Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2018, 11:15 AM   #1
Junior Member
MrStupid's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Orlando Florida
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 34
KP Overheating? To KP or not...

Does the KP overheat?
I said I wouldn't buy a DSLR untill they fixed the overheating in video mode issue... so they came out with the K-01.
I would like to up grade from my three k-01 cameras (bit rate) that I use exclusively for video/cine stuff (image stabilizer off - auto focus off - since I have no use for ether, no matter how well they work). The problem is that when I tried a Canon t2i (and recently a Canon 70D) after 20 to 30 minutes of just being turned on while looking for shots while working on a music video, shut down just when it was time to shoot the first shot, and I had a similar experience with the 70D. In contrast I have shot with the K-01 all day long on shoots in the Florida blazing sun and never a hiccup.
So after all that, does anyone know if the KP can overheat while shooting video. I don't care if it even has image stabilization or auto focus I never use ether for cine work, I just can't have a camera overheating and shutting down in the middle of a shoot.

And I'm not talking about the shutdown at 25 to 28 minutes that is due to regulations, I know about that and it has never been a problem, being that I can't imagine ever needing to shoot more than a minute or three on a cine style shoot, just concerned with the KP overheating and shutting down during shooting or like the Canon line which even overheats while siting there idling and then when you hit the record button the camera tells you it is going to shut down.

Thanks


Last edited by MrStupid; 04-16-2018 at 03:31 PM.
04-16-2018, 11:28 AM   #2
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter
SSGGeezer's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Maine, U.S.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,172
The shutdown at 25 to 28 minutes is due to regulations on importing cameras that can shoot still and video, more than heating issues. As the KP is in a magnesium alloy frame I suspect that overheating will not be a problem outside of extremely hot cliomate shooting.
04-16-2018, 12:34 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 30,745
You may be interested in this recent thread on a similar question...

Recording time and overheating differences between models - PentaxForums.com

As noted above, the 25 minute limit has nothing to do with overheating, but is built into most dSLRs to comply with the designation as "still camera" for import purposes. If you need a camera that goes for longer times without interruption, you will not find such in the Pentax line, either current or past; this includes the K-01 (see page 117 in the user guide). A common suggestion is any of the higher-end Lumix GH-series cameras. Those have unrestricted video times, are optimized for video capture, and still provide reasonable still photo performance. One may also consider an enthusiast-level dedicated video camera.


Steve
04-16-2018, 03:47 PM   #4
Junior Member
MrStupid's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Orlando Florida
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 34
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You may be interested in this recent thread on a similar question...

Recording time and overheating differences between models - PentaxForums.com

As noted above, the 25 minute limit has nothing to do with overheating, but is built into most dSLRs to comply with the designation as "still camera" for import purposes. If you need a camera that goes for longer times without interruption, you will not find such in the Pentax line, either current or past; this includes the K-01 (see page 117 in the user guide). A common suggestion is any of the higher-end Lumix GH-series cameras. Those have unrestricted video times, are optimized for video capture, and still provide reasonable still photo performance. One may also consider an enthusiast-level dedicated video camera.


Steve
stevebrot
Thanks for the link (Recording time and overheating differences between models) Unfortunatly there is no info on the KP but he is having the same problem I'm talking about that I've had with Canon, that I've never had with the K-01 under any conditions, and I just want to make sure the KP isn't going to shut down when I press record.

04-16-2018, 03:57 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Ex Finn.'s Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Southern Maryland.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,187
QuoteOriginally posted by MrStupid Quote
stevebrot
Thanks for the link (Recording time and overheating differences between models) Unfortunatly there is no info on the KP but he is having the same problem I'm talking about that I've had with Canon, that I've never had with the K-01 under any conditions, and I just want to make sure the KP isn't going to shut down when I press record.
Have you considered renting one to try it out?
LensRentals.com - Rent Photo > Pentax > Cameras
04-16-2018, 04:15 PM   #6
Junior Member
MrStupid's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Orlando Florida
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 34
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MrStupid Quote
stevebrot
Thanks for the link (Recording time and overheating differences between models) Unfortunatly there is no info on the KP but he is having the same problem I'm talking about that I've had with Canon, that I've never had with the K-01 under any conditions, and I just want to make sure the KP isn't going to shut down when I press record.
It would be great if a KP owner would perform a test that would go like this:
In a relatively warm environment turn on the KP in video mode, 24p, highest quality, and then play around with it for about 30 minutes or so, then hit the record button and see what happens. If it dosen't shut down keep shooting for an hour or two, shooting like your shooting a fashion job, or a film, or a music video, 1 to 3 minutes at a clip but the camera never gets turned off. In my case the camera sometimes stays on all day.
04-16-2018, 04:33 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Ex Finn.'s Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Southern Maryland.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,187
QuoteOriginally posted by MrStupid Quote
It would be great if a KP owner would perform a test that would go like this:
In a relatively warm environment turn on the KP in video mode,
I would do it but its anything but warm here.
Something to keep in mind is the lack of battery capacity with the D-Li190. A grip with the D-Li90 is a must IMO.
04-16-2018, 06:58 PM   #8
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,150
For a need involving heavy video use, i think it most appropriate to get the right equipment- a dedicated video camera outfit!

04-16-2018, 07:16 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
BruceBanner's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
Posts: 2,492
I live in Australia, have a KP did a 25min video, and yes it came up with a message saying overheating and shutting down for safety etc.

It only happened once, and I have only really pushed my K-1 and KP once at an event for recording. I make a point of stopping video around the 20min mark rather than 25min (at different timing intervals so there was always one camera still rolling of course), and mid way of the event (break time) I replaced the batteries in both units as they were getting warm.

I do believe I'd run into problems again if trying 2x25mins blocks back to back and indeed if 'messing around' with even regular still shoots as well.

