Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2018, 04:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Free Tethering options for KP

Ok,

I survived K-3 without flu card, and I want to know, what is the best , or only option , because there is no so many
for tethering the KP on desktop monitor.

I can see "Image transmitter 2" but I would not buy this , even if the price is only 5 $, and not insanely 200 $

I don't want to talk about Ricoh decisions here, this fellows obviously do everything to discourage everyone to buy the camera from them.
--

I want to see other solutions, and that may include cable. But I would prefer Wi-Fi, since I get it with KP ( for free )

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-05-2018 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Corrected spelling in title & post
06-05-2018, 07:05 AM - 1 Like   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've updated your title and post to say "tethering" instead of "thetering"
06-05-2018, 07:42 AM   #3

You'll just have to see what comes from developers now that the Ricoh Pentax SDKs are out. Hopefully there are still developers who will go the "free" route.
06-05-2018, 08:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I've updated your title and post to say "tethering" instead of "thetering"

thanks Mike, my english grammar sometimes fail

---------- Post added 06-05-18 at 08:24 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
You'll just have to see what comes from developers now that the Ricoh Pentax SDKs are out. Hopefully there are still developers who will go the "free" route.

so, there is no option to Wi-Fi that to desktop for free, only APP for android ?

How about the cable? I was sure positive there is a different and free options versus Image transmitter...

06-05-2018, 08:39 AM - 1 Like   #5
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you use Lightroom? They have a free module to tether for the KP. I think over Wifi so not super fast.
06-05-2018, 08:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
yes I have Lightroom 3, but if needed I would download some newer version... I think anyway, from what I already read, LR ver 3 , does not support tethering for Pentax
06-05-2018, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #7
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Spending the cash for the upgrade to 5 or 6 might be a good thing if Lightroom is your preferred catalog and editing software. There is a windows home brew by Andreas K with links here in the forums. unless you are an Apple user, check it out.
06-05-2018, 09:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Spending the cash for the upgrade to 5 or 6 might be a good thing if Lightroom is your preferred catalog and editing software. There is a windows home brew by Andreas K with links here in the forums. unless you are an Apple user, check it out.
I would certainly check it out.

Why Pentax always offer to us some semi solutions. ?

Why Wi-Fi from camera cannot work like the Flu Card was - in some of the browsers

06-05-2018, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #9

Unfortunately the WiFi SDK is only for IOS and Android. I suppose you could use an Android or IOS emulation on your desktop. These run painfully slow on my desktop but I'm running an 8+ year old system.
06-05-2018, 09:55 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
Ok,

I survived K-3 without flu card, and I want to know, what is the best , or only option , because there is no so many
for tethering the KP on desktop monitor.

I can see "Image transmitter 2" but I would not buy this , even if the price is only 5 $, and not insanely 200 $

I don't want to talk about Ricoh decisions here, this fellows obviously do everything to discourage everyone to buy the camera from them.
--

I want to see other solutions, and that may include cable. But I would prefer Wi-Fi, since I get it with KP ( for free )
There are community-developed programs (mostly for windows) that interface with the Pentax Wi-Fi API through reverse-engineering. It's not very complicated Also, now that the Ricoh SDK is out, I'd expect more/better features over time.

Wifi Commander for Pentax is online (Windows app) - PentaxForums.com
K-S2 wifi with laptop? - Page 4 - PentaxForums.com

Still, if you're serious about tethering, there is no replacement for IT2. I know it's expensive, but such is the life of a Pentaxian who needs tethering.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-05-2018, 10:35 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thank you Adam...
--
and yes I believe the Image Transmitter 2 is good, but that kind of software Pentax should gave to their users for free... Also, the price is unbelieveble. Insane.

It looks like the Flu card was the better option...Step backward for Pentax ( once again )
06-06-2018, 07:03 AM   #12
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Unfortunately the WiFi SDK is only for IOS and Android. I suppose you could use an Android or IOS emulation on your desktop. These run painfully slow on my desktop but I'm running an 8+ year old system.
Honestly, I do think of smart phone when I hear the word "tether" ....wouldn't a direct cable be faster for desktop use???
06-07-2018, 06:53 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
the price is unbelieveble. Insane.
True. But not totally unbelievable. Nikon's similar 'Camera Control Pro II' software costs USD $150 on B&H, vs US$199 for the Pentax software.

---------- Post added 2018-06-07 at 11:56 PM ----------

It looks like the Flu card was the better option.
You should look at WiFi Commander for Pentax, if you haven't already.

---------- Post added 2018-06-08 at 12:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
wouldn't a direct cable be faster for desktop use???
Normally I would say yes, but WiFi is getting faster all the time.

WiFi devices that do 150-300Mbp/s seem common nowadays. K-1 supports wireless b/g/n so the camera could [theoretically] handle up to 300 Mbps, give or take. That may be fast enough to make RAW transfers at respectable speeds, if the WiFi gear at the user end can handle it.

Last edited by rawr; 06-07-2018 at 07:14 AM.