Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 36 Likes Search this Thread
06-11-2018, 06:03 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
KP does not accept AA battery packs
That is a bummer.

06-11-2018, 11:31 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
KP does not accept AA battery packs, only the D-L109 standard and that or the D-L190 in the battery grip. There is an adapter for the smaller 109 battery that comes with the grip.
uh... perhaps you were replying to reh? I didn't suggest you could.
06-12-2018, 06:04 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
uh... perhaps you were replying to reh? I didn't suggest you could.
Oops! Wrong click spot. I have done that a few times this week. Sorry.. I think REH is following this so it should be OK.
06-30-2018, 04:02 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Yep, having issues with battery as well...

Отправлено с моего Redmi 3 через Tapatalk

06-30-2018, 11:15 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Belcik Quote
Yep, having issues with battery as well...

Отправлено с моего Redmi 3 через Tapatalk
Pentax or third party? Battery Grip or not. More information is needed.

I get lots of use with the standard battery shooting daylight IBIS enabled, and not using the OS that is built in to any of my lenses. When I do it eats the batteries, even with the grip mounted.
07-01-2018, 04:18 AM - 1 Like   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I wonder how much of a "problem" battery life is in real life. I was on vacation for 10 days and had no issues with battery life. As I'd done with other cameras, I'd swap batteries daily, recharging the used battery at night along with my cell phone.

Regarding sub zero - is there really a big issue with amateur photographers spending hours in sub zero (F) weather needing needing reliable camera operation? People who actually spend time in that type of cold already know to leave batteries in their pocket until they are ready to use them.

I suppose it's all a matter of perspective. I remember film cameras that needed a roll of film being swapped out every 36 shots. That entailed finding a shady spot and threading the leading edge of the film onto the roller. Every 36 shots.
07-01-2018, 09:35 AM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
I wonder how much of a "problem" battery life is in real life. I was on vacation for 10 days and had no issues with battery life. As I'd done with other cameras, I'd swap batteries daily, recharging the used battery at night along with my cell phone.

Regarding sub zero - is there really a big issue with amateur photographers spending hours in sub zero (F) weather needing needing reliable camera operation? People who actually spend time in that type of cold already know to leave batteries in their pocket until they are ready to use them.

I suppose it's all a matter of perspective. I remember film cameras that needed a roll of film being swapped out every 36 shots. That entailed finding a shady spot and threading the leading edge of the film onto the roller. Every 36 shots.
Roger, it really depends how heavily you shoot, holidays or not.
I remember my first stay in Japan, I was taking 500 to 1000 pics everyday. I dont own a KP so I dont know how it would handle this kind of volume but my k-x required 2 or 3 battery swaps per day.

07-01-2018, 09:55 AM - 2 Likes   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
Roger, it really depends how heavily you shoot, holidays or not.
I remember my first stay in Japan, I was taking 500 to 1000 pics everyday. I dont own a KP so I dont know how it would handle this kind of volume but my k-x required 2 or 3 battery swaps per day.
Unless they were most using flash you would need only 1 change with the KP, based on my experience so far. With the grip, no changes with either sized battery in the grip. (Just no lens OS that eats power when on.) I have shot about 700 in a day with the grip turned on at least most of the time and did not need to go to in body battery till I was doing some Astro with Live view on and lots of long exposures.
07-05-2018, 10:02 PM - 3 Likes   #39
Forum Member

The battery issue is somewhat of a bummer from what Ive read , but not in real life from what Ive actually experienced.
However did you ever think that if they used the LI90 our KP cameras might also be bigger ?
In 70+ days of travel I used LV quite a bit , shot anywhere from 10-300+ images a day , and I always just carried two extras with me (DSTE) , and 2 in the charger back on ship or resort room.
Only once did I even change a battery that was depleted under shooting during the day.
I solved any problem I might encounter just by simply buying 6 DSTE batteries for less than $45 shipped from Amazon. Problem solved Haha.

So Theoretical and Hypothetical situations on paper may have you wanting for More. But real world usage shows its just fine unless you live in Antarctica , or shoot Astro for extremely long periods in a setting.

Remember , Im from a generation that only got 24-35 images from Film. And Film takes 20 times as long to load than a simple battery change.

I absolutely love my KP's and am quite sure they will be my very last cameras as stated before.

---------- Post added 07-05-18 at 10:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote

Exactly Right above.

---------- Post added 07-05-18 at 10:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
I just opened ebay to find one more battery,

and found FORMAX BATTERY 1300 mAh. Original Pentax have 1050 mAh, and replacement I've got from my seller store is blue Max 1000 mAh.

300 mAh can make a significant difference, if this battery is a good one. It's hard to tell this days, what's rubish for sure...

