Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 36 Likes Search this Thread
06-08-2018, 02:39 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
battery life for Pentax KP

Battery life for Pentax KP is not well documented.
I'm searching for LIve View performance, and also the performance with flash . If someone here tried just that mode, to see how much shoots can be done, it would be nice to compare.
Mine is still in phase 1, where the batteries must come to their full capacity, after 3-5 firts charges.

All I can found is 390 shots in CIPA standard and with Optical VF, but for Live View performance, there is no data. ( or it is ? )

I presume , that Live View with flash ON ( lets say, 1/32 power ) , and with little ongoing looking through LCD without shooting, cannot last longer then 390 shots.

My new KP came with 2 batteries. One original, one replacement. It's my usual procedure to have 2 batteries right from the start.

I have a feeling, the KP could be the first camera which forced me to buy another one spare battery, to have at least 3 of them, because I have a filing every time I turn on LIve View, it would run out of the juice every minute. Not particular good feeling.

Last edited by panonski; 08-17-2018 at 06:09 PM.
06-08-2018, 03:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There was a thread not long ago here, where a forum user was complaining of the shorter battery life of the K-1II compared to the K-1, and he talked about the KP as well.
The thing was that the KP had the image processor as well, but battery life with a D-Li90 (in the grip, if I understood it correctly, since it normally uses D-Li109) was very good, better than can't remeber which K-3 variant.

With the D-Li109 things are bound to be worse, I believe.
I have a K-30, and since before I was shooting with a K-01 I can feel the difference.
I think Pentax shouldn't have ever released that battery model... weight savings don't justify its abysmal performance...

Edit:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/366733-pentax-k-1-mk2-bat...ion-rates.html
but no LV/flash data... I remebered there were some unusual at play, but it was long (60s) exposures (posts #18 and #20 in that thread)
06-08-2018, 03:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Ya! D-li90 is superb option with KP. Much recommended if grip is not an issue. Live view performance will be extended to well over an hour in constant use.
06-08-2018, 04:04 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
If I was wanted the grip, I would not bought KP

Thing is, Live View is a battery eater. With OVF and LCD off, I can handle much more shots, and I'm not in any worry, but with LV on, I would certainly must buy one more battery.

06-08-2018, 04:08 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

It is not that simple. If you go shooting in subzero temp the default battery fails in an instant and live view is not even required for that to happen. The grip is a requirement in cold conditions, not an option.
06-08-2018, 04:10 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
If I was wanted the grip, I would not bought KP

Thing is, Live View is a battery eater. With OVF and LCD off, I can handle much more shots, and I'm not in any worry, but with LV on, I would certainly must buy one more battery.
If yer wanted battery life, yer should not of bought KP

Don't know about DLSRs, but last year I managed 463 shots in a single day on a single charge with my K-01.
LV only, of course. Battery? a two-and-a-half old D-Li90, the one that came with the camera, and the only one I ever used.
06-08-2018, 04:14 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
It is not that simple. If you go shooting in subzero temp the default battery fails in an instant and live view is not even required for that to happen. The grip is a requirement in cold conditions, not an option.

mmmm that's very promising.

I know battery in subzero can last shorter then expected, but your statement is really discouraging

06-08-2018, 04:16 AM - 3 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought the KP for compactness. A spare D-Li109 doesn't take up much space.

Now I'm planning to take it as my backup/telephoto option in Antarctica, so I've just bought the battery grip where the D-Li90 will be ideal for long days in cold temperatures.

It's nice to have both options.
06-08-2018, 04:21 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
If yer wanted battery life, yer should not of bought KP
hear hear

YES, YOU'RE RIGHT!

That mistake I would never do again.

QuoteQuote:
Don't know about DLSRs, but last year I managed 463 shots in a single day on a single charge with my K-01.
LV only, of course. Battery? a two-and-a-half old D-Li90, the one that came with the camera, and the only one I ever used.
Hmmm.... Finally some numbers at last

That battery is good enough, but shortter than that is just a pain.

I do believe, Pentax should implement some "battery saving" features ... But knowning them, and their development in firmware releases, it would never happened
06-08-2018, 04:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
Hmmm.... Finally some numbers at last

That battery is good enough, but shortter than that is just a pain.

I do believe, Pentax should implement some "battery saving" features ... But knowning them, and their development in firmware releases, it would never happened
That's for the D-Li90 though... I don't get much battery life on the K-30 (but both batteries are from the previous owner... one Pentax and one Patona), and I believe numbers could be off... the K-30 does mirror down-up-shoot-down-up when shooting from LV, I believe the KP just keeps the mirror up? That could be a factor when comparing battery life.
Also, the K-01 has no mirror to move, even if only to get in LV, just the shutter.
06-08-2018, 04:30 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

I found that -5C is a limit after which the d-li109 battery voltage starts dropping quickly and camera reports low battery quite soon. If one then warms up the battery and reinserts in the camera the charge goes up for a short while and then plummets again.

For fun: Take fully charged d-li109 to -20C and watch charge drop to 0 in 10 minutes without taking a single picture.

D-li90 has far larger capacity and takes -30C like a champ.
06-08-2018, 04:31 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
I believe the KP just keeps the mirror up? That could be a factor when comparing battery life.
Also, the K-01 has no mirror to move, even if only to get in LV, just the shutter.
really don't know that for KP, I must checked that, I think I was reading for K3 that mirror is UP all the time in LV, and thet could be the true for KP also.
06-08-2018, 04:34 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

KP has a physical switch which activates "mirrorless" mode. The camera then stays in live view right from the start. Constant M-UP.
06-08-2018, 04:37 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
I found that -5C is a limit after which the d-li109 battery voltage starts dropping quickly and camera reports low battery quite soon. If one then warms up the battery and reinserts in the camera the charge goes up for a short while and then plummets again.
LOL, KP NEEDS A BLANKET

QuoteQuote:
For fun: Take fully charged d-li109 to -20C and watch charge drop to 0 in 10 minutes without taking a single picture.

D-li90 has far larger capacity and takes -30C like a champ.
PENTAXXXXX !!!

I love true experiance, instead of marketing claims.

Pentax is WR camera, and they advertise it like it could be used in cca -10 Celsius. If the battery could not match at least 50 pics, in such temperature, that's just false claims.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-10-2018 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Brand-bashing
06-08-2018, 04:47 AM - 3 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

A KP + 2 spare batteries is both lighter and has longer total battery life than a K-3 with no spare batteries. And it seems like the grip adds as much weight as 4 spare batteries.