Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
07-30-2018, 01:14 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
I have read on another thread that Pentax "weather resistance" seems to be assumed by Pentax to mean darn near water resistant. But if the weather sealing fails, they won't repair it under warranty because water damage is not covered. Even if it's the camera or lenses fault. As such I've come to feel Pentax weather resistance is only good, valid, if it helps your gear survive a bout in inclement weather. If the sealing fails, Pentax bails.
It's like an umbrella. An umbrella is advertised to keep you dry but there's no guarantee, especially if the wind and rain pick up. You're a hell of a lot more likely to stay dry than without it though.

The big difference is that a little moisture won't kill us, but even the tiniest leak can wreak havoc inside an electronic device.

07-30-2018, 01:18 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
I have read on another thread that Pentax "weather resistance" seems to be assumed by Pentax to mean darn near water resistant. But if the weather sealing fails, they won't repair it under warranty because water damage is not covered. Even if it's the camera or lenses fault. As such I've come to feel Pentax weather resistance is only good, valid, if it helps your gear survive a bout in inclement weather. If the sealing fails, Pentax bails.
There is nothing 100% perfect. I've seen testers run a Pentax WR camera and lens under a running faucet, but with the caution-"don't try this at home". The Pentax equipment took it and kept on ticking. I've used mine having WR occasionally in rainy weather with no incident. I just wiped it all off. Of course, I also used a lens hood. WR, however, does not mean "water-proof". Actually, I am rather fond of taking my D-FA 100mm f/2.8 WR macro lens out in drippy weather, because there are many macro subjects with water droplets that make for a good image.

There is yet a higher category in the Pentax line, indicated as AW (All Weather), with even more sealing, and also maybe internal focus and zoom. But even this is not "water proof" so it is not to be dunked or put under a deluge. After all, if it is a downpour there is little, if anything, to be seen through that or photographed anyway.

Canon and Nikon, as well as others, offer weather sealing also, but with the same provisos as Pentax. But in order to get this feature, it is only offered in their very costly highest level of pro-oriented lenses.

---------- Post added 07-30-18 at 02:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TheOneAndOnlyJH Quote
It's like an umbrella. An umbrella is advertised to keep you dry but there's no guarantee, especially if the wind and rain pick up. You're a hell of a lot more likely to stay dry than without it though.

The big difference is that a little moisture won't kill us, but even the tiniest leak can wreak havoc inside an electronic device.
That is a good analogy. I thought of another- Lets say you are going to buy a high-end car with a sunroof. So the Rolls dealer says "Well our fit and finish is so precise, we don't bother putting gaskets into our sunroofs, but then under certain conditions a drop of water might get in. However, on this other model we have both the fine fit and finish and with an additional rubber gasket as further insurance".

Which model one finds more trustworthy is up to the buyer, but Rolls can say one of them has a weather resistant sunroof.

Last edited by mikesbike; 07-30-2018 at 02:17 PM.
07-30-2018, 02:57 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
That is a good analogy. I thought of another- Lets say you are going to buy a high-end car with a sunroof. So the Rolls dealer says "Well our fit and finish is so precise, we don't bother putting gaskets into our sunroofs, but then under certain conditions a drop of water might get in. However, on this other model we have both the fine fit and finish and with an additional rubber gasket as further insurance".

Which model one finds more trustworthy is up to the buyer, but Rolls can say one of them has a weather resistant sunroof.
I don't think I'd be okay with a sunroof being only WR, and definitely wouldn't settle for less... I'd be pretty pissed if my sunroof dripped, even in a complete downpour!

On the other hand, I wouldn't expect my door seals to be impervious to river or flood waters, so I do my best not to submerge them. In an emergency they'll handle some severe splashing though!
07-30-2018, 08:02 PM   #19
Pentaxian

My fave set up! Any camera + 21! But yep the problem is I don't want my set up not to be WR'd, so I got the 20-40. End of story.

Just like Mike, should Pentax release a compact WR 35mm efl, I am in.

Last edited by wed7; 07-30-2018 at 08:18 PM.
07-30-2018, 08:22 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I often use my non WR lenses, including the DA21 in light rain. put everything inside raincoat during walk. Block the lens with hand when shoot and use Comon sense. If the rain is too heavy, Don't even think about it!

You might want to put 20-40 in your list. It seem to be a very good zoom.

it is a shame, we don't have WR prime wider than 50, Weather Sealed Prime Lenses | PentaxForums.com
07-30-2018, 08:34 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
On a budget, I would get a cheap used DA-L 18-55 WR. More money, either an 18-135 (great lens, own one, perfect traveling companion) or a 20-40 Ltd (don't own, seems very nice). 18-55 DA-L is also quite light and should be about $100 in very good condition.