Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2018, 10:16 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
That is a great review, well done !!
Superb pictures ... well "executed". Great technique too.

This really makes me want to get that KP for birding, no kidding.
I don't need super fast AF as long as it does the job. Frame rate? ... I don't really care.
High ISO handling ... now THAT is what I need.

Tired of waiting for the "K3 replacement", if that ever materializes.
so far I've found the high ISO to be as good as the K5, and I anecdotally can shoot at higher ISOs that don't make me cringe when I pixel peep.
I say anecdotally because I haven't done any formal sort of tests. I think they are nearly identical up until you get into the 6400+ range, then I think the KP wins out. I've shot up to ISO 10,000 and 12,000, which I never would've done with the K5IIs, and the images looked perfectly usable.

This is something I think I will test, since i have both cameras etc... I'll do a couple identical tests, side-by-side, and post the results.

11-06-2018, 07:51 AM - 3 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Excellent review. While I've always regarded the KP as under-rated (and unfairly maligned by the "I want a flagship APS-C" crowd), I just assumed, with nearly everyone else, it wasn't a very good option for sports or action photography. Obviously not the case. And I'll admit that the remark about the buffer clearing fast with fast cards is something I've noticed as well, although I didn't draw the obvious conclusions.
11-06-2018, 08:02 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

Thanks for the excellent review and images. You don't really know if folks know what they are talking about until you see the images.
11-06-2018, 07:00 PM - 3 Likes   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I wanted to post this one from last weekend, full size... because I think with the rain coming down and the slight motion blur, it's really rad...
Plus it shows off the image quality of the KP + this lens, in nasty conditions...

Small version below, full size linked ---> here

(Pentax KP, Tamron 70-200, 1/640s, ISO 320, f/3.5

11-06-2018, 08:45 PM - 3 Likes   #20
Forum Member

I want a KP now.

Thanks
11-07-2018, 08:24 PM - 3 Likes   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AsahiGlass Quote
I want a KP now.

Thanks
Just Do it! You won't regret it is something I am certain about. I love to help folks spend their money!
11-08-2018, 07:38 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Pentaxian

Great write up and photos! I could not agree more with everything you wrote- I am totally in love with my KP.

01-01-2019, 05:26 PM - 2 Likes   #23

Really enjoyed your review, khardur, and frankly thanks for "ramblin'" a bit, because your longer descriptions, matched with a ton of beautiful pics, really helps me understand the advantages of a KP. Much appreciated!
01-03-2019, 04:03 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Pentaxian

Thanks for the effort and detailed images. A KP is sitting in the box untouched waiting for the screen protector to arrive. My K-3 has served me to the point of just one sensitive spot left on the shutter button after years doing middle and high school sports and daily school events. Arthritic thumbs, A, F, and Ltd. lenses will certainly enjoy their new home. When I saw the sewn seams on the football jerseys and the B/W portrait eye detail, plus your recommendations, I realized this will be a heck of an image maker.
01-03-2019, 06:33 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by lukulele Quote
Thanks for the effort and detailed images. A KP is sitting in the box untouched waiting for the screen protector to arrive. My K-3 has served me to the point of just one sensitive spot left on the shutter button after years doing middle and high school sports and daily school events. Arthritic thumbs, A, F, and Ltd. lenses will certainly enjoy their new home. When I saw the sewn seams on the football jerseys and the B/W portrait eye detail, plus your recommendations, I realized this will be a heck of an image maker.
What screen protector do you recommend? My KP is due in tomorrow (so excited) and you make a good point about getting one...
01-03-2019, 07:51 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

I’ve used the ACMAXX on K-7, K-5, K-3, and K-01 with excellent results. Evidently there is now a specific KP version, I’ll follow up next week on the fit over the screen and ease of application.
01-05-2019, 05:28 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lukulele Quote
I’ve used the ACMAXX on K-7, K-5, K-3, and K-01 with excellent results. Evidently there is now a specific KP version, I’ll follow up next week on the fit over the screen and ease of application.
I'm interested, because of the fit problem for the KP version noted on the customer product review on the E-auction site selling it.
01-05-2019, 05:58 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Thagomizer Quote
I'm interested, because of the fit problem for the KP version noted on the customer product review on the E-auction site selling it.
I ordered a Brotect Glass protector for my KP screen for less than half the fleabay price directly from the maker in Germany. Including shipping.
01-05-2019, 07:52 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I ordered a Brotect Glass protector for my KP screen for less than half the fleabay price directly from the maker in Germany. Including shipping.
Did it fit okay? I think I saw someone in my recent looking on this subject where it didn't quit fit right.
01-05-2019, 08:09 PM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
There are plenty of diehard K5 and K3 users who underestimate the KP.
Naw, we don't underestimate the K-P. We want the 23 shot buffer, and the 8fps and the two card slots. From the K-P we want the accelerator chip, and Pixel Shift and improved AF and flippy screen in a body that has it all. I'm not sure how that would ever translate into underestimating. For my use, a lot of wildlife and bird shots, it's just not as good a camera, but it does have things to offer.

Last edited by normhead; 10-03-2019 at 06:16 AM.