Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
09-18-2018, 06:04 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
or I will go to Manual mode, and spot meter, to take spot meter readings from a mid-tone area of the scene, then reposition the camera to take my shot. This is worth practicing. For some circumstances, the good old Manual mode is still best.
Your comment reminded me of the film days when we'd meter off of grass since it's usually close to 18% gray, or the palm of our hand, which was one stop lighter. I'm thankful that now we have instant results and histograms.

09-19-2018, 05:07 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have seen some unusual overexposure in TV mode, or is it TAV mode ? Not sure...

But the behaviour is like yours. Overexposed pics, metering by +/- scale .

Interestly, the problem dissapear when I switch camera to "M" mode... Then, suddenly +/- scale start to giving the correct JPG outputs.

As I can read - all from here suspect the spot metering is the problem. But I always have turned ON - AE metering through hole frame , so This is not the case here....

Besides that,

AE metering in M mode, works fine.

Last edited by panonski; 09-19-2018 at 05:13 AM.
09-19-2018, 06:22 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
My new KP overexposes nearly every shot

Thank you all for your replies on this issue. I am very grateful for all your helpful input. I have tried to apply your suggestions to my problem and I have notice some improvements. I have included two photos. The first is from my KP and the second is from my K3. You'll notice that the KP photo is much better than the ones of the flower I sent earlier. It still is a bit overexposed by comparison to the K3 photo. These two photo are straight out of the cameras - no retouching. Since my KP was still within the 30 day no-questions-asked return policy, I decided to return it to the store and asked for an exchange. When the replacement arrives I'll let you know if the problem was with the camera or with me (probably me). Again many thanks!!!
Attached Images

09-19-2018, 06:29 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No EXIF data, so still no way of telling what might be causing the difference.

09-23-2018, 09:57 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
No EXIF data, so still no way of telling what might be causing the difference.
I agree, since such data would give a good idea as to what is going on. Unfortunately, I am not able to instruct you as to how to include it.

There is no way in your two above examples there should be such a difference if both cameras are set for the default segmented matrix meter, and default "Bright" Custom Image setting, and shot in "P" mode with no +/- exposure compensation engaged. With approximately equal parts of bright, dark and mid-tone in a scene exposure should certainly be set by the camera quite accurately.
10-16-2018, 08:00 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
My new KP overexposes nearly every shot

I wanted to let those of you who responded to my cry for help a month ago know that I was able to exchange my original KP for another (thank you Adorama). I have now had the new KP for a couple of weeks and I am pleased to report that it works great! The problem of overexposing is completely gone. I am really enjoying getting to know this camera and I am pleased with the results that I have gotten already. I am also grateful to all of you who offered suggestions as to how to solve the problem I was experiencing. I learned a couple of things I didn't know and was reminded of things that I did know but had forgotten. Thanks everyone!
10-16-2018, 09:18 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Glad it worked out well. I've had some excellent customer service from Adorama

10-16-2018, 09:58 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm very glad you got this issue resolved. Those last two sample photos set off alarm bells for me, and the suspicion of a possible defective camera.

I now have two KP's and both work great! Even jpegs right from the camera turn out exceptionally well-processed.

I always implement "Fine Sharpening" using the thumb dial in the Custom Image menus for both the "Bright" and the "Natural" categories. I even additionally increase the "Natural" sharpness level up one notch to be equal to the default level of the "Bright" category. For most uses I have the camera set on "Bright" for best results under most circumstances, but sometimes going to "Natural", usually when dealing with very high contrast scenes. I find the KP saturates the colors well, yet does not overly exaggerate them, even in the "Bright" setting, nor does it present the magenta color cast I've noticed with older Pentax models.
10-16-2018, 11:40 AM   #24

I still think it was because it was shoot in Custom Image - Landscape. It pushes yellows and greens.
10-16-2018, 12:39 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
I agree with the other posters, spot metering on the dark brown center of the flower is the most likely cause.
Either that or metering to follow AF point.

For the OP...glad you got a replacement camera and it all sorted out!

Steve