Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-03-2018, 08:17 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Going from a biplane to a jet should I ?

Ok am 70 but inside a lot younger. I started with a K-1000,lens an all. Upgraded to a Pentax D-110 now its a good camera am using all of my old lens from my K-1000 days, but am getting too my bucket list. I was thinking a new Pentax KP. Now is this a easy learn or am I thinking way over the top, What's the learning curve ? Ok... that's open to interpretation my friend say my glass is a third full. Maybe this is a stupid question. I was Engineer tech R/D nonstandard testing.

07-03-2018, 08:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I upgraded from a K100D to a K3 a few years back, and, while a bit dificult at first, i got used to it pretty fast. Once you get used to the menu structure, and create your own custom settings(these changed my life), it's a breeze. If you have problems i am sure the folk here will have an answer for you.

The only problem is that if you do not have high quality lenses (a lot of vintaget lenses are) you do not use the body at it's full potential (it's like working out but skipping leg day).

My advice is do it, the KP is a really nice camera (my gf has one), but beware the LBA!
07-03-2018, 08:29 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Camera wise yes there is a learning curve but not that bad. There are lots of features but remember you can just ignore most of the new stuff and still take pictures just like on your D-110 then learn new features as you want.

The big difference I think between K-1000 and digital is the computer side. How do you store/view/print/sort/use those pictures. Since you have already made the move to digital I assume you have conquered that hurdle already.

I'm not 70 but not far behind and I'm still learning and growing. Just got a K-1 last year and having fun learning astrophotography.
07-03-2018, 08:36 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The newer camera mainly has more options. My transition from k100d to k50 was pretty easy. The advanced features can wait for you to decide you need them, they lie dormant mostly unless you use them.

07-03-2018, 09:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

One thing to know in advance is that 24mp images are quite a bit larger than what you're getting currently, so if you have a small hard drive you may fill it up quickly. Think around 10-15 MB per jpeg and 30MB for RAW. (45 MB if you shoot raw+jpeg, but that's a debate for another topic.) You can get a 2TB USB hard drive for $70 though, so that's an easy fix.

If you're processing raw files you'll find that the larger files will take longer to process as well, but if you make adjustments all at once and leave your computer to export overnight that shouldn't matter too much.

I'm sure you'll love the KP though. Definitely look at setting up custom user modes. My favorite thing is that after I've changed settings I can turn the camera off / on and have my favourite defaults reloaded instantly.

---------- Post added 07-03-18 at 11:21 AM ----------

Another note is that the higher resolution will SEEM to amplify flaws in lenses, technique, noise, and focus if you zoom in to 100% on your computer, so just be mindful of that.

When the K-3 first came out with 24MP some people thought the auto focus wasn't that good, etc. but it was just because the resolution allows you to zoom in further and see when something is slightly out of focus or blurry or noisy where before it was hidden by the lower resolution of earlier cameras. When viewed at intended magnification you should only see improvements with a KP.

Last edited by TheOneAndOnlyJH; 07-03-2018 at 09:12 AM.
07-03-2018, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, I know what 70 is like- been there and done that, but I wouldn't mind going backwards to it! It is the way you feel and what you can do that counts. You'll be making a huge jump by going to a KP, and with a little acclamation, you will be very impressed- just get an up-to-date, quality lens! As others said, you cannot take advantage of many, many features of what you are buying with the old manual lenses on it.

First do an assessment of the focal lengths you mostly use, and this will give you a clue as to a lens to consider. Also, remember that the design of the KP very much favors a compact ensemble. It does not have to be so, but my point is, take advantage of what the body offers. When using a modern lens, don't shoot in the"Green" Auto mode, use the "P" mode if you want fully automated exposure. And, be sure to go into the Custom Image menus to implement Fine Sharpening.

For an all-around use zoom lens, these come to mind: the DA 20-40mm DC WR f/2.8-4 Limited. This lens represents the optimum the KP was designed for. Extremely high quality build with WR, but compact. Very fine imaging.

For a lot more zoom range, the DA 18-135mm DC WR f/3.5-5.6 is amazingly compact for such a zoom range, has very good to excellent imaging, very well built, and offers very fast, accurate, quiet AF. It can keep to f/3.5-4.5 out to 70mm.

Then for a super-compact prime to complement the zoom lens, the DA 15 MM f/4 Limited is incredible.

