button placement going on, and that excellent top plate LCD... I wonder how much I'll feel like i have to adapt.

Curious what others submit that have gone through a K-5 to KP transition.
04-11-2018, 07:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I haven't gone through a transition yet, but I have a K-5 and I've been thinking about the KP. I agree the K-5 feels great, but I am interested in the high ISO performance of the KP. Would be interested in hearing what you think. Either way, congrats on the KP and hope you feel better soon!
04-11-2018, 08:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes you did. As you gain experience with it I believe you will find yourself sure of that fact. It is a very capable camera and the images are quite good in many lighting conditions.

04-11-2018, 10:06 AM   #5

I love my KP but DON'T TRUST THE WEATHER RESISTANCE!

Here is my KP with my DA XS 40mm lens kitted out with a hood and UV filter (photo taken with my K-01), they work very well together.

And here is my dog Agnes taken with my KP/XS 40mm combination.

Nick
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
04-11-2018, 10:34 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
If you really want to go lightweight with high IQ, what about an FA 43 or DA 21 to mate up with your KP? Or a 40XS, or a DA 70....

I do wonder about a new body and how it would "fit" me. Whatever comes after the K-3 II may actually retire my K-5 II. But the K-5 body has such great fit-to-hand and button placement going on, and that excellent top plate LCD... I wonder how much I'll feel like i have to adapt.

Curious what others submit that have gone through a K-5 to KP transition.
I do so agree about the K5 fit to hand. It feels more comfortable than the KP.

---------- Post added 04-11-18 at 10:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
I haven't gone through a transition yet, but I have a K-5 and I've been thinking about the KP. I agree the K-5 feels great, but I am interested in the high ISO performance of the KP. Would be interested in hearing what you think. Either way, congrats on the KP and hope you feel better soon!
Thanks, I hope to be able to take some photos soon. Having said that the weather is rubbish here at the moment overcast and drizzly so not the best for camera comparison.

---------- Post added 04-11-18 at 10:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Nickrs Quote

Here is my KP with my DA XS 40mm lens kitted out with a hood and UV filter (photo taken with my K-01), they work very well together.

And here is my dog Agnes taken with my KP/XS 40mm combination.

Nick
Terrific photo of your lovely dog.
04-11-2018, 10:51 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Rockbox Quote
I've been using Pentax DSLRs for years, for the last 7 my trusty K5 and 18-135WR lens has been my most used combination. To cheer myself up after recent medical issues I decided to upgrade my Pentax kit with a KP body. I've just got it and teamed it with the 18-135. I'm unsure about the handling, it doesn't feel as good as my K5 but is that just a matter of getting used to it? Haven't had chance to use it since I got it yesterday ( I'm recovering from an operation so a bit immobile). I'm looking forward to comparing its performance with the K5. I'd be very interested to hear of other people's experiences of upgrading to the KP. How do you find the handling? What are your favourite lenses to use with it. How do you find the focusing? etc. etc.

I also upgraded my lightweight kit (Olympus OMD EM-5 and 12-50mm) with an EM-1 Mark2 and 12-100mm lens (yes it was a lot of money to splash out but you only live once and where I come from, Burnley in Lancashire, they say "thi don't pu' pockets i'shrouds tha' knows, geddit spent"). Ironically my new 'lightweight' kit weighs 1262 g whereas the KP and 18-135 weighs 1212 g, with the large grip. Includes straps, hood and lens caps. As soon as I can get out and about I'm looking forward to comparing KP and EM-1ii. I have certain expectations, for example about continuous auto focus and tracking and about low light performance but I'll have to be patient for a while. Anybody any experience of similar comparisons?

