Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
12-02-2018, 01:24 PM - 1 Like   #1

Legacy lenses and the KP

I have just bought a KP, I have some legacy lenses [SMC M & A series] that I use with my LX. However I still cannot figure out how to achieve this, I connect the lens turn the dial to manual but am unable to set an f stop!

I must seem a bit dim, but I find the manual not much help.

I know that I will kick myself, but I could use some assistance, anybody.

Cheers

12-02-2018, 01:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Using Manual Lenses (M42 Screwmount, M , K) on Pentax DSLRs F-- - PentaxForums.com
12-02-2018, 01:39 PM   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

you'll only be able to set the aperture with the camera with an "A" series lens, and then only with the lens set to "A"...
12-02-2018, 01:44 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The manual is rather cryptic on use of lenses where the aperture ring is required to set the f-stop. This includes all K and M series K-mount glass as well as all M42 lenses. A-series lenses should work fine in all exposure modes as long as the aperture ring is locked in the "A" position.

The short answer is that first you must enable the aperture ring in the custom menu:
menu --> C4 --> 24. Using Aperture Ring --> enabled
Unless this is done, the camera will not stop the lens down for exposure. The second point is that you must be in M, X, or B modes for stop-down to work. The third point is that in-camera metering must be done with the lens stopped down. This last may be accomplished in M mode only by use of the green button or optical DOF preview to stop the lens down to allow either automated or manual selection of appropriate shutter speed. Note that ISO is always manual in M mode.

There is a good starting place with links to detailed instructions at the page below:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/110658-...x-dslrs-f.html
There is also a second thread discussing some of the quirks of stop-down metering on Pentax dSLRs:
Stop-down metering, why it is a problem, and how to make it work - PentaxForums.com

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-02-2018 at 02:03 PM. Reason: More better link
12-02-2018, 02:51 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by macabee Quote
I have just bought a KP, I have some legacy lenses [SMC M & A series] that I use with my LX. However I still cannot figure out how to achieve this, I connect the lens turn the dial to manual but am unable to set an f stop!

I must seem a bit dim, but I find the manual not much help.

I know that I will kick myself, but I could use some assistance, anybody.

Cheers
For your A type lenses, leave the aperture ring at the A setting and use them just as you would a DA lens, except with manual focus.

The link in post #2 should have you covered for M lenses

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-02-2018, 09:34 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just got my KP last week thanks to the deal tip-off from this forum. I’ve moved up from a K-30. I also have several M lenses which I’ve used on the K-30 with the instructions referenced above. I agree with the OP that the manual isn’t much help as I wondered if M use on the KP was any different than the K-30. User4, U4, on the mode dial seems to be set up for the M lenses, including aperture ring enable.

You need to input lense focal length at Rec. Mode Menu 4 when using U4.

Last edited by Ranchwagon; 12-02-2018 at 09:58 PM.
12-02-2018, 10:25 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ranchwagon Quote
User4, U4, on the mode dial seems to be set up for the M lenses, including aperture ring enable.
Wow...that is something new. I have no hands-on experience with the KP, but my K-3 came with the User modes undefined (default values). Are the other four User modes also pre-programmed?

Steve

12-02-2018, 10:38 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Wow...that is something new. I have no hands-on experience with the KP, but my K-3 came with the User modes undefined (default values). Are the other four User modes also pre-programmed?

Steve
Yes, except U5 which appears to be open or not pre-setup.
U1: HDR landscape
U2: Macro
U3: Astrophoto
U4: Manual
I don’t know enough to explain these other than it says optimal settings are automatically selected.
12-02-2018, 10:42 PM - 3 Likes   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yes, except U5 which appears to be open or not pre-setup.
U1: HDR landscape
U2: Macro
U3: Astrophoto
U4: Manual
I don’t know enough to explain these other than it says optimal settings are automatically selected.
Cool! After I posted my comment above, I took a look at the user manual and there it was on page 108. I learn something new every day.

Steve
12-03-2018, 09:32 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

I just got my KP last week thanks to the deal tip-off from this forum. I’ve moved up from a K-30. I also have several M lenses which I’ve used on the K-30 with the instructions referenced above. I agree with the OP that the manual isn’t much help as I wondered if M use on the KP was any different than the K-30. User4, U4, on the mode dial seems to be set up for the M lenses, including aperture ring enable.

You need to input lense focal length at Rec. Mode Menu 4 when using U4.
Thanks ! You will also find the KP is EVERYTHING the K30 wasn't....its a direct Fit as a replacement
12-22-2018, 03:14 AM   #11
Forum Member

Hi Ronald. Does the kp handle. Like the k30. Concerned about size of grip.
12-22-2018, 08:27 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ubjy Quote
I'm not "Ronald" - but I did switch from a K-30 to a KP a couple of weeks ago. Personally I find KP handles at least as well as the K-30 - and I'm using the small grip all the time. Of course, forty years ago, back in the "dark ages", I learned to cradle the camera body in my right hand and use my left hand to hold the lens, which allowed me to handle systems like the one below with no issues.

Last edited by reh321; 12-22-2018 at 08:35 AM.
12-22-2018, 12:08 PM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I'm not "Ronald" - but I did switch from a K-30 to a KP a couple of weeks ago. Personally I find KP handles at least as well as the K-30 - and I'm using the small grip all the time. Of course, forty years ago, back in the "dark ages", I learned to cradle the camera body in my right hand and use my left hand to hold the lens, which allowed me to handle systems like the one below with no issues.

I agree completely. I have been using the small grip since I bought my KP, and I also cradle the lens. It is my favorite camera, and handles like a dream for me.
12-22-2018, 01:12 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’m using the Medium grip because I have large hands. The KP handles like a SuperPROGRAM, batter fir me than the K-3.
12-22-2018, 06:20 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ubjy Quote
I wouldn't say its very close. The KP feels much less in the hand to me than the K30.....its small !