You could add a DA 50mm f/1.8 for low light work, and for getting an extra shallow depth of field as a fine portrait lens. It is not costly.

If you need something special like fast f/2.8 zoom lenses, that is a whole other discussion. For instance, the DA* 50-135mm is top notch, and compact for what it is, offering a similar field of view as a 70-200mm f/2.8 on a 35mm film body like the K-1000.

I am a good bit beyond 70, but I bought a silver/black KP last year and liked it so much, this year I bought a second body!

Last edited by mikesbike; 07-03-2018 at 12:17 PM.
07-03-2018, 12:38 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm a tad older than you but still young at heart. I believe the KP would be a great step up, as would be the K-3 II (silver model), which is on sale at Adorama for $739. Both are quality cameras that would serve you well.. Whatever camera you decide on, I'd highly recommend you purchase an e-book which is available through this site. There are a plethora of great lenses. I own the DA 20-40mm Limited and it's great, highly recommended. Also recommend the DA 300mm/f4. There are others that I have no experience with that are also great. You can rely on forum members to direct you to what you need, based on your preferences in shooting. Keep an open mind and do your research and I'm sure you will find what is right for you. Feel free to ask any questions, I'm sure you'll get great advise.

07-03-2018, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

I agree with Mikesbike on a bunch of those. (You don't have to buy any new lenses, but he's right about some old lenses showing their age on these newest 24MP cameras.)

The 18-135 is a great do-anything lens in good light, and it has the best auto focus performance of any of my lenses. The 55-300 PLM is a perfect compliment for a long range lens and is said to be the fastest focusing Pentax lens. (I only have the old 55-300)

For medium and low light I love my f/2.8 combo: Tamron 17-50 (Sigma when I need quiet focusing*) paired with the Pentax 50-135. I just used these over the weekend at a wedding and I love 'em. The output of the 50-135 is probably my favorite of all of my lenses.

For ultra low light, the cheap 50mm f/1.8 is great. That's the one I always pull out around the campfire, I just have to remember to step back. (My 35mm f/2.4 is a better field of view on APS-C, but f/1.8 is more useful when it's that dark.)

*Pentax 16-50 is a great lens too and has Weather Resistance (WR), but it's more expensive to begin with and is known for SDM issues so I passed. The Sigma 17-50 has quiet AF but sometimes overexposes unexpectedly in certain lighting. The Tamron 17-50 is my workhorse, but the screw drive AF can be distracting, which is why I kept the Sigma for when I need quiet AF. (I bought both used at very good prices.) They're all great lenses though, so pick the one that fits your style.

Last edited by TheOneAndOnlyJH; 07-03-2018 at 12:50 PM.
07-03-2018, 07:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TheOneAndOnlyJH Quote
I agree with Mikesbike on a bunch of those. (You don't have to buy any new lenses, but he's right about some old lenses showing their age on these newest 24MP cameras.)

The 18-135 is a great do-anything lens in good light, and it has the best auto focus performance of any of my lenses. The 55-300 PLM is a perfect compliment for a long range lens and is said to be the fastest focusing Pentax lens. (I only have the old 55-300)

For medium and low light I love my f/2.8 combo: Tamron 17-50 (Sigma when I need quiet focusing*) paired with the Pentax 50-135. I just used these over the weekend at a wedding and I love 'em. The output of the 50-135 is probably my favorite of all of my lenses.

For ultra low light, the cheap 50mm f/1.8 is great. That's the one I always pull out around the campfire, I just have to remember to step back. (My 35mm f/2.4 is a better field of view on APS-C, but f/1.8 is more useful when it's that dark.)

*Pentax 16-50 is a great lens too and has Weather Resistance (WR), but it's more expensive to begin with and is known for SDM issues so I passed. The Sigma 17-50 has quiet AF but sometimes overexposes unexpectedly in certain lighting. The Tamron 17-50 is my workhorse, but the screw drive AF can be distracting, which is why I kept the Sigma for when I need quiet AF. (I bought both used at very good prices.) They're all great lenses though, so pick the one that fits your style.
I love many (read, All) of my lenses but the 50-135 is pretty sweet as it is a * lens. ANy of the 55-300mm pentax zooms are good with the KP but the PLM model is amazing as many here can show you. Go for the KP, it is amazing kit!
07-03-2018, 08:16 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Incidentally, in what area of Michigan do you live?