Anyone else have both Pentax and M4/3 kit? What do you find to be the advantages and disadvantages. I would have said the big advantage of M4/3 for me was light weight for the Olympus kit, but a bit worse IQ especially at high ISO, compared to my K5. But that no longer holds with the EM-1ii kit; the KP and 18-135 is now my 'lightweight' kit! It's all relative I suppose. But I do wonder how the IQ of these two will compare.
While the ergonomics of the K-5 are better (IMO), the KP is definitely worth it for the image quality alone. It's a significant improvement across the board.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-11-2018, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bought a KP in October as possible upgrade to K-5IIs/K-5 combo I've been shooting with. Short version, it took a long time to get used to the new feel. It's just not as perfect in the hand as the K-5 form. Also hate the battery business. That said, it grows on you, and the image quality is superb. I'm thinking to keep the one KP (though I was planning to buy two) and wait for the K-3 upgrade that seems to be coming. If they can put the image quality into a K-3 body, I'm in.
04-11-2018, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

I have long had the K-5 then the K-5 IIs. Before that I was shooting with a K-20D, a significantly larger body. I knew of some who abandoned Pentax, because of the K-7's and K-5's small size compared to the feel of their K-20D, and because of the new smaller design also given up were 2 on-body controls: the bracketing and the SR switch.

As for me, I liked the smaller size of the K-5 body, and its feel. When I got the KP last year, I adjusted to it immediately. I have preferences, depending on the lens in use, but I am fully ok with any of the grips. But my original Pentax body was the ME Super. I liked its smaller size than the competition, and its beautiful build, so I bought 2 new ones. I used them regularly for many years. The KP's compactness appeals to me, yet I can instantly adapt back to shooting with my K-5 IIs, and yes, its on-body control set and top LCD panel are a convenience. But that is the small price to pay for the extra-slim, lightweight KP design, which still has far more advanced controls than the usual smaller body like a K-S2 or K-70. Functionally, the KP handles just fine for me.

As to the DA 18-135mm DC WR lens, I've had one of those for a long time as well. It is a great lens for use with the KP, being so compact and capable, well-built, and having WR. But I agree, to enjoy the KP's IQ and its fine compact build quality more to the max, the ultra-fine compact Limited lenses represent a concept the KP designers obviously had in mind. I have some of those as well, and they do deliver, while being a joy to use.

Last edited by mikesbike; 04-11-2018 at 01:30 PM.
04-11-2018, 01:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Wait, what's wrong with the weather resistance?
04-11-2018, 02:16 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Scintilla Quote
See this thread: My KP has gone mad!! - PentaxForums.com

04-11-2018, 02:33 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I have long had the K-5 then the K-5 IIs. Before that I was shooting with a K-20D, a significantly larger body. I knew of some who abandoned Pentax, because of the K-7's and K-5's small size compared to the feel of their K-20D, and because of the new smaller design also given up were 2 on-body controls: the bracketing and the SR switch.

As for me, I liked the smaller size of the K-5 body, and its feel. When I got the KP last year, I adjusted to it immediately. I have preferences, depending on the lens in use, but I am fully ok with any of the grips. But my original Pentax body was the ME Super. I liked its smaller size than the competition, and its beautiful build, so I bought 2 new ones. I used them regularly for many years. The KP's compactness appeals to me, yet I can instantly adapt back to shooting with my K-5 IIs, and yes, its on-body control set and top LCD panel are a convenience. But that is the small price to pay for the extra-slim, lightweight KP design, which still has far more advanced controls than the usual smaller body like a K-S2 or K-70. Functionally, the KP handles just fine for me.

As to the DA 18-135mm DC WR lens, I've had one of those for a long time as well. It is a great lens for use with the KP, being so compact and capable, well-built, and having WR. But I agree, to enjoy the KP's IQ and its fine compact build quality more to the max, the ultra-fine compact Limited lenses represent a concept the KP designers obviously had in mind. I have some of those as well, and they do deliver, while being a joy to use.
Just like you I loved the ME Super. My first wife and I used a pair of them extensively in the 1980s/90s particularly in our geological fieldwork. Still got them in my collection of film cameras. The K5 was my fifth Pentax DSLR and the one I have liked most and used most. I have found the 18-135mm to be an excellent lens and it has been on the K5 90% of the time. I like the focal range it gives you and rarely change lenses except for ultra wide angle (Sigma 10-20mm). It will be interesting to see how it performs on the KP.
04-11-2018, 03:11 PM - 1 Like   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Scintilla Quote
For the benefit of the OP, I will say this - hopefully as helpful information, and not to scare:

Weather resistance in any camera from any brand is not "weather proofing". It's merely an additional level of protection over non-weather-resistant cameras. And it can vary from copy to copy, as even in supposedly-clean manufacturing environments, contaminants can be present between weather seals, and tolerances differ slightly between body and sealing components that mate together. This is why even fully waterproof cameras designed for underwater use (and from various manufacturers) still suffer a percentage of failures due to water ingress.

