Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2018, 11:54 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First Three Days with Kay Pi (KP) - KP vs. K-1 - infos and settings

New equipment needs some attention to get used to it. So the last three days I studied my new APSC camera and its manual.

Camera set to english language and also read the english manual version. Why? I wanted to write an article about my findings so that you can read and understand it (hopefully ) using the correct english terms.

It covers my intention to buy the camera, what I like and what not and the settings I choose to support my shooting style.

Since it became a relative long writing over three days I share it via my website . You can read it here if you like.

Hopefully you get something out of it. Comments appreciated. Should I be wrong in some way please let me know.

Thanks in advance & best regards, acoufap

P.s. If you're interested in more of my personal website blog posts and your able to read and understand german please change to the german (deutsch, have a look at the top right side) area.

Pictures taken with KP & DA55-300PLM today ...

05-21-2018, 02:32 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very interesting article on the KP and how you use it. Thank you for posting.
05-21-2018, 05:18 PM   #3
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

You certainly studied the manual before making your setup choices for your KP. Nice write up. You could even expand on how and why you set your FX buttons to what they are now set to do to give some of us who only pull out the book when we get stuck some new ideas for shooting.
05-21-2018, 05:44 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Your blog post is a great guide to the KP in real life photography. I wish I had found something like this when I first bought the camera half a year ago, as transitioning from a K-5IIs to the KP interface was, to say the least, confusing. The KP is great but may have too many customization options.

Your post has also convinced me I want to buy a K-1 one of these days, as they seem to complement each other well.

Thanks for your work.

05-21-2018, 08:24 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Enjoyed your post. In the "weird issues" section, I can't reproduce issue 2:

"Being in program M the level of under and over exposure is not shown in the live histogram or an EV bar. This also is not available on the K-1. But the K-5 emulates it and shows the impact to the image and displays a live histogram!"

In M mode, I see the over/underexposure scale on the screen in live view, and in the optical viewfinder (have to turn level off first to see it in OVF). I tried various LV settings (histogram, grid lines on, etc) and it's always there for me in M mode.
05-21-2018, 08:57 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jhankins Quote
Enjoyed your post. In the "weird issues" section, I can't reproduce issue 2:

"Being in program M the level of under and over exposure is not shown in the live histogram or an EV bar. This also is not available on the K-1. But the K-5 emulates it and shows the impact to the image and displays a live histogram!"

In M mode, I see the over/underexposure scale on the screen in live view, and in the optical viewfinder (have to turn level off first to see it in OVF). I tried various LV settings (histogram, grid lines on, etc) and it's always there for me in M mode.
When reeading my initial writing before publishing it, I changed some sentences to get it more readable. Unfortunately in this case a very important part of the sentence got lost. Thanks for reading my blog post attentivly and writing this reply!

I changed it to „Using M lenses in exposure program M the level of under and over exposure is not reflected in the live histogram or an EV bar. This also is not available on the K-1. But the K-5 emulates it and shows the impact to the image and displays a live histogram!“

@jhankins, @bkpix, @SSGGeezer, @Wingincamera: Thank you for reading my blog post and writing your comments! Today evening I‘ll have a closer look at it.

Last edited by acoufap; 05-21-2018 at 09:15 PM.
05-22-2018, 11:43 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It's evening - you get your goodnight story ...

@Wingincamera: Thank you!

@SSGGeezer: To the „Hints:“ I added this in my post: „You can assign functions to Fx buttons in Menu Camera-5 Button Customization.1 Fx1, Fx2, Fx3, AF/AE-L. Thanks for the suggestion!

Concerning your second wish I’m not sure if I interpret it correctly but like to give an answer as if asked about the photographical sense of the functions I assigned to the Fx buttons:

- Fx1: EV compensation (+/-): AE-Metering is just an automatic method to get a (hopefully) good exposure time value. In special situations the measurement may give you not the result you expect. Your main subject may become too bright or dark. If you’re somewhat experienced you know when to correct up or down the automatically measured exposure value. To do this you use EV compensation. You’ll surely find examples in the internet or old-fashioned books.

- Fx2: AE-L - the function stores a measured exposure time value. You point your camera in direction of the area you want to be exposured correctly according your AE setting (Metering Method: multi-segment, center-weighted, spot), then you push the Fx2 button. The exposure time value is stored. A star in the viewfinder / on the monitor shows that the displayed value is stored. Then you reframe / recompose according your perception and shoot.

- Fx3: optical viewfinder preview. You could also set digital preview under preview selection. That doesn’t make sense to me since I want to minimize monitor usage and love working directly in the viewfinder. What it’s for I described in my post.

Does this answer your questions sufficiently?

@bkpix: thank you! It makes me happy I could help you. And yes, I also think KP and K-1 make a good team. K-5 and K-5II are very similar so I know the transition feel from K-5 to K-1 and as I wrote although KP shares the basic concepts of K-1 you have to look very carefully how you get the direct function access you need for your shooting style. Guess for some people (also experienced ones) it could be a really discouraging experience.

Some weeks ago I studied the manual of Leicas. Compared to former and the other models the M10 got one additional hardware control - an ISO wheel! You concentrate on photography - your subject and composition. Much less disturbing tech stuff. Mainly Aperture, Exposure Time Value and ISO in direkt access. Very minimalistic user interface - I like it. Unfortunately a bit expensive and surely not appropriate for every kind of photography.

Last edited by acoufap; 05-22-2018 at 11:49 AM.
05-22-2018, 01:06 PM   #8
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
Concerning your second wish I’m not sure if I interpret it correctly but like to give an answer as if asked about the photographical sense of the functions I assigned to the Fx buttons:
Yes it does. I was just thinking you could do an entire blog post on the defaults and how that worked for you and why you chose what you did for assignment to the Fx buttons and how that has improved your shooting experience.

05-26-2018, 04:00 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Yes it does. I was just thinking you could do an entire blog post on the defaults and how that worked for you and why you chose what you did for assignment to the Fx buttons and how that has improved your shooting experience.
I now updated the "Buttons Chapter" and added additional infos why I use AF button only.

fotostellwerk.de > Pentax KP

regards, acoufap

---------- Post added 2018-05-26 at 12:12 ----------

@SSGGeezer: In my recent post I let open your question "... and how that has improved your shooting experience?"

The K-1 functions I assigned on K-P are accessible on K-1 directly. So my general shooting experience is that I use them. Since I nearly didn't shoot with KP before reconfiguring the buttons, I cannot tell how much KP experience has improved. On my first walk I of course experienced that not all functions are positioned like on K-1. So at the moment I sometimes have to think about it actively. But I'm sure this will vanish and automation will set in if I often enough go shooing with KP.

In this post I showed three images of my first walk.

Last edited by acoufap; 05-26-2018 at 04:14 AM.
05-27-2018, 01:11 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank You for your great posts and blog article.
Very informative and appreciated.
05-27-2018, 09:09 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TimR Quote
Thank You for your great posts and blog article.
Very informative and appreciated.
Feedback like yours, even if short, shows me that its worth investing time in writing such articles. Thank you very much!