Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2018, 12:05 PM - 8 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
New KP - I'm amazed!

Coming from many years with the K-5, and always struggling to obtain focused photos, I find that this camera is a focusing beast! Maybe all the practice that I got with the K-5 (working on every technique possible to reduce camera blur, etc.) has helped somewhat, but I can't believe how well this fine camera focuses. Makes me believe that Pentax must surely be equal to (or better than) other revered brands. The KP build quality is also outstanding - feels just as well-built and solid as my beloved K-5. I'm really looking forward to getting to know the KP!

(I'm also pleased that I snapped this up during the Amazon Lightning Deal)

07-15-2018, 12:10 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for sharing your satisfaction. Pentax has been steadily improving many features since the K-5. Autofocus on the latest cameras is very good. People who use continuous autofocus still complain but that is a limited segment of users.
07-15-2018, 12:23 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations on your new KP, and thanks for sharing your thoughts. It's great to hear that the AF difference is so noticeable. I've only tried the KP at a show, with the 55-300 PLM attached, and I must say I was pretty impressed - but I didn't know how much of the credit was due to the camera, and how much to the lens.

Enjoy that lovely new camera!
07-15-2018, 12:35 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations on the KP! But your post isnít helping me NOT buy one.

07-15-2018, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Congrats! I agree, it is wonderful.
I was an early adopter, something rare for me, and have had no regrets.
When i moved from the K10D to the K5 I said I'll never want/need a better camera.
Then came the K-S2, aperture block on it gave me the excuse to buy the KP.
07-15-2018, 01:09 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Also an early adopter I'm still very happy with mine.

When I got mine I was working as a photo/AV technician at an art school and I was using cameras from all the brands on a daily basis, so I could see a difference in the continuous AF and video AF - It's not bad at that, but other cameras are better. On the other hand, the Kp is absolutely amazing at low light, including low light focusing in single AF stills mode - I haven't used another APSC camera which can match it in the dark, so I'm quite happy with the trade off there.
07-15-2018, 01:36 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Enjoy your new K-P - nice to read some positive comments for a change!!
07-15-2018, 01:49 PM - 5 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by magmotif Quote
Coming from many years with the K-5, and always struggling to obtain focused photos, I find that this camera is a focusing beast! Maybe all the practice that I got with the K-5 (working on every technique possible to reduce camera blur, etc.) has helped somewhat, but I can't believe how well this fine camera focuses. Makes me believe that Pentax must surely be equal to (or better than) other revered brands. The KP build quality is also outstanding - feels just as well-built and solid as my beloved K-5. I'm really looking forward to getting to know the KP!

I'm very glad to hear that, I also snapped one up during the lightning deal. It was delivered several hours before I was home to open it up, I've spent last night and today (besides for Wold Cup watching) setting it up, reading about the new features (coming from K-50) and have just gotten to take a few test shots. I'm hoping in a few hours to get outside when we have better light to take it out for some more tests.

07-15-2018, 03:25 PM - 3 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

Yuup ! Glad to see you got one ! I grabbed my second one on the "Lightning " Sale and it just got here a day late (sunday).Been using a KP for a couple months now , and although I feel I gave up a few things from the K-3II , I got a few things I liked a bit more with the KP.
I can only imagine coming from a K-5 to the KP......must have been a Big Shock !
Even though I cant buy another body for a two full years or more...….Im Happy for a good long while with mine !

---------- Post added 07-15-18 at 15:32 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
Enjoy your new K-P - nice to read some positive comments for a change!!
Ive got nothing but good to say about mine ! The only negative I see …….. it still isn't the " K-4 Flagship" we have all been waiting for....lol
Close enough for me.....I jumped on board !
One of the very best things for me going with the KP..... Sold My K-3II and will never have to look at that disgusting thread on the K-3 page " Why I wont Buy a K-3" .....I detested that thread......I called it the "Thing" !

Last edited by Ronald Oakes; 07-15-2018 at 03:42 PM.
07-15-2018, 04:02 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations! KP is a wonderful camera. I’m accustomed to the ergonomics with the medium grip - it feels natural. I sold a K-3 to get the KP, so pretty much the same transition in ergonomics.
07-15-2018, 05:12 PM - 4 Likes   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Iím also starting to get a sense of the low light strengths of this camera. All I can say is WOW! Iíve read all about it and looked at the online images, but when itís experienced first-hand itís so much more impressive than I anticipated. I also have to say that the ergonomics are quickly becoming very, very familiar - one of the attributes that Iíve always appreciated from this brand.

For me, this is a flagship

07-15-2018, 08:41 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Congrats! I agree, it is wonderful.
I was an early adopter, something rare for me, and have had no regrets.
When i moved from the K10D to the K5 I said I'll never want/need a better camera.
Then came the K-S2, aperture block on it gave me the excuse to buy the KP.

So how did you find the overall performance of the KP to the K-S2? I have the K-S2 now, and am not entirely convinced the KP is enough of an upgrade; The ergonomics look kinda no-go for me. I'm waiting for the K3-III; my K-S2 is working quite well for now, but I really do want to move up to a magnesium frame, as long as it has a flippy screen.

I apologize in advance for hijacking the thread.
07-16-2018, 03:16 AM   #13
Pentaxian

magmotif: KP is an amazing camera with class leading image quality.

kozlok: KP brings so many improvements and is not prone to block aperture problem. I would definitely go for it unless you need larger buffer and faster burst rate.
07-20-2018, 01:50 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
So how did you find the overall performance of the KP to the K-S2? I have the K-S2 now, and am not entirely convinced the KP is enough of an upgrade; The ergonomics look kinda no-go for me. I'm waiting for the K3-III; my K-S2 is working quite well for now, but I really do want to move up to a magnesium frame, as long as it has a flippy screen.

I apologize in advance for hijacking the thread.
The KP is of magnesium alloy construction. I have been shooting with the KP for well over a year. I also have a K-S2, which I like as my ultra-light, compact body, as well as having my good old K-5 IIs, which is built in essentially the same design as a K-3. As far as IQ, the KP is better than either of the other two, and some of that depends on which lenses you are using. Just using the DA 18-55mm kit lens will not reveal as much difference as will a premium lens, except in low light performance, where the K-S2 is good, but the KP will easily retain better detail at higher ISO settings. The KP also has a much more advanced control set. For me, the ergonomics of the slim-bodied KP are better for handling with the more compact lenses like the Limiteds, than either the K-S2 or the thicker K-5/K-3 bodies.

---------- Post added 07-20-18 at 01:59 PM ----------

Congrats on getting the unique and excellent KP! I am wondering which lenses you are using. From your other comments, I see you are rapidly finding out its performance advantages! The K-5 is no slouch for low noise, but the KP is definitely even better. I know you'll enjoy this handsome little mighty-mouse for a long time!

Last edited by mikesbike; 07-20-2018 at 02:00 PM.