Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2018, 08:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Best wired shutter release for KP

Since Ive had my first KP for about a week now , Im curios as to how KP owners are working around using a remote shutter release ?
Im having a hard time finding a wired shutter release ?
Is there a wireless setup anywhere ?
Whats everyone using ?
I have a Velo Freeware transmitter , but I don't think an adapter can be found for it to use on the KP.
Im rather frustrated and confused right now.

07-12-2018, 09:06 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
Since Ive had my first KP for about a week now , Im curios as to how KP owners are working around using a remote shutter release ?
Im having a hard time finding a wired shutter release ?
Is there a wireless setup anywhere ?
Whats everyone using ?
I have a Velo Freeware transmitter , but I don't think an adapter can be found for it to use on the KP.
Im rather frustrated and confused right now.
I do not have the KP, Ron, but I think it is compatible with all recent Pentax DSLRs so you can use the phone app (both Pentax and the user developed one) an IR remote control which Pentax makes and there are several wired options on Amazon. Maybe start there or B&H first for the best selection. I stopped using wired remotes when I moved to digital.
07-12-2018, 09:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I do not have the KP, Ron, but I think it is compatible with all recent Pentax DSLRs so you can use the phone app (both Pentax and the user developed one) an IR remote control which Pentax makes and there are several wired options on Amazon. Maybe start there or B&H first for the best selection. I stopped using wired remotes when I moved to digital.
Unfortunately the KP and K-70 have a different release port that uses the Mic port. Its different than the other pentax DSLR bodies.
I wont use the Pentax app as its mediocre at best , and haven't tried the user developed one yet.
I have an actual need for a wired or wireless shutter release using a custom made field Pod for shooting low , or on a custom wheeled pod on a boom. Since Im using a 7" field monitor on these setups , I don't want the addition of yet a 3rd screen and app.

Haven't looked at the IR remote yet for the KP , although I do have a couple that I used to use with the K-30 and K-3II with so-so success.
When we have the next K-1 giveaway I will post pics of my setups , instead of trying to enter the contest for a place in the drawing.
Gives me something productive to do.

The KP doesn't even have a IR Port at all !.....currently reading my user manual

Last edited by Ronald Oakes; 07-12-2018 at 09:49 AM.
07-12-2018, 09:52 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Unfortunately the KP and K-70 have a different release port that uses the Mic port. Its different than the other pentax DSLR bodies.
I wont use the Pentax app as its mediocre at best , and haven't tried the user developed one yet.
I have an actual need for a wired or wireless shutter release using a custom made field Pod for shooting low , or on a custom wheeled pod on a boom. Since Im using a 7" field monitor on these setups , I don't want the addition of yet a 3rd screen and app.

Haven't looked at the IR remote yet for the KP , although I do have a couple that I used to use with the K-30 and K-3II with so-so success.
When we have the next K-1 giveaway I will post pics of my setups , instead of trying to enter the contest for a place in the drawing.
Gives me something productive to do.

The KP doesn't even have a IR Port at all !.....currently reading my user manual
That is surprising. No IR port? I am also surprised they changed what had been (I thought) a standard cable release system. We live and learn. Hope you work something out.

07-12-2018, 10:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That is surprising. No IR port? I am also surprised they changed what had been (I thought) a standard cable release system. We live and learn. Hope you work something out.
Im hoping that maybe I can use this with my Velo release ?

amazon.com: 2.5mm Female To 3.5mm Male 4 Poles Jack Stereo Headset Adapter (Supports Both Microphone / Mic and Headphone Functions): Cell Phones & Accessories?tag=pentaxforums-20&
07-12-2018, 10:29 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just strange that is would be incompatible with all the standard releases. Be sure to report back with your results.
07-12-2018, 10:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just strange that is would be incompatible with all the standard releases. Be sure to report back with your results.
That's the Joy of a K-70 or KP !

07-12-2018, 12:45 PM - 3 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

They changed it so that you could use a standard 3.5mm microphone to take in audio when doing video.

I brought a 3.5mm to 2.5mm audio adapter - it's four pole male, no idea about the female, I assume four pole - it cost me about $5 and works perfectly with the standard releases I had.

I've been using that for about a year, it works fine.
07-12-2018, 12:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use a phone
07-12-2018, 12:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sqrrl Quote
They changed it so that you could use a standard 3.5mm microphone to take in audio when doing video.

I brought a 3.5mm to 2.5mm audio adapter - it's four pole male, no idea about the female, I assume four pole - it cost me about $5 and works perfectly with the standard releases I had.

I've been using that for about a year, it works fine.
That's what I figured would work. I know some adapters DO....and some adapters DONT. Thanks. I have two ordered for less than $8 from Amazon
07-12-2018, 02:26 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lack of IR remote support is something that often goes overlooked on the KP. The wired remote port also doubles as the mic port, so it uses a different connector (but should work just fine otherwise).

I would recommend using the wi-fi, preferably through an app with a dedicated remote function rather than image sync.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-12-2018, 05:53 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

I bought a cheapo wired remote on amazon for about 7.00. Works great. Normal or bulb mode.
07-12-2018, 08:16 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I bought a cheapo wired remote on amazon for about 7.00. Works great. Normal or bulb mode.
For the KP ? Do you have a model or name of it ?
07-12-2018, 08:32 PM   #14
Veteran Member

For the KP ? Do you have a model or name of it ?
It was a Kiwifoto UR 232. There are none showing for Pentax now and they don't know when it will be available. I would try Ebay Ron. It was 8.99 on Amazon.
07-12-2018, 09:20 PM - 1 Like   #15

I bought this: JJC Radio Frequency Wireless Shutter Release Remote for Pentax KP K-70 as CS-310
Does the trick ��