Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2018, 02:50 PM   #1
Pentaxian

KP focus peaking behavior

Hi all. I've managed to borrow a KP while my K-S2 is being repaired. I do a lot of macro shooting and use LV with focus peaking when I'm doing it. Something I've noticed with the KP is that the focus peaking outlines disappear when any pressure is applied to the shutter release button (similar to the way magnified live view is deactivated with pressure on the release). I'm pretty sure this does not happen with my K-S2, though I don't have it on hand to prove it. As far as I remember, the K-S2 focus peaking indication remains visible through shutter actuation. Have I got something set incorrectly, or is this just how the KP operates?

On playing with the KP's "edges only" focus peaking, it too deactivates with pressing the shutter release.

On further investigation, it would appear that the focus peaking doesn't disappear if the camera is set to Autofocus, but it does in MF. I'll have to see what happens using a manual focus lens with the body set to AF. I'll post my results when I get a chance.

Last edited by Thagomizer; 10-05-2018 at 02:59 PM. Reason: added stuff
10-05-2018, 04:02 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just tried it with my KP. In autofocus mode, the edges do not disappear when pressing the shutter release. In manual focus mode when the shutter is depressed halfway the edges do disappear. I never noticed this before.
10-05-2018, 06:21 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just tried my A 50/1.7 and M50/1.7. Focus peaking indicator disappears when shutter release is pressed whether the camera is set for AF or MF. This is unfotunate. I'm thinking of upgrading to the KP, but this behavior would make my macro work harder to do. Not impossible, but a bit more awkward.

I'm liking a lot of things about the KP, including better high ISO performance, higher resolution and better SR. This is the first potential roadblock. I wonder if this is an issue that could be addressed with a firmware update?
10-08-2018, 11:31 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I have just tried this issueon my KP. And focus peaking is visible all the time, regardless of pushing or not pushing the shutter button. FW 1.10.

10-10-2018, 08:56 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cport Quote
I have just tried this issueon my KP. And focus peaking is visible all the time, regardless of pushing or not pushing the shutter button. FW 1.10.
Was the body set to MF? It's this setting on the body, or the use of a manual focus lens that caused the focus peaking to cut out on touching the shutter release. Using an AF lens with the body set to AF shows no such interruption. What combination of lens and body setting were you using?
10-10-2018, 03:05 PM   #6
Pentaxian

KP + DA 40 ... focus peaking is always visible, regardless of AF vs MF or pressing or not pressing the shutter button
10-10-2018, 05:18 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply. Interesting. Maybe the one I was using has a problem. Do you have a manual lens you could try on your KP?
10-10-2018, 08:56 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just tried it on mine, with both auto and manual lenses (DA 21mm and M 28mm). Focus peaking with the DA lens works even when touching the shutter if camera is in AF mode, but once switched to MF the focus peaking disappears when tapping the shutter. With the manual lens, focus peaking disappears when the shutter is tapped regardless of AF mode. I'm still on firmware 1.00, though, since I haven't bothered to update to 1.10 yet.

--Steve

10-11-2018, 02:05 PM   #9

Just to confirm, using the latest KP firmware, the only combination in which focus peaking does not disappear during half-shutter actuation is when using an autofocus-capable lens in AF mode. If you use any manual focus lens, or disable AF capability on your camera, focus peaking will disappear with half-shutter press.

I suppose the activation of the autofocus motor is the trigger for this implementation, though it would be nice if a optional override could be added via software. I can understand the need for focus peaking when doing handheld macro photography (though quick-shift macro lenses work the way you want them to), but personally I'd like all my lenses to disable focus peaking with half-shutter press, because I like the type 2 focus peaking, but I still want a preview before I take a shot.
10-11-2018, 03:30 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for testing this out.
08-17-2020, 04:15 PM   #11
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
So the last message on this thread is two years old ... Have there been any more updates to this focus peaking issue? My whole point for wanting to use focus peaking (which I've not yet had on a camera, but I'm shopping) is for use with my manual lenses; if I can't use it for my manual lenses, it seems pretty useless to me....
08-18-2020, 04:44 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cometguy Quote
My whole point for wanting to use focus peaking (which I've not yet had on a camera, but I'm shopping) is for use with my manual lenses; if I can't use it for my manual lenses, it seems pretty useless to me....
It only disables on MF when the shutter is half pressed. IMO that's a benefit, not a problem. I use focus peaking when setting up the shot, but when I half press the shutter, I like the preview to clear up before the shot.
08-18-2020, 08:05 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cometguy Quote
So the last message on this thread is two years old ... Have there been any more updates to this focus peaking issue? My whole point for wanting to use focus peaking (which I've not yet had on a camera, but I'm shopping) is for use with my manual lenses; if I can't use it for my manual lenses, it seems pretty useless to me....
It depends on your needs. One of mine is shooting handheld macro, often at greater than 1:1. The DOF is so shallow that placement of the plane of sharp focus is critical. It's probably the only time I really use peaking. Cutting out like it does on shutter press makes it a little more challenging. If I really want it, I still have my K-S2. Any other time I'm using mf lenses, it's not macro, and I'm using the optical viewfinder and focus confirmation rather than live view, as DOF is much greater, and focusing is not so minutely critical. Your needs for manual focus lenses might be different.
08-21-2020, 07:18 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
In rereading this thread, it dawned on me that I could use my AF macro lenses differntly. I can leave the camera set to AF, but focus as I usually do, by moving the camera back and forth. Duh! Doing this means I don't lose focus peaking on shutter press. I have to switch to manual focus if I want to change the level of magnification, and switch it back on after, but no big deal. Just a slight adjustment to how I do things. It doesn't solve the issue for my manual focus macro set-ups, but being able to reduce the extent to which this represents a problem is good. Every little bit helps!