I can see in the link, they're giving 12 month EU warranty, and 1300 mAh could be promising - if everything is OK

Formax Battery D-LI109 for Pentax K-r, Kr, K30, K-30, K-50, K-500 NEW 1300mAh | eBay

---------- Post added 06-08-18 at 05:30 AM ----------

amazon.com : DSTE 2x D-Li109 Replacement Li-ion Battery for Pentax K-R K-30 K-50 K-500 KR K30 K50 K500 K-S1 K-S2 K-70 K-1 Camera : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

look at this one -

This one has 2100 mAh ! Doubled !
This is what I used and also Rony has used for several years on his K-30 and K-3II. DSTE is at least consistant , and neither of us can tell a bit of difference from the Pentax branded ones. I got 6 extras for less than $45 shipped. All have been used quite a bit in my KP's.

---------- Post added 07-05-18 at 10:22 PM ----------

KP was on his first mission last night.

I photograph dark disco space, with a many Live View mode, and with KP flash triggering my slave flash, in my hand. ( it's a technique I love to use when shooting people on events )
Kp was easy to handle. I pair it with also new Pentax 18-50 f4-5.6 little zoom and made a very sweet light combo

So, with LV almost all the time ON - at least 70 % pics, ( I was watching to not overuse it - and I tried to camera turning ON - just, and when I want to shoot )

and Flash discharging in, at least 40 % pics with approximate usual manual value at 1/64

I was able to make 504 shoots with one full charged Pentax battery.

This is solid result . I can live with that.

I do also think that this battery is not yet on its full capacity power, because I charged it - and discharged only 5-6 times .
Just about same results here. Thank you for confirming what I already suspected.I never did an actual image count , but thought it well over 400+ one day , just afraid to falely state that without knowing specifics.

Last edited by HelenJo; 07-05-2018 at 10:12 PM.
07-06-2018, 12:48 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Battery can last 400 shoots for sure, but one thing is annoying here, and it kind of put me in unsecure feeling. It's a battery status icon. It would be nice to see percentage because when you have - let's say - 150 shoots to go,
your battery level, could be in yellow, or even red zone.

I experienced that in red level, you can shoot maybe even 50 photos.

for a battery with 400 maximum, 50 shoots is significant, but you gone feel "ahhh, my battery would died soon, should I change it, or not "
07-06-2018, 12:58 AM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member

Battery can last 400 shoots for sure, but one thing is annoying here, and it kind of put me in unsecure feeling. It's a battery status icon. It would be nice to see percentage because when you have - let's say - 150 shoots to go,
your battery level, could be in yellow, or even red zone.

I experienced that in red level, you can shoot maybe even 50 photos.

for a battery with 400 maximum, 50 shoots is significant, but you gone feel "ahhh, my battery would died soon, should I change it, or not "
Very true, I experienced that with my k-x at the time pentax did not update embedded software yet.
After some tens of shots battery status was already orange with no clear understanding of how many pics it had in the tank. Thankfully update kind of solved this issue ; a percentage would be much more accurate indeed.
07-11-2018, 07:51 PM   #42
Veteran Member

I got over 300 on a 3rd party battery while leaving the camera on due to difficulties herding relatives into place for multiple family group shots and still stayed out of the red even though I also used a lot of flash as the master for my off camera flash. Using the camera in more natural lighting while shooting the day before, I shot over 450 images and the OEM battery showed as a small notch below full when I went in and charged. Light flash use that day, (20% perhaps,) with on board flash.
07-28-2018, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #43
f22

I like the KP for what it does well, and I don't dwell on what it doesn't do as well. And as all camera have their shortcomings, battery life isn't considered excellent in a KP, but depending on how you prefer to operate it, YMMV. So what is so difficult about carrying an extra charged battery (or two) around in pocket? Any camera using LV and flash (especially at full power) will have reduced shot capacity, you can't find any camera where that will not be true.

Number of shots isn't my top criteria for a camera, many other things are way more important. I love the high ISO performance of that sensor, and the fast AF compared to other Pentax bodies I have. The extra $45 for a battery isn't a reason to discount the KP, because in so many ways it is a terrific camera. Or you can spend an extra $1000 for a camera that will give you 20% more shots of battery life, versus spending $45 for 100% more shots.

I took it to Rome and Venice and shot over 3500 photos with NO flash and 5 battery recharge cycles in 5 days. Except for 4 shots, that had a 128,000 ISO, the amount of noise in the other 3500 pictures was nonexistent. Had I paid attention to the ISO on those 4 shots, I would have maybe used fill flash on them, my mistake.

I will say, I tend to use OVF about 80% of the time and LV for the other 20% of shots where i'm holding the camera above me or away from my eye, on a monopod with my camera app.

Last edited by f22; 07-29-2018 at 06:38 AM.
07-30-2018, 01:23 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Took 1794 images during my trip to Finland and Estonia. Battery (D-LI90) still shows full charge.
I had spares and chargers with me but never needed them.
07-31-2018, 07:41 AM   #45

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Took 1794 images during my trip to Finland and Estonia. Battery (D-LI90) still shows full charge.
I had spares and chargers with me but never needed them.
What kind of magic have you used?