Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
08-27-2018, 03:06 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Battery life in video mode - an observation.

I've been using my Kp for video a bit lately - mainly because I have a 10-22 on it, it functions ok for that, not the sharpest video, but it's ok on a tripod.

Anyhow, I had a moment, and walked away from it when it was powered on. Then failed to check it later.
I went back today and it was totally dead, at which stage i realised the power switch was still on (after about 20 hours).
So I immediately yanked the battery, replaced it (camera was fine), and checked the battery.

The battery was at 0.08V - Or 80mV - Well below the level needed to power a diode, which should kill a lot of batteries.

I've charged the battery, and it seems fine for now (no guesses long term), but I'm just writing this to mention that in video mode, if left running, the camera will continue to drain the battery, even when it is seemingly off. I'm fairly sure this would have cost me a battery if i'd left it too much longer with the camera powered on (typically a battery hits 0v it's dead).

This was totally my screw up, but I feel it's worth mentioning, my other cameras will power down completely and switch off (and stop draining the battery) if you forget to switch them off.

Oh yeah...

Using an external monitor just shows the rear screen, , and this switches off the rear screen, no good for capture purposes, it's purely for monitoring.
In normal shooting when i've been working on stuff i've managed something like 600 frames, 20 odd min of video and a bit of chimping - I've done that a few times.
The video switches off after the 25 min limit, it doesn't roll over to a new file, it just stops.

Last edited by sqrrl; 08-27-2018 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Oh yeah...
08-27-2018, 08:53 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow...I would never have guessed. I want to confirm that you are saying that the 25' limit was met, but that the camera did not write the file and stayed on in live view without "going to sleep".

Steve
08-27-2018, 05:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That was a separate thing - the other things at the end were general notes.
It didn't happen at the same time - first time I used the camera for a long shot I forgot about file limits (panasonic has spoiled me) the camera wrote the file, then went back to live view. I missed about 5 min of a shoot. There may be a work around using an external intervalometer as you can use an external shutter release to trigger video if you set it that way (at the cost of no external mic).

I've actually used that feature (wired cable shutter release for video) a bunch of times, I'm not sure if it's meant to be a feature, but it's pretty useful for some things - You can't do it with other brands.

in the first part of the post (before the "Oh yeah...") I was noting
If the camera is not physically switched off, the camera goes to sleep (or at least turns off the screen), but continues to use battery until the battery is completely depleted.
09-03-2018, 06:34 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

That's strange ? Mine goes to sleep...... Hmmmm.
I think it does anyway....I better check this out.

09-03-2018, 09:23 AM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
That's strange ? Mine goes to sleep...... Hmmmm.
I checked mine after commenting above and got the following:
  • Went the full 25 minutes
  • Wrote the video to file
  • Went to sleep after 1 minute
I speculate that had the battery run out while doing the video, the file would not have been written. As for depleting the battery while asleep, that has not been my experience. However, to be honest, I can't remember ever leaving the camera on in video mode asleep overnight.

Steve
09-03-2018, 06:31 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It was depleting the battery whilst asleep that I was originally commenting on.

I have developed a habit since owning my Kp of turning the camera off when not actually shooting as it seems to extend the battery life. This could be a fault with my specific camera, though it's never been problem for me. (My K10 used to just be left on practically permanently).

I've never done this deliberately, I got called away urgently and forgot to check later.

I'm not really willing to deliberately test whether it will kill a battery by over-discharging as batteries are both useful and expensive.
09-03-2018, 06:57 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I can't remember ever leaving the camera on in video mode asleep overnight.
QuoteOriginally posted by sqrrl Quote
I'm not really willing to deliberately test whether it will kill a battery by over-discharging as batteries are both useful and expensive.
Me neither! I'm willing to leave it as one of life's great mysteries.

Steve