Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2018, 12:46 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
That is not always the case. I have printed 1.25m wide ISO3200 photo taken with D810 and it does not look too bad from technical side of IQ. Sure, it was well lit aurora borealis scenery with bit of help from moonlight. It can be done. And those 50MP+ MF backs and bodies allow even more pushing.
I could see doing this, and I was certainly hoping that the Mk2 would help in these situations. Maybe allow going to 6400 or 12800. I think my main concern in these kind of situations is lowish noise and good color. I don't know that I look at pixel level detail in a large landscape, even at a meter on edge. And even less so in a night scene. If there's a star-eater issue like with Sony, that would be a problem, but I haven't seen any conclusive proof of that, or for that matter, much of any examples of night landscape/astro comparison at all. I'm going to sit tight until I see some of that. Studio photos of circuit boards are not the most helpful comparison on that front.

05-01-2018, 01:59 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That is not always the case. I have printed 1.25m wide ISO3200 photo taken with D810 and it does not look too bad from technical side of IQ. Sure, it was well lit aurora borealis scenery with bit of help from moonlight. It can be done. And those 50MP+ MF backs and bodies allow even more pushing.
You didn't bother using 'Quote', so I don't know who you were responding to. Obviously, for your special use case, you do need something like a 645Z, but my issue initially was with the the KP, which people have been using for other purposes for a year now, and 'suddenly', now that few people like you are complaining about the K-1ii, we're also finally hearing a few complaints about the KP, again from specialized users, such as those using the super-sharp DA560mm.I'm glad to hear that the the DA560mm is worth every penny, but it is not typical of what the KP was designed for. Have complaints from users of the DA560mm or other super sharp lenses been dribbling in all year, and I've just been oblivious to them, or were these encouraged/inspired by complaints about the K-1ii?

My use cases are much more prosaic, such as seeing a squirrel lapping up water from a plastic container on my deck while my cat watches hopelessly from behind a glass door {and this is almost dusk, do I need the confidence to use ISO values 3200 or higher} By the time I've figured exposure out and what shutter speed / aperture compromise I'm wiling to use on my K-30 with my DA 55-300mm, the squirrel has left and my cat has gone back to sleep. With the KP, could I safely use comfortable shutter / aperture settings under TAv that might push my ISO over 3200?

Last edited by reh321; 05-01-2018 at 02:09 PM. Reason: add my use case
05-01-2018, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

I'm not sure why people who print large feel need to expound upon their needs as if it were relevant to the other 99.9% of the world. That's a niche market. At best. And the guys who are best at it generally don't use 35mm cameras.
05-01-2018, 05:14 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
You didn't bother using 'Quote', so I don't know who you were responding to. Obviously, for your special use case, you do need something like a 645Z, but my issue initially was with the the KP, which people have been using for other purposes for a year now, and 'suddenly', now that few people like you are complaining about the K-1ii, we're also finally hearing a few complaints about the KP, again from specialized users, such as those using the super-sharp DA560mm.I'm glad to hear that the the DA560mm is worth every penny, but it is not typical of what the KP was designed for. Have complaints from users of the DA560mm or other super sharp lenses been dribbling in all year, and I've just been oblivious to them, or were these encouraged/inspired by complaints about the K-1ii?

My use cases are much more prosaic, such as seeing a squirrel lapping up water from a plastic container on my deck while my cat watches hopelessly from behind a glass door {and this is almost dusk, do I need the confidence to use ISO values 3200 or higher} By the time I've figured exposure out and what shutter speed / aperture compromise I'm wiling to use on my K-30 with my DA 55-300mm, the squirrel has left and my cat has gone back to sleep. With the KP, could I safely use comfortable shutter / aperture settings under TAv that might push my ISO over 3200?
Yes, no doubt about it.

05-01-2018, 06:12 PM   #20
Veteran Member

As always, camera positive/negatives hinge on usage cases.

Event and sports photographers use high ISO all the time because they need to. Tech like the Accelerator chip will benefit them more than users who may rarely shoot high ISO.

But pixel shift + Accelerator chip will still offer powerful capabilities, I imagine, even for users who may prioritize low-ISO/high detail.
05-01-2018, 09:07 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm not sure why people who print large feel need to expound upon their needs as if it were relevant to the other 99.9% of the world.
I don't think resolving details has anything to do with print size. More resolving power is mostly needed for looking close or the ability to cropping the initial image. If you look at a print from a distance such as the diagonal of the print, your eyes won't be able to discern pixel details beyond 7Mpixels. And, I believe that Pentax is very aware of that, that is why they trade noise against pixel sharpness in order to improve the perception of the image as a whole.
05-02-2018, 12:45 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Ricoh imaging should offer two models of K1 mark II: the K1 II S and the K1II Sr. K1 II S with accelerator unit and K1 II Sr without the accelerator unit. Customers would select the version of K1 II they like the most (in both cases, a pixel magnifier is included in the box). Has anyone already taken a hyper macro shot of a K1 pixel?
Haha, but they could call the K1 II Sr just - K1. Or, to indicate a new production run, K1 classic.

05-02-2018, 02:34 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Of course it can be done. The question is how much noise/detail loss you are going to tolerate. That's all. And yes, going up a sensor size from full frame allows another stop improvement in high iso performance. We know what iso 3200 looks like on a K-1. It is fine and yes, you can print an iso 3200 image from a K-1 as big as you want, but there will be noise there or you'll have to do some noise reduction (which will also mean some detail loss).

Personally, I don't usually print as big as you do, but I have a few times and it has always been images shot at low iso with minimal cropping.
05-02-2018, 05:55 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

@fenwoodian

You hit the nail to the head. That is why I do not print small, ever. Going above 1 meter wide side you are already pushing 36MP files and it really matters whether you have mush to show at close range. Unacceptable.
One of the guys on the forum, though he's not around much anymore, Eddie1960, had a cousin in the large print business, selling his 5 ft to 6 foot prints for $3k to 6k a print as I recall. That was long before even 36MP cameras.

You assertion that people will buy the image that is clearest up close is compete nonsense. I've seen a lot of low res images on hospital walls and professional offices that filled the whole wall, but didn't look terribly good up close. The problem with this argument as far as I can tell is that there will never be two equivalent images shot at different resolution side by side.

The claim that people will buy the highest resolution image is unsupported by anything. It's one man's opinion. They'll go for the composition they like. Art is about enjoyment of the image, not enjoyment of the tech. that produced it.

I've seen an awful lot of art hanging on walls that sold for thousands of dollars, that in your world would be "unacceptable."

But I do wonder, how many of these large prints have you sold. Honest, if your going for the high res, and want to sell images for the big bucks, shoot film.

The 20 Most Expensive Photos Sold at Auction (As of 2017).
Most of these expensive prints were done with film.

Last edited by normhead; 05-02-2018 at 11:57 AM.
05-02-2018, 02:10 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
Haha, but they could call the K1 II Sr just - K1. Or, to indicate a new production run, K1 classic.
why not just have software control to turn it on or off?
05-02-2018, 02:51 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by suraswami Quote
why not just have software control to turn it on or off?
If I were one of their designers, I would view it as part of the sensor, a part we could not add as an additional layer to the actual sensor because Pentax does not manufacture sensors. Normally, one does not have controls to turn parts of the sensor on or off. I also believe, but do not know, that including the ability to turn it on or off would add circuitry that work against the purposes of this chip, by providing ways for noise to creep into the image.

added: I placed this thread in this section because I really am interested in the past year of accumulated experience with the KP, but people keep going back to the K-1ii; apparently I was right in thinking that lots of people were oblivious to the KP and the role of this chip in it.