Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2018, 07:57 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Miguel, I just saw your portrait shot using the KP and DA 40mm Limited, posted in the "Post your best KP shots" thread. I left a response there also. Very nice! Good handling of the lighting.

12-13-2018, 08:17 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
If you use large lenses though the grip is likely substandard. You really need the battery grip for mid and larger lenses.

The user interface is great and I like it more than the K1.
Apparently you need the battery grip for mid and larger lenses. Whether the OP does, depends on experience and methods developed - I have been using the Pentax-DA 55-300mm PLM lens with no problems .... and I have not used anything larger than the smallest grip on my KP - but I learned to use old something-300mm lenses on my Super Program {and as you can see from my signature photo, both the camera (on far left) and grip were smaller than the KP (on far right) and its smallest grip}.
12-14-2018, 10:55 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Apparently you need the battery grip for mid and larger lenses. Whether the OP does, depends on experience and methods developed - I have been using the Pentax-DA 55-300mm PLM lens with no problems .... and I have not used anything larger than the smallest grip on my KP - but I learned to use old something-300mm lenses on my Super Program {and as you can see from my signature photo, both the camera (on far left) and grip were smaller than the KP (on far right) and its smallest grip}.
I remember when the little bump on the battery door of the Canon AE-1 was considered an ergonomic advancement. The year was 1981. It was a vertical raised edge about 1/8" tall and wide x 1" long on the right side of the body. It wasn't to help hold the camera up to take a photo. It improved grip while holding the camera relaxed, down by one's side. Then, like now, the left hand held up the camera and the right hand helped steady the aim and worked the controls.
Attached Images

Last edited by rogerstg; 12-14-2018 at 12:27 PM. Reason: added AE1 ad photo
12-15-2018, 02:28 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Maybe with the 150-450 or the 560mm, but I used the Sigma 120-400 HSM @ 4 pounds without the grip on multiple occasions since a lens that heavy is supported by the off hand on the mounting ring when shooting hand held.

12-15-2018, 03:10 PM - 6 Likes   #20
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sqrrl Quote
I frankly don't trust the weather sealing as much
I do. This is sitting on the floor of a moving Zodiac. In Antarctica. In a blizzard.

12-15-2018, 06:37 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I do. This is sitting on the floor of a moving Zodiac. In Antarctica. In a blizzard.
That specifically was - I don't trust the weather sealing on the Kp as much as that on the K10. My Kp has been out in all sorts of weather (though admittedly not Antarctica, I'm slightly jealous). The weather sealing on the Kp is very good, and far better than most of the big name professional cameras, but it doesn't have locking flaps and suchlike that the K10 did.

The K10 is a tank - mine's been bounced all over Australia and New Zealand in every weather condition I could throw at it, apart from the Auto exposure going screwy it's never missed a beat, I still use it pretty often though I'm starting to get concerned about the availability of replacement batteries.
12-16-2018, 07:53 PM - 3 Likes   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I know some KP users are fond of larger lenses but I don't number myself among them: my lenses range from the minuscule (DA 40 Ltd) to the smallish pancake (DA 21mm Ltd) to my seemingly enormous DA 10-17mm fisheye zoom (which to my surprise was barely larger than another Rokinon fisheye I used to own for a micro-four-thirds camera). None of which require either a larger battery grip or the largest size interchangeable grip that the camera came with.

All in all, from my perspective - as a former K200d user who has now sold his K200d and totally converted to being a quite happy (so far) KP fan(atic) and user, the camera is doing quite nicely in the two areas I was initially worried (or wondering) about---color rendition....and OVF viewfinder brilliance-general usability.

The RAW (DNG) files from my KP are every bit as good as those from my old K200d (which, I have to say, again, weren't merely good but, between 100-200 ISO, were superb) --- and the Pentaprism is slightly-but-noticeably brighter than that of the K200d's supposedly inferior pentamirror. Though, truth be told, in my side-by-side comparison viewings with the KP and the K200d, it (the Pentaprism) wasn't ALL that much brighter (to my eyes, at least) than its (pentamirror) K200d sibling.

Bottom line: in my admittedly prejudiced opinion, it (my KP) is a beautifully designed camera.....which is delivering fine images.
This one was taken with the DA 40.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
12-17-2018, 03:38 AM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That specifically was - I don't trust the weather sealing on the Kp as much as that on the K10. It doesn't have locking flaps and suchlike that the K10 did.
But the KP's battery grip *does* have a locking battery flap. The photo I showed has the D-BG7. It's every bit as well sealed as the K10D.
12-17-2018, 04:06 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I haven't used the battery grip, the K10 has twist locks on the SD card and the battery on the body.
12-17-2018, 08:13 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The photo itself is better than any explanation.
12-21-2018, 10:01 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I haven't used the battery grip, the K10 has twist locks on the SD card and the battery on the body.
SO does the KP's grip.
12-21-2018, 12:52 PM   #27
Veteran Member

There's an sd card on the Kp's optional grip? - that's really clever.
12-21-2018, 08:46 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There's an sd card on the Kp's optional grip? - that's really clever.
Only storage as I understand. Read this thread: available battery grips for KP - PentaxForums.com
07-16-2019, 11:33 AM   #29
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Only storage as I understand. Read this thread: available battery grips for KP - PentaxForums.com
that's correct - it's just a little "handy storage slot" to keep the sd card in.

the big problem with the b-grip from my perspective is that the mounting screw hole is offset sideways (towards the side opposite the gimbal arm), so you can't use the camera on a gimbal mount if the b-grip is attached.
07-16-2019, 03:33 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have no problem whatsoever with the DA 300* on my KP, even when I add the 1.4X.