Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2018, 03:40 PM   #1

Question about KP and Sigma 18-35mm

Hello all, I'm new to the forum so forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask such a question.

I have been interested in the sigma 18-35mm lens for some time, but my friend owns it and a pentax k3, and had to send it back several times for calibration and never seemed to resolve the issue. I have read multiple users have had the same issue. does anyone know if this has been resolved in the KP? did it have something to do with the k3 AF system? or was it more the lens error? because the darn thing is seems to be highly praised by canikon shooters, so there has to be some weird hocus pocus going on with the pentax version? haha.

thank you all for your time

06-12-2018, 03:45 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pavell Quote
Hello all, I'm new to the forum so forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask such a question.

I have been interested in the sigma 18-35mm lens for some time, but my friend owns it and a pentax k3, and had to send it back several times for calibration and never seemed to resolve the issue. I have read multiple users have had the same issue. does anyone know if this has been resolved in the KP? did it have something to do with the k3 AF system? or was it more the lens error? because the darn thing is seems to be highly praised by canikon shooters, so there has to be some weird hocus pocus going on with the pentax version? haha.

thank you all for your time
It's a problem with the lens. You may get lucky and pick up a good copy, or you may get unlucky and get a copy that's plagued with AF issues. Your best bet would be to purchase the lens from a store with a good return policy, so that you can return or exchange the lens if needed.

You can also tweak the AF calibration using the Sigma dock. Sometimes this is sufficient.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-12-2018, 03:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Wasnt it a lens problem originally ? Calibration on recent sigma lenses is sometimes an issue but I am surprised several services didnt solve the problem. What was their finding ?
06-12-2018, 06:08 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nikon and canon have the same problem with this lens. Many have no problems some hate it. Mine is great except in low light.