Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-15-2018, 01:20 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
KP debug mode

Is there a known way to put the KP into debug mode?
In Xitek forum, the files required to put cameras till K1 is given. Not for KP.
Any other place/link where this information is provided? Thanks

09-11-2018, 02:43 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Original Poster
KP debug mode

Is there a known way to put the KP into debug mode?
In Xitek forum, the files required to put cameras till K1 is given. Not for KP.
Any other place/link where this information is provided? Thanks

PS: Posted this in KP forum. No response. Hence posting here.
09-11-2018, 02:43 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
No one?
09-11-2018, 04:21 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For what purpose? Starting I think with the k-30? The debug mode of newer cameras is crippled and can't be used to change the sdm/screw drive DA* lenses behavior.

09-11-2018, 04:50 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The main reason is to boost the AFA values. My loaner KP and my 560 requires a +10 already. I have a feeling that a +11 or +12 would be even more accurate. I can use the debug mode to increase the values (that's what I read some where else for another body)
09-11-2018, 05:05 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by siva.ss.kumar Quote
The main reason is to boost the AFA values. My loaner KP and my 560 requires a +10 already. I have a feeling that a +11 or +12 would be even more accurate. I can use the debug mode to increase the values (that's what I read some where else for another body)
I didn't realize you could change that. Interesting.
09-11-2018, 07:10 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I tried with my K-5iis. It seemingly worked.
With debug mode, I have seen +150 (equivalent of +15) but with the menu option, only +10 is possible.
So what is the physical limit the sensor can adjust?

09-11-2018, 07:18 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I tried with my K-5iis. It seemingly worked.
With debug mode, I have seen +150 (equivalent of +15) but with the menu option, only +10 is possible.
So what is the physical limit the sensor can adjust?
As far as I know this isn't a sensor adjustment - it is a math bias to the PDAF results to skew what is considered in focus. I'm not however an expert on this. Does this debug adjustment impact all lenses or does it only affect a specific lens ID?
09-11-2018, 07:54 AM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Loaner KP? If the camera is not yours, best to not be messing with the debug menus!

That said, the need to be adjusting beyond what is available in the normal AF fine adjustment indicates a need for service of either the body or the lens.

As for what the adjustment does, @UncleVanya is correct. No changes are made to the physical sensor, only to the signal processing bias.

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Does this debug adjustment impact all lenses or does it only affect a specific lens ID?
It is a universal adjustment and has a history going back at least as far as the K10D.

Steve
09-11-2018, 08:07 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Loaner KP? If the camera is not yours, best to not be messing with the debug menus!

That said, the need to be adjusting beyond what is available in the normal AF fine adjustment indicates a need for service of either the body or the lens.

As for what the adjustment does, @UncleVanya is correct. No changes are made to the physical sensor, only to the signal processing bias.

It is a universal adjustment and has a history going back at least as far as the K10D.

Steve
Steve - thanks for confirming. I thought so. The earliest references to debug were about focus. And I was pretty sure they were global adjustments.
There's been a great deal of confusion about how global and individual interact however - does this work the same as the global in the camera? Or is this one that adds or subtracts from those values differently. I didn't think global and individual were interacting in the current models (meaning a +3 global and a -5 individual isn't a -2 but a -5 for that one lens. Or am I confused?

I would think sending the camera and lens to Precision is the way to go.
09-11-2018, 09:53 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I would think sending the camera and lens to Precision is the way to go.
OP is in India and I don't believe Ricoh/Pentax has any authorized service in that country.

As for how the debug AF adjustment affects existing per lens adjustments, I have no clue.

Steve
09-11-2018, 10:25 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OP is in India and I don't believe Ricoh/Pentax has any authorized service in that country.

As for how the debug AF adjustment affects existing per lens adjustments, I have no clue.

Steve
I missed that. Argh. That stinks.
11-10-2018, 08:35 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster

Steve
Sorry for the late reply. India has an authorised service centre for a few years now.
The loaner KP has been returned. So no longer a concern until I buy a new one
11-23-2019, 09:21 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Any news on accessing debug mode on the KP?

I know this is an old thread, but i recently discovered that the level on my KP is a bit off, and while it is not such a big deal to deal with in post, but it just bothers me. Wanted to take a look if it may be changeable in the debug menu, and do some testing with the af fine adjustment (all my lenses are on the + side of the scale).
11-26-2019, 10:28 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robiles Quote
i recently discovered that the level on my KP is a bit off,
One possible cause may be magnetic interference with the level sensor. The sensor is like a compass.

Is the problem consistent (inside/ outside), no matter where you move with the camera? Do you always have a smart watch on your wrist (or wear a necklace with a rare-earth magnet on it ) when you use the camera?