The fact it occurred once at home (on a test) alerted me that this was a 'thing' and could happen, so on the day I did minimum messing around, just set them up, hit record etc.

Settings wise it was MF, 1080p, 24 or 30fps (can't recall).
07-07-2018, 07:40 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 41
Good info to know. Haven't really tested out the video on my KP and we're going through a heat wave here in Kansas
07-10-2018, 04:23 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 112
OK, not sure about videos, but I definitely got "overheated" message with still shots - it is first for me (I had K-30 and K200D before, not actual for K200D because no live view). What I was doing: I was keeping Live View on, with shots from time to time in hot weather.
07-10-2018, 04:40 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
BruceBanner's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
Posts: 2,492
QuoteOriginally posted by Evie Quote
OK, not sure about videos, but I definitely got "overheated" message with still shots - it is first for me (I had K-30 and K200D before, not actual for K200D because no live view). What I was doing: I was keeping Live View on, with shots from time to time in hot weather.
Not had that, and I live in Australia, did it fix with a change of battery or...?
07-10-2018, 04:58 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 112
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Not had that, and I live in Australia, did it fix with a change of battery or...?
I simply started turning off between shots (it was not a continuous shooting, SF Pride parade - when somebody came closer, I raised camera above head, took several shots, lowered again. Constantly screen on, hot and sun when camera up, after a while (quite a bit, half an hour or hour) started getting errors, that camera overheated).

The only videos I recorded were in much cooler arena and only up to a minute or two.

So far I am also not very happy with high noise, but sound quality in videos are not bad and overall I am more happy with videos than with photos from the last shot (I have this camera not long and I do not do professional shooting)
07-11-2018, 02:45 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
BruceBanner's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
Posts: 2,492
QuoteOriginally posted by Evie Quote
I simply started turning off between shots (it was not a continuous shooting, SF Pride parade - when somebody came closer, I raised camera above head, took several shots, lowered again. Constantly screen on, hot and sun when camera up, after a while (quite a bit, half an hour or hour) started getting errors, that camera overheated).

The only videos I recorded were in much cooler arena and only up to a minute or two.

So far I am also not very happy with high noise, but sound quality in videos are not bad and overall I am more happy with videos than with photos from the last shot (I have this camera not long and I do not do professional shooting)
Interesting feedback.

My KP doesn't see a high end use as mine is more of a backup and second shooter to my K-1 (when I do events that call for dual wielding). I believe the heat error will be directly related to the Live View screen, because in Movie mode and recording you have the screen on all the time and cannot turn it off, and I got the message after 25min recording of a video shot inside my house (though it was Summer here at the time so inside house temps could of actually been very high, 30-35 degrees etc).

If you were shooting LV mostly, and toggling the screen on and off for over 30-60mins I could see that this might result in a similar level of heat compared to a single long 25min shoot.

Up until recently I haven't used LV for shooting that much, typically using the OVF (except for those 'above crowd' shots like what you might have been doing), however recently I have found MF mode in LV to being excellent so have started shooting in LV a lot more (tho this extends to really just the K-1).

I might start shooting the KP more in LV and report back, sometime later in the year when things heat up (it's Winter here currently). I'd be interested to know if a battery swap helps or not...

I'm quite surprised to hear your feedback regarding noise and being more content with video than stills, typically people report the exact opposite! The KP is supposed to be one of the better noise suppressing Pentax cameras out there, on par with the K-1mkii!

I take it you're familiar with all the options and methods to shoot with lower ISO and have Noise Reduction on etc?
07-11-2018, 07:47 PM   #15
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter
SSGGeezer's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Maine, U.S.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,172
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Interesting feedback.

My KP doesn't see a high end use as mine is more of a backup and second shooter to my K-1 (when I do events that call for dual wielding). I believe the heat error will be directly related to the Live View screen, because in Movie mode and recording you have the screen on all the time and cannot turn it off, and I got the message after 25min recording of a video shot inside my house (though it was Summer here at the time so inside house temps could of actually been very high, 30-35 degrees etc).

If you were shooting LV mostly, and toggling the screen on and off for over 30-60mins I could see that this might result in a similar level of heat compared to a single long 25min shoot.

Up until recently I haven't used LV for shooting that much, typically using the OVF (except for those 'above crowd' shots like what you might have been doing), however recently I have found MF mode in LV to being excellent so have started shooting in LV a lot more (tho this extends to really just the K-1).

I might start shooting the KP more in LV and report back, sometime later in the year when things heat up (it's Winter here currently). I'd be interested to know if a battery swap helps or not...

I'm quite surprised to hear your feedback regarding noise and being more content with video than stills, typically people report the exact opposite! The KP is supposed to be one of the better noise suppressing Pentax cameras out there, on par with the K-1mkii!

I take it you're familiar with all the options and methods to shoot with lower ISO and have Noise Reduction on etc?
I would also like to hear the setup for video that yields the best results and what lenses were used also.
I figure it is better to know, just in case before I may need to shoot a little video.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
70d, auto, canon, ether, focus, image, k-01, kp, pentax kp, shot, video
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Recording time and overheating differences between models Canid Video and Pentax HDSLRs 45 08-27-2018 07:34 PM
KP vs K-70 - to KP or not to KP, that is the question OldChE Pentax DSLR Discussion 19 02-04-2018 09:43 AM
Has Pentax K1 overheating issue? corvaz Pentax K-1 14 09-19-2017 02:12 PM
Nature Willllbur! Your mustang is overheating! gifthorse Post Your Photos! 6 06-11-2016 09:40 PM
overheating Sigma DC 18-250 3.5-6.3 Macro HSM in Singapore i_trax Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 26 05-27-2014 12:39 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:08 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top