Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 75 Likes Search this Thread
06-13-2018, 08:14 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Why no good deals on the KP lately ?

I have been waiting to sell my backup K3II for a couple months now , and have been holding off because there doesn't seem to be any good promotions going on anywhere on the KP ?
Seems like everything is rather Flat and Stagnant as far as pricing goes on not only the KP , but most of Pentax bodies and lenses ?
Have I missed the Boat so to speak ?
Getting rather frustrated trying to save some money , but as soon as I jump in then it will go on sale , or Rebate somewhere...….

06-13-2018, 08:43 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There's always black friday and cyber monday...
More seriously, I think they started a new pricing philosophy, in line with the rest of the camera market, as many big players are trying to work with smaller volumes, but higher profit margin.

The KP is also a lot of camera for the money, and while it probably didn't sell worldwide quite as expected, in Japan sales are not so bad - judging from the rankings of online shops at least.
That, coupled with the fact that the K-3 successor is still far away, doesn't seem to make a fire sale likely.
So I'd expect just little price fluctuations in the near future.
This is obviously just my opinion, based on the few things I know. I don't want to teach anything to anybody.
06-13-2018, 08:57 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yuh - the K-1 held it's value - actually went up in price - all the way to the the mark ii arriving - it's really down to vendor negotiated sales - srs in the UK is running a 9% off coupon code on the KP for the next couple of months, but that's not the sort of thing that makes you press the trigger - on the whole, lenses seem to have more radical cuts than bodies on Black Friday etc - maybe the margins really are that tight.
06-13-2018, 09:32 AM - 5 Likes   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
I have been waiting to sell my backup K3II for a couple months now , and have been holding off because there doesn't seem to be any good promotions going on anywhere on the KP ?
Seems like everything is rather Flat and Stagnant as far as pricing goes on not only the KP , but most of Pentax bodies and lenses ?
Have I missed the Boat so to speak ?
Getting rather frustrated trying to save some money , but as soon as I jump in then it will go on sale , or Rebate somewhere...….
The KP is just $20 above its historical low right now, at B&H. Also $200 below the launch price. I'd say that's a good deal!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-13-2018, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The KP is just $20 above its historical low right now, at B&H. Also $200 below the launch price. I'd say that's a good deal!
And worth it Ron! maybe not a huge step up from your KP since it is weaker in some ways, but it is still a joy to shoot and see what you captured later when you download the images.
06-13-2018, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
And worth it Ron! maybe not a huge step up from your KP since it is weaker in some ways, but it is still a joy to shoot and see what you captured later when you download the images.
You "lose" top LCD and long bursts ... but I don't use either, so the KP is a better choice for someone like me.
06-13-2018, 11:58 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
True thinking about it.

---------- Post added 06-13-18 at 11:59 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Ive been using one for about 3 months and love it !

---------- Post added 06-13-18 at 12:04 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
You "lose" top LCD and long bursts ... but I don't use either, so the KP is a better choice for someone like me.
I borrowed a KP from my neighbor and fellow forum member (HelenJo) nearly 2 months ago and love it !
However she returns at some point I have to give it back.....I DONT WANT TO !
Any chance a Cruise ship can get lost at Sea Indefinitely ?

06-13-2018, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Reminds me of the ending of Love in the Time of Cholera by G. G. Marquez...
06-13-2018, 12:11 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Reminds me of the ending of Love in the Time of Cholera by G. G. Marquez...
Lol.….I will have to Read that !
HelenJo was supposed to be back nearly a Month ago......a short email says "change of Itinerary" and a month later...…...Nothing ?
Her Dog now hates me , and the camera has 5400 clicks...….lol.
At some point I might have to claim this KP by Default......But I want a NEW Camera....not a loaner with 5400 clicks !

BTW......She has 4 of them now.....lol !
06-13-2018, 01:06 PM - 3 Likes   #10
Veteran Member

Exact same finding here, I missed a fire deal 2 months ago where a French retailer was selling a couple of new KPs for 650 EUR.
That is the kind of price for a no brainer buy in my opinion...
06-14-2018, 09:53 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BTW......She has 4 of them now.....lol !
Just keep feeding the dog and shooting with the KP...
06-15-2018, 05:13 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
--

I borrowed a KP from my neighbor and fellow forum member (HelenJo) nearly 2 months ago and love it !
However she returns at some point I have to give it back.....I DONT WANT TO !
Was it a three hour tour?
06-15-2018, 07:06 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Veteran Member

I paid early adopter price and never regretted doing so.
06-18-2018, 02:08 AM - 2 Likes   #14

Cheap Kp in Oz

I picked up a KP in Oz from the distributor who was running a 3 day special for $AUD999. Equivalent to about $US710. That was a couple of weeks ago. Also picked up a K1 MkII for equivalent of $US1,700 - I couldn't resist. Compared to my old K3, which my idiot nephew dropped (autofocus not working unless you press the AF button), the KP is a real step up and the K1 MkII is simply outstanding.
Ebay was offering a 20% discount code for an Ebay discounter (official Australian reseller) so I also picked up a DFA 18-105 and a Sigma 8-16 at attractive prices. Yep, it has been an expensive month. There goes my pocket money for the next 6 months.
06-18-2018, 07:52 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Essdubbya Quote
I picked up a KP in Oz from the distributor who was running a 3 day special for $AUD999. Equivalent to about $US710. That was a couple of weeks ago. Also picked up a K1 MkII for equivalent of $US1,700 - I couldn't resist. Compared to my old K3, which my idiot nephew dropped (autofocus not working unless you press the AF button), the KP is a real step up and the K1 MkII is simply outstanding.
Ebay was offering a 20% discount code for an Ebay discounter (official Australian reseller) so I also picked up a DFA 18-105 and a Sigma 8-16 at attractive prices. Yep, it has been an expensive month. There goes my pocket money for the next 6 months.
This KP price is very attractive, great pick up Monsieur!