To extend further Nick's comment, I would say "don't fully trust weather resistance on any camera"... simply consider it to be an additional level of protection. Use of any camera (or any piece of electronic equipment) in less than fine, dry, low-humidity weather has risks attached, however small. Which shouldn't stop you from enjoying your camera and shooting as intended, so long as you're aware of the risks.

@stevebrot wrote an excellent post on maximising the benefits of our equipment's weather-resistant capabilities, but even following all of the good advice therein, there can be no guarantees.
04-11-2018, 03:37 PM - 1 Like   #14

I am lucky enough to have both a K3 and a KP and I'm going to keep both.

I bought a KP on the premise that it was going to replace my original K3, but within a few days I decided to keep both as they are very different beasts. My K3 is a large solid lump with excellent ergonomics, it feels like it was hewn from the living rock and will last a lifetime; the KP on the other hand feels much lighter but perhaps slightly cramped to use. What makes the KP superior is that it is a veritable gadget-fest with the ability to turn in stunning image quality when shooting hand-held and in low light. I think the best way to describe the differences is that the K3 is happiest fitted with a DA* 300mm or a big zoom or landscape lens and mounted on a tripod; the KP excels fitted with a lightweight "Limited" lens and trying to create interesting hand-held images, finally I try to always keep my Ricoh GRii in my pocket just in case. My aged father had a saying "the things you see when you haven't got your gun", these days most people use their phone to capture "the things you see" but if you want to go one better I recommend a Ricoh GRii.

You may observe that I overindulge in my hobby of keeping fringe consumer brands alive, whether it be Pentax, Saab, Linux or Moto Guzzi, I try to do my best to preserve economic and technical diversity. I don't own a single Apple product!

If I recall correctly, when the KP was released Pentax said in their press statements that "the KP is not a replacement for the K3ii", it fills a different niche.

The Pentax KP is not the replacement of the K-3 II, new high-end Pentax DSLR coming in 6 months | Pentax Rumors

Last edited by Nickrs; 04-11-2018 at 03:53 PM.
04-11-2018, 03:47 PM - 1 Like   #15

Original Poster
I am lucky enough to have both a K3 and a KP and I'm going to keep both.

I bought a KP on the premise that it was going to replace my original K3, but within a few days I decided to keep both as they very different beasts. My K3 is a large solid lump with excellent ergonomics, it feels like it was hewn from the living rock and will last a lifetime; the KP on the other hand feels much lighter but perhaps slightly cramped to use. What makes the KP superior is that it is a veritable gadget-fest with the ability to turn in stunning image quality when shooting hand-held and in low light. I think the best way to describe the differences is that the K3 is happiest fitted with a DA* 300mm or a big zoom or landscape lens and mounted on a tripod; the KP excels fitted with a lightweight "Limited" lens and trying to create interesting hand-held images, finally I try to always keep my Ricoh GRii in my pocket just in case. My aged father had a saying "the things you see when you haven't got your gun", these days most people use their phone to capture "the things you see" but if you want to go one better I recommend a Ricoh GRii.

You may observe that I overindulge in my hobby of keeping fringe consumer brands alive, whether it be Pentax, Saab, Linux or Moto Guzzi, I try to do my best to preserve economic and technical diversity. I don't own a single Apple product!

If I recall correctly, when the KP was released Pentax said in their press statements that "the KP is not a replacement for the K3ii", it fills a different niche.

The Pentax KP is not the replacement of the K-3 II, new high-end Pentax DSLR coming in 6 months | Pentax Rumors
Very interesting your comparison of the K3 and KP. I shall probably keep my K5 but doubt I'll use it much. My pocket (almost) camera is a Panasonic LX100 but I have a Nokia 1020, its 41 megapixels takes a decent photo, and that's always in my pocket when I'm out.