Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
07-16-2018, 01:19 PM   #1

Camera quick release plates

Can any one tell me what quick release plates work on the KP....KIrk, Manfroto, Arcatech
Maybe a Part# if some one has purchased one that works well.

07-16-2018, 01:29 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglebeach Quote
Can any one tell me what quick release plates work on the KP....KIrk, Manfroto, Arcatech
Maybe a Part# if some one has purchased one that works well.
Well any will work really since they all screw into the same hole.

There are different systems and its a good idea to aim for arca swiss compatible, lots of manufacturers and you should find something you like.
07-16-2018, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have bought some cheapo Arca plates and have no issues as long as the mount will tighten down on it properly.
07-16-2018, 11:44 PM   #4
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi Jeff, Manfrotto make a quick release system that can be used on any tripod head, and you can buy the quick release plates separately too.
Good luck.

Manfrotto 323 RC2 quick release system reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Manfrotto 200PL Quick Release Plate reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

07-17-2018, 02:46 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi Jeff, Manfrotto make a quick release system that can be used on any tripod head, and you can buy the quick release plates separately too.
Good luck.

Manfrotto 323 RC2 quick release system reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Manfrotto 200PL Quick Release Plate reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
The problem with manfrotto is they pretty much are the only supplier for their system.

with the arca swiss dovetail many manufacturers make compatible plates and clamps. So I have an arca swiss screw down type clamp on my ball head tripod. I have an L bracket that fits it, I have a few cameras that have an arca swiss plate that are always attached to my cameras. I have a long plate which also has a clamp built in at one end this allows me to position the camera so its centred over its nodal point and helps me get better panoramas (at the nodal point you can keep foreground objects centred so they do not move between frames). I have one plate that has 2 strap lugs either side which is handy for hand straps.

I have one manfrotto head sat on a shelf in a box, it really is quite useless for me. Some manfrotto heads can be converted to have an arca swiss clamp. Some longer length lenses have a plate built in to the collar (this usually is arca swiss).

Manfrotto do make nice tripods, its just that the proprietary quick release system is kinda limiting. You can of course buy manfrotto legs and get an arca-swiss compatible head.
07-17-2018, 11:40 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your input.
I am currently using a Manfroto arca swiss type clamp on my tripod. I have been using Kirk arca swiss type dovetail plates on my camera bodies. I have a couple of clamps that were purchased for bodies I no longer have. None of them will work on the KP, in that they are too large for the body. Examples: Olympus E3, Pentax K5lls. I see KIrk and Manfroto make clamps for some Pentax bodies, just not the KP specific. I imagine I will just find a universal plate that will work, however; on the product websites no dimensional specs. are given. I was hoping someone may have purchased a plate for their KP that works for the dimensions of the KP body.Some universal plates do not have the little stop protrusions on the plate so as to prevent any rotation of the plate on the camera body.
Any KP owners using a plate that works well?
Thanks again....Jeff
07-18-2018, 05:28 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was hoping someone may have purchased a plate for their KP that works for the dimensions of the KP body.Some universal plates do not have the little stop protrusions on the plate so as to prevent any rotation of the plate on the camera body.
Any KP owners using a plate that works well?
Thanks again....Jeff
I use a generic 50mm (50 x 40) Arca Swiss plate and it works fine on my KP. It has no stop protrusions to which you refer, though I see no practical need for them.

Last edited by rogerstg; 07-18-2018 at 11:03 AM. Reason: typo: changed woks to works
07-18-2018, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
I use a generic 50mm (50 x 40) Arca Swiss plate and it woks fine on my KP. It has no stop protrusions to which you refer, though I see no practical need for them.
I have one with a lip to one edge and two strap holes either side. The Tripod hole is slotted on my k5 it contacts a bulge on one side of my battery grip. I'm tempted to grind down the corner so it sits tighter on the battery grip. I've never had a problem with it slipping and turning.

For portrait mode you might find an L bracket more useful. It is always best to have the weight centred on the ball as best you can, larger balls tend to be more stable than smaller ones. I guess the worst situation is with a long heavy telephoto lens in portrait mode this will tend to act as a lever and might cause some rotation if you don't use a lens clamp or an L bracket.
07-18-2018, 11:06 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blackest Quote
For portrait mode you might find an L bracket more useful.
I think you might have opened another can of worms for the OP since, AFAIK, there is no L-bracket specifically for the KP.
07-18-2018, 01:10 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks again everyone. I have found a universal plate that will work.
07-20-2018, 06:39 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A bit late the party here but I use Peak Design plates. they work with my Benro, Sirui, and Desmond clamps. And as a prime benefit, they work with their own camera strap systems.
07-20-2018, 11:24 PM   #12

Thanks again everyone. I have found a universal plate that will work.
Which plate are you referring to? I'm still trying to find a good plate for my kp.

I have a small sirui ball-head arca-Swiss clamp. However, with my 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Tamron lens attached, the camera rotates around the 40mm Breakthrough Photography plate.

As an alternative to finding a plate with a fitting lip/stop design, someone mentioned on another thread that they use plumbers tape around the plate screw to keep it tight and flush with the camera. Has anyone had success with doing portrait photography with a small plate with plumbers tape?
07-21-2018, 06:18 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by CPLTarun Quote
Which plate are you referring to? I'm still trying to find a good plate for my kp.

I have a small sirui ball-head arca-Swiss clamp. However, with my 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Tamron lens attached, the camera rotates around the 40mm Breakthrough Photography plate.

As an alternative to finding a plate with a fitting lip/stop design, someone mentioned on another thread that they use plumbers tape around the plate screw to keep it tight and flush with the camera. Has anyone had success with doing portrait photography with a small plate with plumbers tape?
I don't doubt that you can, but should you do that?

The point of using a tripod is to provide a stable platform and screw it down harder is not a stable solution.

A combination of an L bracket and a nodal sliding rail gives you as much freedom as needed to centre the weight of your camera and lens over the top of the ball. When you have that sorted then things do not flop over when you loosen the ball, the lens doesn't droop once you finished positioning it.

If you tilt back or forward you only need to slide the rail a little to recentre the weight.
07-21-2018, 10:59 AM   #14

Thanks for letting me know about the sliding rail system. Do you know of any good rail and L-bracket that work well with the KP?

Edit: A low profile bracket would be best, to keep it as ergonomic as possible for hand holding.
07-21-2018, 04:00 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by CPLTarun Quote
Thanks for letting me know about the sliding rail system. Do you know of any good rail and L-bracket that work well with the KP?

Edit: A low profile bracket would be best, to keep it as ergonomic as possible for hand holding.
To be fair i use a generic L bracket and so is the nodal rail, mine is 200mm but the 140mm ones are maybe better 200mm is possibly too long. As long as its arca swiss and screw clamp type you can't go wrong really. If you want the lever type clamp you need to be careful as some of the chinese ones are complete rubbish.

My L bracket is about 10mm thick and is fairly flush to the bottom of the camera. If your using the camera grip and holding the lens handheld its not a problem. Maybe less so than a regular arca swiss plate as it is longer.