Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
08-24-2018, 09:08 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
KP live view shooting experience

OK next question -- how is the Live View shooting experience with the KP?

Based on reading the specs, it seems super promising. Move the lever to Live View mode, and get a "mirrorless" (or at least permanent mirror up) shooting experience. How does it pan out in real life? Is it as good as the Pentax K-01? I love shooting with the K-01, but wish it had a tilt screen and viewfinder. Somehow until now I missed that the KP promised an "almost mirrorless" experience.... while offering a tilt screen and an (optical) VF. I don't want to go backwards and have Live View like on the K5 (press a button, set up the shot in Live View, press the shutter release, then wait for the *shutter close*mirror flop*mirror flip*shutter open*shutter close*mirror flop.)

08-24-2018, 11:14 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
Is it as good as the Pentax K-01?
It's better. The K-01 actually didn't do anything special for its live view mode; it was identical to that of the K-30, and thus things simply evolved from there in the DSLR line.

The KP's live view mode will feel very familiar, but you'll enjoy a faster framerate (especially in low light) and even easier and more flexible controls with respect to zooming. They also added a second type of focus peaking for high-contrast scenarios.

*shutter close*mirror flop*mirror flip*shutter open*shutter close*mirror flop.)
This hasn't been the case since the K-3 - the mirror no longer moves as it is now decoupled from the shutter. This results in a slightly faster burst framerate in live view on the KP (this isn't officially stated in the specs) and quieter shooting.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-24-2018, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With the KP you can use the electronic shutter in LV, as long your not shooting action.
08-27-2018, 02:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Well, I use from time to time, different approach towards focusing helps often. And yes, EV is nice thing, though it still takes time for LV to blackout - not clear for me why.

08-28-2018, 01:26 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Belcik Quote
Well, I use from time to time, different approach towards focusing helps often. And yes, EV is nice thing, though it still takes time for LV to blackout - not clear for me why.
Hmmmm... if you had to guess, how long is the time between pressing the shutter and getting the exposure? (i.e. latency)
08-28-2018, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Hmmmm... if you had to guess, how long is the time between pressing the shutter and getting the exposure? (i.e. latency)
I will try making video tomorrow.

Отправлено с моего Redmi 3 через Tapatalk
08-28-2018, 01:52 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks

08-29-2018, 02:19 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Sorry for the background noises (see attachement), but you see the shutter pressing, the AF lock (green), and the ES itself.
---edit---
Somehow Windows Media Player does flickering on AVI, VLC media player does better job.
Attached Files
File Type: avi Pentax_KP_ES_LV.avi (1.66 MB, 105 views)
08-29-2018, 01:00 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Belcik, that's very helpful.
08-29-2018, 10:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I tried it out for the first time seriously last weekend as a focus aid with a new long lens (the 160-450) that I was trying out for autofocus accuracy vs manual, while I was shooting some birds down at the reserve. It worked very well - and it showed me that I have a little more tweaking to do with the autofocus point on the KP for this lens.