Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2018, 05:10 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Veteran Member

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Yes it is true. And it works in warm weather that way. My conclusion about KP is that it is a mini Nikon D3X with the grip. Both are superb long exposure devices.

06-08-2018, 05:16 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
really don't know that for KP, I must checked that, I think I was reading for K3 that mirror is UP all the time in LV, and thet could be the true for KP also.
It should be, for cameras better than entry-level...
It annoys me, because I often use LV magnification with manual lenses, and it often happenswhen I need the larger aperture because of the low light, so unnecessary movements complicate things further (say 50 @f/2, 1/8s...)
06-08-2018, 05:21 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I just opened ebay to find one more battery,

and found FORMAX BATTERY 1300 mAh. Original Pentax have 1050 mAh, and replacement I've got from my seller store is blue Max 1000 mAh.

300 mAh can make a significant difference, if this battery is a good one. It's hard to tell this days, what's rubish for sure...

I can see in the link, they're giving 12 month EU warranty, and 1300 mAh could be promising - if everything is OK

Formax Battery D-LI109 for Pentax K-r, Kr, K30, K-30, K-50, K-500 NEW 1300mAh | eBay

---------- Post added 06-08-18 at 05:30 AM ----------

amazon.com : DSTE 2x D-Li109 Replacement Li-ion Battery for Pentax K-R K-30 K-50 K-500 KR K30 K50 K500 K-S1 K-S2 K-70 K-1 Camera : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

look at this one -

This one has 2100 mAh ! Doubled !

Last edited by panonski; 06-08-2018 at 07:41 AM.
06-08-2018, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

My guess is that 2100mAh battery is about 800mAh in reality. There is no free lunch. Just compare weight (and price) to the original. Something has to give.

06-08-2018, 07:22 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
My guess is that 2100mAh battery is about 800mAh in reality. There is no free lunch. Just compare weight (and price) to the original. Something has to give.
Yes my friend, it's hard to guess is it true or false ....
06-08-2018, 07:36 AM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

All I can found is 390 shots in CIPA standard and with Optical VF, but for Live View performance, there is no data. ( or it is ? )
That may be because live view performance is heavily dependent on screen brightness and how much time is spent fiddling around and drinking coffee. I have always found my K-3 to be deficient for battery capacity in live view and always carry two spare batteries as a result.

Steve
06-08-2018, 07:37 AM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The grip is a requirement in cold conditions, not an option.
Either that or an external power pack.

Steve

06-08-2018, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Excellent point. I use Wasabi in rotation with the genuine Pentax and there is no way they deliver 2300mAh. They also weigh less than the genuine.

Steve
06-08-2018, 08:26 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

I have a K-30 which I'm running off AA batteries - the D-Li109 stays in a drawer at home.
I hardly ever have to change batteries "in the field".
Apparently, I'm the sort of guy the KP was built for.
06-09-2018, 12:05 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I have a K-30 which I'm running off AA batteries - the D-Li109 stays in a drawer at home.
I hardly ever have to change batteries "in the field".
Apparently, I'm the sort of guy the KP was built for.
Which brand? the usual Eneloops?
06-09-2018, 06:05 AM - 3 Likes   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
KP was on his first mission last night.

I photograph dark disco space, with a many Live View mode, and with KP flash triggering my slave flash, in my hand. ( it's a technique I love to use when shooting people on events )
Kp was easy to handle. I pair it with also new Pentax 18-50 f4-5.6 little zoom and made a very sweet light combo

So, with LV almost all the time ON - at least 70 % pics, ( I was watching to not overuse it - and I tried to camera turning ON - just, and when I want to shoot )

and Flash discharging in, at least 40 % pics with approximate usual manual value at 1/64

I was able to make 504 shoots with one full charged Pentax battery.

This is solid result . I can live with that.

I do also think that this battery is not yet on its full capacity power, because I charged it - and discharged only 5-6 times .

Last edited by panonski; 06-09-2018 at 11:06 AM.
06-09-2018, 06:15 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Wow... really solid indeed... and that's the second report of good battery life if we consider the one from Majakovskij (with the grip)
Looks like Ricoh have found a way/ways of optimizing battery life even when using the lower capacity D-Li109.
The (at least my) question now is: why didn't they advertise that properly?
06-09-2018, 06:42 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Wow... really solid indeed... and that's the second report of good battery life if we consider the one from Majakovskij (with the grip)
Looks like Ricoh have found a way/ways of optimizing battery life even when using the lower capacity D-Li109.

I still don't think this battery is good enough, specially after what I have read about cycle life in lower tempuratures, and marketing advertising in way - how good this battery is, would be almost false.

CIPA standard is pretty correct.

I do think Pentax can do MORE to increase this battery life, with several things .

In LIve View you have Cling Clang thing to review shoots in Play mode, or to enter the MENU. Solving that would increase battery life, at least 5-10 %

I would also consider in future firmware option for minimal time to trigger Stand By, which is now set to 1 minute

Here it can be one more option with 1/2 minute and just LCD off, not real standby, with mirror clang.

That could increase the speed from waking up to almost instantly and faster then it is now,

and also it could decrease battery discharge.
06-11-2018, 05:12 PM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

KP was on his first mission last night.

I photograph dark disco space, with a many Live View mode, and with KP flash triggering my slave flash, in my hand. ( it's a technique I love to use when shooting people on events )
Kp was easy to handle. I pair it with also new Pentax 18-50 f4-5.6 little zoom and made a very sweet light combo

So, with LV almost all the time ON - at least 70 % pics, ( I was watching to not overuse it - and I tried to camera turning ON - just, and when I want to shoot )

and Flash discharging in, at least 40 % pics with approximate usual manual value at 1/64

I was able to make 504 shoots with one full charged Pentax battery.

This is solid result . I can live with that.

I do also think that this battery is not yet on its full capacity power, because I charged it - and discharged only 5-6 times .
Good to see the little battery can keep going for long. One thing I noticed when using the battery on my K-50, Pentax OEM battery lasts longer than 3rd party with more capacity.

Pentax 18-50 f4-5.6 little zoom - what do you think about this lens? Is it fast with focusing speed?
06-11-2018, 05:29 PM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

Found the standard battery went fairly fast in the grip while doing JPG only Astro photography with LV on for about 2-3 hours, but the in body battery was still near max after that, and Astro tracer was running the whole time. Body only turned off for lens changes.
When I saw the battery indicator in the red after 2+ hours I was shocked, then after I kept shooting long exposures, it went to full when it switched over to the in body battery. (Both were the smaller standard KP batteries. one aftermarket, one Pentax.)

---------- Post added 06-11-18 at 05:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
KP does not accept AA battery packs, only the D-L109 standard and that or the D-L190 in the battery grip. There is an adapter for the smaller 109 battery that comes with the grip.