Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-03-2018, 11:18 AM   #1

L-bracket for KP with grip

Hi, thought I would share my setup with an L-bracket. That kinda works out of the box.

I looked around for an L-bracket to work with the grip and ended up ordering one from 3 legged thing. Had to do a rough modification to gain access to the remote shutter/microphone port. Why Pentax decided to put that port on the left hand side is a mystery to me.....but it seems to work. While waiting for someone to make a dedicated bracket for the gripped KP this could be our best bet.

When you buy the L-bracket from 3 legged thing you also get a tool with a phillips srewdriver and a hex key. Making removing the bracket for gaining access to the battery door a breeze.

/Cheers

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPad  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPad  Photo 
09-03-2018, 01:19 PM   #2

Nice work, thanks for sharing! I suppose the l bracket works without any modification if you don't use the grip?
09-03-2018, 04:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rune_Moe Quote
Hi, thought I would share my setup with an L-bracket. That kinda works out of the box.

I looked around for an L-bracket to work with the grip and ended up ordering one from 3 legged thing. Had to do a rough modification to gain access to the remote shutter/microphone port. Why Pentax decided to put that port on the left hand side is a mystery to me.....but it seems to work. While waiting for someone to make a dedicated bracket for the gripped KP this could be our best bet.

When you buy the L-bracket from 3 legged thing you also get a tool with a phillips srewdriver and a hex key. Making removing the bracket for gaining access to the battery door a breeze.

/Cheers
Model and a link to purchase? And perhaps a quick overview of how much you had to remove, metal-wise and how difficult was it?
Looks good.
PS. Believe it or not, you can use a permanent sharpie to color the metal where you cut it away to reduce reflection and attention to the mod.
09-03-2018, 09:33 PM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
If you were to use the bracket without the grip I think you would be better of buying the smaller one from 3 legged thing or some other universal bracket. The bracket from 3 legged thing allows the screen to be operated/tilted as normal. Some brackets dont from what I've seen.

To modify the bracket I bought I just used a steel file, removed about 4 milimetres. Took me about 5 minutes and will touch up with some paint I've got laying around.

Gripped dslr:

3 Legged Thing QR11-LG Universal L-Bracket - Slate (Grey)

Dslr without grip:

3 Legged Thing QR11-LG Universal L-Bracket - Slate (Grey)

I didn't order from the site itself but from a dealer here in Norway.

09-04-2018, 12:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

That is fairly expensive to be filing away at!
11-14-2018, 05:33 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I just came across this today iShhot adjustable, universal L plate. Don't know and can't tell if it would require any further modifaction to allow access to the kp's ports, but it does look like it might work with the grip:

Improved Universal L Bracket Vertical Quick Release Plate / Camera Grip for Tripod Ball Head and Canon EOS Nikon Sony Alpha Pentax Olympus Sigma Fuji Fujifilm SLR/SLT Camera --- Adjustable and Multifunctional
05-13-2020, 03:25 PM   #7

My Ishoot L-bracket that I've been using for years didn't fit so well on the KP and grip. I had to hang it off the wrong side to use it at all. Now the vertical plate rests in my hand when I grip the camera. Not ideal, but I could work with it. That Three Legged Thing grip might work, but it's pretty expensive for what it is. I wonder if the shorter one might work better, since I only need access to the microphone port to plug in my remote shutter release. I found a much cheaper alternative on Adorama: https://www.adorama.com/ulz1132.html?=adl-gbase
Seriously, what's the difference, except price? For $11, it's basically the same design without the high price. I'll post an update when I receive it to see how it fits. It looks from the measurements like it will be just under the mic door when it's installed. That would be perfect.

05-20-2020, 04:11 PM   #8

Dirt cheap L-bracket for Kp

Here's some shots of the $11 L-bracket. Works nicely. With the bracket as shown, you have access to both ports. If you snug it up against the camera, the DC-in port will be obstructed. All in all, a helluva deal.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-S727VL  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-S727VL  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-S727VL  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-S727VL  Photo 
06-24-2020, 02:21 AM   #9

I'm Looking for the L bracket for KP with grip. I se the isshot version would not work for vertical panos. So will probably go for the three legged thing version.

Thanks Rune_Moe and Snakebite with the helpful photo documentation and links..

Regards

Brent
12-15-2020, 09:21 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Bumping an old thread, but I recently picked up the SunwayFoto DPL-07 universal L plate and it works great on my KP both with and without grip. Ticks the following boxes for me: relatively cheap, can access mic/remote door both gripped and ungripped, can be converted to just base plate if desired, built-in bubble levels that I can actually see when the camera's on my tripod. It even came with a nice cloth bag for storage!